Panther Not Eating?

Hello Everyone!

I have some very happy news to share! I just got a call from my vet. She said the bloodwork came back and showed that apart from slightly elevated cholesterol levels he is a VERY healthy chameleon.

Treebeard does prefer to eat super worms which I am sure is why his cholesterol is slightly elevated. As I was trying to figure out why he was sleeping so much, I just wanted to make sure he was eating and getting his supplements. Now that he is acting normal again (pothos plant blocking UVB light), I know he is parasite free and his bloodwork is good, I will work on his diet to be mostly crickets and dubias with an occasional treat bug.

The vet went over all of my husbandry for him again and gave the compliment that I was doing everything exactly right and she wished she could see visits like this more often and could tell that I cared a lot about him and was doing my best to give him the best care possible.

To celebrate, we gave Treebeard a newly hatched silkworm moth. (picture attached)

I want to thank everyone who gave me support and feedback on this page. You have all been so so helpful.

@Beman - I am so thankful for all the time you set aside to help me problem-solve with Treebeard. THANK YOU!!!!
Awwww I so love when it is not a major health issue and a simple husbandry correction changes everything. I'm happy you found the forum and I do hope you will stick around and continue to learn and help other new keepers as they come in. Every person makes a difference here.

It was my pleasure to help. I just love a happy ending ❤️

Awwww I so love when it is not a major health issue and a simple husbandry correction changes everything. I'm happy you found the forum and I do hope you will stick around and continue to learn and help other new keepers as they come in. Every person makes a difference here.

It was my pleasure to help. I just love a happy ending ❤️
I do plan on sticking around for sure! And I would love to support the community as much as possible. Because I am so new and still have so much to learn, how would you suggest I best support others here?

I do plan on sticking around for sure! And I would love to support the community as much as possible. Because I am so new and still have so much to learn, how would you suggest I best support others here?
Yayyy I love when people want to stay. Being welcoming in threads, if there is a husbandry issue posting the info for them to fill out, answering questions that you know the answers to. Just work your way in. :)

Ok, here is an update on my sweet boy. Right now, he is going up to his lights about every two days. I am worried about him developing MDB because he isn't getting his UVB lights daily. On the days he does not go up to his lights he just stays in his sleeping spot all day long, eyes open from what I can tell. He is eating and drinking, so I can confirm that he is hydrated. Is this still stress? Is this a winter slowdown? What could I be doing better for him?

You might be interested in this…
”Panther chameleons with low dietary vitamin D(3) intake significantly increased exposure to UV in natural sunlight compared to those with high dietary vitamin D(3) intake”…
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19335229/

“ It is clear that panther chameleons have precise control of
their regulatory behavior toward UV radiation, regardless of
dietary vitamin D3”..
https://www.researchgate.net/public...to_UV_Depending_on_Dietary_Vitamin_D-3_Status
So he might not need that much UVB? I'm just worried he isn't moving every other day...it seems odd to me.

Is it normal for him to stay in his sleeping spot for a while before getting to his basking light in the morning? My veiled girl is up and at 'em every morning as soon as the lights come on. My panther boy stays in his sleeping spot for about an hour before he starts moving for the day. His eyes are open and he is looking around, he just stays put for a while.
Mine does the same thing he is in no hurry to bask

Hi. I'm late to the party, but I've got a male panther about the same age.
I was concerned for him over the past few weeks due to major changes in his behavior, which occurred over a period of weeks.
He's been a bit lethargic most mornings. Where he used to be basking 10 minutes after lights on, now he may amble up there around lunchtime.
There's been a day or two where he seems to have not moved at all.
Whereas a number of months back he'd rip through a dozen crickets, now he's working on 1-2 dubia every other day or so.
He'd go nuts for hornworms or superworms. Now, when they're offered, he sort of has to convince himself that he's interested.
But he's still healthy, curious in a lazy way, watching everything, and seems all round OK.
Think he's just hitting that middle age. I remember I used to be able to go out all night and drink many beers and eat mucho pizza, now its maybe a beer, a low carb snack, and a 10pm bedtime.

Ok, here is an update on my sweet boy. Right now, he is going up to his lights about every two days. I am worried about him developing MDB because he isn't getting his UVB lights daily. On the days he does not go up to his lights he just stays in his sleeping spot all day long, eyes open from what I can tell. He is eating and drinking, so I can confirm that he is hydrated. Is this still stress? Is this a winter slowdown? What could I be doing better for him?
No worry about MBD... He would have to go weeks without UVB for issues to start happening. I think he has the winter blues... especially since he is still eating and drinking. If your ambient temps are dipping colder at night this can also increase their desire to get up and moving. All testing came back normal so you have ruled out medical.

No worry about MBD... He would have to go weeks without UVB for issues to start happening. I think he has the winter blues... especially since he is still eating and drinking. If your ambient temps are dipping colder at night this can also increase their desire to get up and moving. All testing came back normal so you have ruled out medical.
Thank you! I am able to provide temp drops from 61-65 degrees. I think it is the winter blues. My veiled doesn’t seem to have this at all.

Thank you! I am able to provide temp drops from 61-65 degrees. I think it is the winter blues. My veiled doesn’t seem to have this at all.
I think the best thing when your new is observation to learn your chams behavior. This is what saved me in the beginning. I learned his patterns of what was normal or not. Beman does a winter blues every year. Granted for him it is rare to stay tucked in all day but he has done it. If my temps drop cooler in the room then he will be slower to move in the morning. I have all vents to my room closed so on really cold nights it does drop below 60 and this can make him more slow to get up and at it. As you learn their behaviors things get less stressful.

I think the best thing when your new is observation to learn your chams behavior. This is what saved me in the beginning. I learned his patterns of what was normal or not. Beman does a winter blues every year. Granted for him it is rare to stay tucked in all day but he has done it. If my temps drop cooler in the room then he will be slower to move in the morning. I have all vents to my room closed so on really cold nights it does drop below 60 and this can make him more slow to get up and at it. As you learn their behaviors things get less stressful.
Thank you for the feedback. I"ll just continue to track his behavior.

Back
Top Bottom