Lily the Panther: a "Rescue" Progress Thread!

Chameleon approved! :love: Lily checking out her hibiscus, and her Boston fern. She's getting very bold and comfortable with me, and readily hand feeds now without any hesitation. No more karate chop hands, either! I feel like I've made good progress this week in terms of establishing trust. :)

Sometimes I feel animals know our true intentions. And they even know what a vets office is. I honestly feel they can tell you're only trying to protect and help them with such actions. Therefore building large amounts of trust afterwards. Plus they just adore you when you take them outside.

Chameleon approved! :love: Lily checking out her hibiscus, and her Boston fern. She's getting very bold and comfortable with me, and readily hand feeds now without any hesitation. No more karate chop hands, either! I feel like I've made good progress this week in terms of establishing trust. :)

View attachment 234415
View attachment 234416
There the pretty lily just love her ❤️. My girls LOVEEEEEE their Hibiscus xo .

Sometimes I feel animals know our true intentions. And they even know what a vets office is. I honestly feel they can tell you're only trying to protect and help them with such actions. Therefore building large amounts of trust afterwards. Plus they just adore you when you take them outside.

This is a controversial subject FYI ;) . I feel some spankings coming lol .

I honestly expected to take a couple steps back in terms of trust after a vet visit... but Lily was really awesome! She got some sun at the coffee house beforehand, and we even swung by the mom and pop pet shop to grab some hornworms. I was incredibly impressed by how well Lily handled it all. The employees wanted to meet Lily, and I opened her box for them to take a quick peek. To my surprise, Lily readily came out on her own! She maintained nice calm colors and mentation (she only performed one chameleon salute/slight darkening when the male employee came over), and readily ate a couple BSFL and a hornworm from my fingers with an audience!

Who knows- I may have another breed ambassador in the making! :D

That’s a beautiful flower

Thank you! I was originally waffling between yellow orange one, a lemon yellow one, and a hot pink one... but I think I madethe right call! I'm very pleased by how well it's doing. I hope it adapts well to terrarium life!

There the pretty lily just love her ❤. My girls LOVEEEEEE their Hibiscus xo .

Thanks Kristen! :D She's an absolute angel, and turning out to be so much sweeter than I anticipated (my bar was set realiy low, haha!)

There's definitely been a lot of debate, haha! It's a nice thought, even if it's not necessarily 100% correct. It really seems to depend on the animal and their temperament... the more an animal trusts people, the better they are at accepting our help. Im less convinced that they know that qe care and are trying to help. Granted, I've also had wild animals (mostly birds) come up to me when they need something, such as a male mute swan that had been attacked by something and had some awful festering wounds on the base of his neck. After he was patched up and I was caring for him while he was recovering, he came right up to me while I was running him a bath and just rested his head on my shoulder. I swear to God it was like he was thanking me! He even preened my hair a bit. "Mickey" lives on a nearby golf course, and I've visited him a couple times. He always honks a greeting and comes to rest nearby. :) Who knows?

I honestly expected to take a couple steps back in terms of trust after a vet visit... but Lily was really awesome! She got some sun at the coffee house beforehand, and we even swung by the mom and pop pet shop to grab some hornworms. I was incredibly impressed by how well Lily handled it all. The employees wanted to meet Lily, and I opened her box for them to take a quick peek. To my surprise, Lily readily came out on her own! She maintained nice calm colors and mentation (she only performed one chameleon salute/slight darkening when the male employee came over), and readily ate a couple BSFL and a hornworm from my fingers with an audience!

Who knows- I may have another breed ambassador in the making! :D

Thank you! I was originally waffling between yellow orange one, a lemon yellow one, and a hot pink one... but I think I madethe right call! I'm very pleased by how well it's doing. I hope it adapts well to terrarium life!

Thanks Kristen! :D She's an absolute angel, and turning out to be so much sweeter than I anticipated (my bar was set realiy low, haha!)

There's definitely been a lot of debate, haha! It's a nice thought, even if it's not necessarily 100% correct. It really seems to depend on the animal and their temperament... the more an animal trusts people, the better they are at accepting our help. Im less convinced that they know that qe care and are trying to help. Granted, I've also had wild animals (mostly birds) come up to me when they need something, such as a male mute swan that had been attacked by something and had some awful festering wounds on the base of his neck. After he was patched up and I was caring for him while he was recovering, he came right up to me while I was running him a bath and just rested his head on my shoulder. I swear to God it was like he was thanking me! He even preened my hair a bit. "Mickey" lives on a nearby golf course, and I've visited him a couple times. He always honks a greeting and comes to rest nearby. :) Who knows?
Their all angels even if they have major attitude ❤️. I can’t understand how anyone could even hurt the little gems . She has the best chances with her mama . She very lucky to have fallen into your capable hands xoxox .

I think it’s all about disposition . I know one will say you can’t compare to a dog or a human they have a pea brain so on . Some of us humans like being handled and some of us are very very very hands off !!. Or I will bite you !!. I believe these little gems are similar. I find and I know others here that believe the same when you hatch them they don’t have this issues as much .

Their all angels even if they have major attitude ❤. I can’t understand how anyone could even hurt the little gems . She has the best chances with her mama . She very lucky to have fallen into your capable hands xoxox .

