Oh nooo!!!!

Lol, hed wanna be wearing his helmet :) What I meant was, it wouldnt offer a significant measurable degree of resistance, no matter which way it turned itself, even if it was capable of midfall muscular control/reflex to that degree. A chams body is designed to mimic leaves, its not in anyway aerodynamic.

Its rib structure is designed to spread the impact across a wider area and therefore lessen it to a degree (like a sping action) but thats about its only helpful adaption for the defense mechanism. (falling, playing dead).

They may look like a leaf, but they certainly dont fall like one!

watch this Ambanja

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJoW8m3s49E

Last edited:
Notice that i did not say chameleon can glide and fall like a leaf.
I am just saying that the chameleon will inhale and enlarge its body to soften the fall.

It is an oversimplification by saying almost like a parachute.
I am just trying to get the point across without writing a whole essay about chameleon adaptations.
The rib itself is designed to handle such impact.

But, hey... don't take my word for it. I am sorry that I am not eloquent enough to explain
;)

Notice that i did not say chameleon can glide and fall like a leaf.
I KNOW!! I was just clarifying that a little!
you said...
they flattened their body and enlarged their body surface so it slows the speed of the fall (like a parachute).
I am just trying to get the point across without writing a whole essay about chameleon adaptations.
But, hey... don't take my word for it.
I am sorry that I am not eloquent enough to explain
Id prefer a more factual, educational version actually, you obviously know alot about chams and you're clearly not illiterate, why not share?

Nothing wrong with a well written essay :)
you'd be surprised what some folk will take literally!

I thought an eloquent clarification would be considered more polite than just saying....

"Crap! Your parachute analogy couldnt be more misleading. Nothing about a chameleons body design will in any way mimic the function of a parachute, aka slowing descent. A falling chameleon will still plummet to the ground . Your mixing fact with pure imaginitive supposition! , make your point, state a fact, dont embelish it!"

Which no doubt you'd have gotten upset by since it much less kind, everyones telling me to be kinder...No pleasing some folk!
Sorry my interest in chameleons encompasses more than simply keeping them alive! :)

Last edited:
Years ago I had a fischer's multi that would "jump" from the valance above the sliding glass door. He could have climbed down the curtain but he would chose to "jump". He would spread/splay all four legs and inflate his body. As he hit the floor, the legs would take some of the force and he would exhale/deflate. He did this many times and never hurt himself. Not exactly a parachute but definitely a survival tactic IMHO.

Years ago I had a fischer's multi that would "jump" from the valance above the sliding glass door. He could have climbed down the curtain but he would chose to "jump". He would spread/splay all four legs and inflate his body. As he hit the floor, the legs would take some of the force and he would exhale/deflate. He did this many times and never hurt himself. Not exactly a parachute but definitely a survival tactic IMHO.
Just the image of that in my head makes me laugh. >_<

Sorry my interest in chameleons encompasses more than simply keeping them alive! :)

No problem. :) is that an apology or another sarcasm?;)
Either way, i am fine with it.
You are entitled to have your opinion.
No one asking you to please anybody.
Just to show some respect. And, I do think that you have implement it well in your recent posts. At least, I can see you are trying to. Perhaps you read the word 'eloquent' in my post a little a bit too far. I apologize for that.

my point is there is a downside in communicating via forum.
With the absence of benefits in direct conversation (i.e: being able to see body gesture and facial emotion), it is easy for people to 'appear' disrespectful.

Therefore, be careful on using language that appear to have double meaning as insults. This is not 'pleasing.' Just common sense and good conducts.

Thanks for your involvement in the forum, Jojackson.

Last edited:
With the absence of benefits in direct conversation (i.e: being able to see body gesture and facial emotion), it is easy for people to 'appear' disrespectful.

Exactly! Its so very easy to forget that when banging out posts on the keyboard. A few reprimands WERE warranted, Even I thought 'Ouch' after re-reading one or two of my posts, but I feel that for the most part, this is indeed the case, Its not my intention to be abrasive at all (we all have off days), but you cant see me smiling, so my text takes on new , often totally different meaning.

Thing is, the reader dosent consider that anymore than the writer. This the internet. :)
cheers

Rofl! amazing, looks like a skydiver. I notice its tail kinds streams out behind it, dosent seem to lend much 'steering' as such though, looks like it just sort of 'throws itself' in the direction it wants.
Id freak if mine did that! I wonder if thats just a particularly adventurous/suicidal cham or do jacksons behave in this manner in general? :)
Any jacky keepers?

Lol, she didnt like him did she! Notice how she bounced on the soft leaf litter. That would probably be risky tactic for a heavily gravid female you'd think.

Never seen a cham move so fast!

Yes isnt that unexpected for such a slow careful moving critter! Natures full of surprises!

For the most part, they can handle a fall like that, but if they hit the ground in the wrong position, they can die. This unfortunately happened to me about a month ago. I was doing a photo shoot with a 3 month old ambilobe. I just finished taking the pictures and was taking him back to his cage and he fell from my hands. Poor guy lasted 5 minutes before succombing to his injuries :(

So be careful.

Sorry to hear that Lance :(

Depending on the age a 4 foot fall isnt going to do much if any damage...a young cham will due to developing bones ect.

Ive heard several of my cham cause a loud ThUd when they hit the cage floor from falls and they have always been ok. If your conserned though just monitor its movements and make sure everything looks to be working ok.

Back
Top Bottom