Oh crap!

peanut butter is like crack to roaches, put a small enough dollop of some in the middle of your sticky traps out of reach and they will get stuck faster.

After dealing with a very stubborn mouse problem for the last 2 years(house is almost 100 yrs old) that we finally have control of, the LAST thing I want is roaches. Lol. Thats why the rat idea creeped me out so bad. These damn mice were almost Impossible to get rid of.

Here in California red runners are wild they’ll take over your house but I think you’ll be fine the colder weather is almost here I really doubt they could survive your kind of winter lol

They are a desert species, they can handle most extremes, depending on whether you have substrate they can burrow in or not, depends on whether they can handle the extreme cold you guys deal with XD.

Ive been MIA for a while now and this is one of the first things I read coming back on.....I need this giggle. Although I don't mean to laugh at your pain @Scottsquatch, it was still pretty funny.

@Andee I'm really creeped out by the spiders....and the fact that you talk about them like they are the greatest thing in the word. New respect for you , but a big NOPE for me! Rats I can handle....spiders...not a chance!

Found two runners in the living room. They are migrating up from the basement. Im going to buy a ton of poison and sticky strips again tommorrow. If my colonies die I can just replace them.

I love my spiders <3 I just got a new species in who is endangered in it's native country, these are from a couple CB colonies and I hope if ever needed I can help supply the one's in the native countries if it becomes that bad. They make pink webs <3

We had rats last winter, living in the woods it's pretty much one biblical plague after another... frogs included. I hunted them around the house with bait, night vision, and a pellet gun. It was summer and I teach so I had the time...but I digress...

Diatomaceous earth, while messy, might provide a minefield they can't cross if your basement only has one way up and an area they have to traverse- the benefit is it's not poison, cheap, and slightly less messy than rolls of fly tape or sticky traps. But if it were me, I'd take my colonies to the car or a friends or a local store for a few days, hire a proper exterminator (which you are going to tell your wife is because- and this is the truth- the mice WILL be back this winter if you don't do a treatment now) and tell him to spray for bugs while he's at it.

We had rats last winter, living in the woods it's pretty much one biblical plague after another... frogs included. I hunted them around the house with bait, night vision, and a pellet gun. It was summer and I teach so I had the time...but I digress...

Diatomaceous earth, while messy, might provide a minefield they can't cross if your basement only has one way up and an area they have to traverse- the benefit is it's not poison, cheap, and slightly less messy than rolls of fly tape or sticky traps. But if it were me, I'd take my colonies to the car or a friends or a local store for a few days, hire a proper exterminator (which you are going to tell your wife is because- and this is the truth- the mice WILL be back this winter if you don't do a treatment now) and tell him to spray for bugs while he's at it.

Living in the woods is always an adventure, our plaque consists of flying squirrels! My husband last year shot 48 of them, and they are still here, beady eyed boogers!

After dealing with a very stubborn mouse problem for the last 2 years(house is almost 100 yrs old) that we finally have control of, the LAST thing I want is roaches. Lol. Thats why the rat idea creeped me out so bad. These damn mice were almost Impossible to get rid of.

We live in an old house also, I think mice are part of the package! We have lived here for15 years and we still have that one wall where the little boogers get in and die every winter, dead mice in the wall is the worse smell ever:mad:

You must get pretty cold temps in Minnesota, I would think once the cold weather hits it should kill the "escapees" off. I have had some escape too, but they were never seen again after the winter, not to say they are not hiding somewhere...my hats off to you, good luck(y)

My cat caught a mouse the other day. I can lend her out in exchange for some roaches, haha :p

Sounds like a plan to me:D Though I am not sure my husband would agree, as he is super allergic and I think he likes to be able to breath..haha:ROFLMAO:

I love flying squirrels squirrels! When I was a guide up by the border I used to feed them off the deck of the cabin! They are fascinating animals.

Rocky or bullwinkle?

Haha, I choose Bullwinkle(y)

@hopps31 said..."our plaque consists of flying squirrels! My husband last year shot 48 of them, and they are still here"...why would you shoot them?? :(

I know it sounds so harsh but they are so DESTRUCTIVE, way more than mice. They have destroyed our attic, the insulation in our walls, and have put holes in our roof eaves. We tried calling a few different environmental groups and they just said "sorry we can not help". We tried trapping them, they are smart once we released them they came right back. We also tried rat traps once they smell there own kinds blood they will not go in that trap again. So we actually tried smearing some blood around and they chewed a hole through different parts of our eaves where the blood was not. We also tried moth balls, different types of animal urine, and nothing, literally this as been a 15 year struggle. We have not shot any in over a year, even unfortunately having to resort to shooting them it did not at all take care of the problem:( They still glide through my hair at night when I walk our dog:mad:

Glide through hair?? Wow!

Getting rid of them will likley always only be a temporary solution....and can even make matters worse. Whenever a space is created by removing the wildlife by killing, trapping or whatever, the space will just fill in again. Its a "law" of nature. And in addition to that the numbers may increase because the space being vacant when the new ones spread into the empty space means more food, etc so they produce bigger "clutches". It's better to find a solution to the destruction and wear a hat when you walk your dogs! :)

Glide through hair?? Wow!

Getting rid of them will likley always only be a temporary solution....and can even make matters worse. Whenever a space is created by removing the wildlife by killing, trapping or whatever, the space will just fill in again. Its a "law" of nature. And in addition to that the numbers may increase because the space being vacant when the new ones spread into the empty space means more food, etc so they produce bigger "clutches". It's better to find a solution to the destruction and wear a hat when you walk your dogs! :)

Yes, I totally agree, we were kind of hoping something would work but not so much!! We have for the most part given up until we put a new roof on next year and replace all of the eaves, and evacuate the whole attic.
I never go out now without my hair down and with a hat on, I learned the hard way when one glided into my up bun and scared the poop out of meo_O

So I was doing a search for Red Runners and saw this thread. How did the sticky traps work out @Scottsquatch?

I was actually doing the search for red runners because i was looking for a supplier, but i saw @Dave85731 say they are wild out here in cali so then it confirmed that was i've been seeing lately running around my house are those things! i've never bought them and i've been at my play for over 3 years. all of sudden late this fall they started showing up and my fiance is not happy at all! i bought some roach killer traps but i don't think they are working, i've literally seen them run right passed it. So i need to figure out how to start getting rid of these wild ones. it's just ironic cuz i need some of these for feeders cuz my cham is done with dubias!:unsure:

Back
Top Bottom