I think it’s all about disposition . I know one will say you can’t compare to a dog or a human they have a pea brain so on . Some of us humans like being handled and some of us are very very very hands off !!. Or I will bite you !!. I believe these little gems are similar. I find and I know others here that believe the same when you hatch them they don’t have this issues as much .

I 100% agree! It's largely disposition, and appropriate handling and socialization at a young age can really help with this. It's all about positive reinforcement!

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well Lily is coming along, but even if she was cantankerous I'd love her the same. :love:

I 100% agree! It's largely disposition, and appropriate handling and socialization at a young age can really help with this. It's all about positive reinforcement!

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well Lily is coming along, but even if she was cantankerous I'd love her the same. :love:
Absolutely you would . I know I told you about my girl Frances . She had major attitude, sass , RULES - god did we love her . Anything she needed she got and more . I can’t tell you the countless time she bit it did , It did not matter . Our love for her was unconditional and her hatred for us was much the same ❤️.

Absolutely you would . I know I told you about my girl Frances . She had major attitude, sass , RULES - god did we love her . Anything she needed she got and more . I can’t tell you the countless time she bit it did , It did not matter . Our love for her was unconditional and her hatred for us was much the same ❤.

I've had birds like that, haha! I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned Lucy, but I once had a surrendered special needs lovebird named Lucy (Lucifer :p). She suffered from severe neurological issues (zero balance, head tilt) due to head trauma/brain damage, but it didnt affect her deeply rooted desire to taste blood! That tiny, angry little bird was possibly the most aggressive animal I've ever worked with. She went for the kill the second she saw skin, and I eventually learned that she loved a specific green tea towel and would step up on my hands if I covered them with it. I also needed something on my arms, or she'd go to pinch me. That bird was absolutely hilarious, and I loved her to bits! I miss her, even though she was only with me a short while.

Lucy aka Lucifer, and her modified cage. Due to her balance, she couldn't perch well and often tipped over, so she had platforms with soft fleece pads under any perches and ladders.

Lily has also decided that she's too hot and it's time to go inside. It's a hard life, haha!

I've had birds like that, haha! I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned Lucy, but I once had a surrendered special needs lovebird named Lucy (Lucifer :p). She suffered from severe neurological issues (zero balance, head tilt) due to head trauma/brain damage, but it didnt affect her deeply rooted desire to taste blood! That tiny, angry little bird was possibly the most aggressive animal I've ever worked with. She went for the kill the second she saw skin, and I eventually learned that she loved a specific green tea towel and would step up on my hands if I covered them with it. I also needed something on my arms, or she'd go to pinch me. That bird was absolutely hilarious, and I loved her to bits! I miss her, even though she was only with me a short while.

Lucy aka Lucifer, and her modified cage. Due to her balance, she couldn't perch well and often tipped over, so she had platforms with soft fleece pads under any perches and ladders.

View attachment 234431View attachment 234432

Lily has also decided that she's too hot and it's time to go inside. It's a hard life, haha!
View attachment 234434

She was a beauty ❤️. Sometimes their only meant to touch our hearts for a short time . Many things in life is that way .

Frances we had a bit over 3 years and would have just turned 4 . I miss her terribly . She was a gift I felt to care for .

Yes very controversial especially as you go throufh the different species. Dolphins have saved humans from shark attacks. We've seen tigers befriend baby deers. To be honest there are no rules in nature besides the fact that whatever can happen will happen (Murphys Law) and everything that lives will sadly die.

Yes very controversial especially as you go throufh the different species. Dolphins have saved humans from shark attacks. We've seen tigers befriend baby deers. To be honest there are no rules in nature besides the fact that whatever can happen will happen (Murphys Law) and everything that lives will sadly die.

Yup I’ve too experience some amazing things in the wilderness . I also feel most comfortable at the waters edge . Knit with them sharks NOPE !!.

She was a beauty ❤. Sometimes their only meant to touch our hearts for a short time . Many things in life is that way .

Frances we had a bit over 3 years and would have just turned 4 . I miss her terribly . She was a gift I felt to care for .

Brevity doesn't affect the emotional impact, for sure! I remember and mourn all of the babies I've cared for, regardless of how long or short they're with me. It sounds like your Frances was a very special, lucky lady! :love:

Been awhile since I've posted an update! Lily's been an absolute love, and we're definitely getting there in terms of trust. Today she reached for my finger and just sort of chilled out holding me hostage for like 5 minutes, haha! :love:

She continues to completely adore flying prey (she positively demolishes black soldier flies!), but hasn't been a fussy eater at all so far. It's very easy to introduce food to her - if I'm holding it, she'll eat it with very little (or no) hesitation! She's well conditioned to the point where she's already preparing her tongue if I so much as pass by her enclosure, and she will stalk me and shoot at my fingers if I'm doing cage maintenance! :LOL:

Photo dump time! :D

Preemptively aiming at my fingers (I didn't have any food, lol!):

Outside time:

Catching sight of one of my birds, and subsequent defensiveness:

The Lily process:

"Get out of my room, mom!"

"Oh wait, you have treats?"

"Okay, fine. You may proceed."

Back
Top Bottom