Oh No!! Really paniking now!

lizgentry

Hi

I have a little veiled chameleon (4 months old) and she got a UV burn about a month ago. I have been treating in and it seemed to be getting better.

Then, two days ago she ate but not as much as normal, yesterday she didnt eat and she didnt eat today either. She is still drinking and poo is fine.

She is moving around her viv as normal.

But, today, when i checked on her the skin over her burn is really scabby and flaking, her skin on that whole side looks bumpy and loose and is a really cloudy colour compared to her other side. And she was on the floor of the viv (she does this every so often but with her skin being funny its paniked me)

I cant post a pic as she wont stay still - she doesnt flinch tho when you touch the bad side.

I have a vets appointment as early as i could get one (4.30pm tomorrow). I spoke to 4 vets on the phone and one said she may need hospitalisation!

Im really paniking now... What if she doesnt make it to 4.30 tomorrow? Thats 27hrs away!

Thats what i thought at first too but...

Its only on one side, the skin on that side is really loose too and, she just shed 3 weeks ago.

I really hope its just a shed but i have a sinking feeling that it isnt! Hmmm

Do chams often go off food when they are due to shed?

I have one male veiled that will stop eating the day before he sheds, it usually only takes him one day to fully shed and he is eating again. Those two days with out food don't seem to hurt him.

Hope everything comes out ok with you baby. Let us know.

Thanks guys!

Its like having a child! I am going to have to find something to do to stop me checking on her every 2 mins for the next 26 hrs!

UV burn? Are you sure? UV burns are pretty rare. Usually, a UV bulb will cause eye and physiological problems LONG before it burns.

Do you mean a thrermal burn? Where the skin was actually burnt? That is from a heat bulb.

Um ... yeah it was a uv burn ... or so i was told ... Here is a pic from the day after we noticed it.

I have been treating it with repti-wound aid (zoomed) as was recommended but it looks really scappy and flaky now.

Heres the pic..

009-1.jpg

Thanks

what from? You would need intense UV light to do that - and seriously - it looks like a thermal burn. What kind of UV lights were you using - exact brand and model. And what kind of basking light are you using, wattage, proximity to the cage,etc.

The set up at the time was really wrong and i have it all sorted now.

At the time it was a exo terra compact top - not the dual one and she was about 3 inches away from the bulb.

I was mis - sold equipment and given bad advice (at the time) that was around 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Im using a completely different set up now tho and asides from her skin she seems happy.

The burn did seem to be healing really well literally until this morning when i noticed the problems in the OP.

Thanks

I think it's probably a shed too. Chameleons sometimes shed in sections. Monitor it for a few days, but don't get too worried just yet.

Back
Top Bottom