novice keeper - Veiled in trouble

Haha. I can't @Nursemaia. I'm from Florida, transplanted in the great white North. Ya'll are weird up here. Just putting it out there. And those aren't locusts, they're grasshoppers.

Nope, no locusts over here. Normally, I would recommend hornworms for hydration because that normally would help with impaction too. Can you find waxworms?
Not sure what hornworms are (moth catipillar/larvae?), not available here anyway.
I have wax worms to kept for treats - read they're not great nutritionally and quiet fatty so probably not appropriate for my obese girl!

Not sure what hornworms are (moth catipillar/larvae?), not available here anyway.
I have wax worms to kept for treats - read they're not great nutritionally and quiet fatty so probably not appropriate for my obese girl!
Im not sure but I believe hornworms are available in the U.K. They are a moth caterpillar.

That's the same as ours then I guess! Hoppers I feed are about 35mm long

You definitely won't be able to find hornworms. Waxworms aren't great nutritionally, but they're really fatty so if there's an impaction they are excellent laxatives.

Florida is pretty weird too and I agree they're grasshoppers but they are a locust too as Locusts are certain species of short-horned grasshoppers in the family Acrididae that have a swarming phase.

You definitely won't be able to find hornworms. Waxworms aren't great nutritionally, but they're really fatty so if there's an impaction they are excellent laxatives.
Ok may give her a few, do you pierce first? Ones she regurgitated were whole still after 3 days!
Need to get vet to re-check scan/X-ray s first I guess

I don't recommend force feeding her if there's the possibility of an impaction. Especially since she's vomited the other feeders.

I don't recommend force feeding her if there's the possibility of an impaction. Especially since she's vomited the other feeders.
I haven't exactly force fed - she opened her mouth ajar, I popped the hoppers inbetween head first and she chomped down chewed and swallowed - I have syringe fed water tho as concerned about hydration when not eating at all earlier

She is obese so I wouldn't feed her. I'd focus on hydration and syringe a few drops in at a time of pedialyte. If there's an impaction you don't want to keep putting more food on top of the blockage and she will be ok without eating for a few days.

I haven't exactly force fed - she opened her mouth ajar, I popped the hoppers inbetween head first and she chomped down chewed and swallowed - I have syringe fed water tho as concerned about hydration when not eating at all earlier
Hydration is paramount. She can live without a meal or two, but she doesn't need to dry out.

Back
Top Bottom