novice keeper - Veiled in trouble

if shes 2 years old he shouldnt be eating daily anymore. every other day would be good enough for him. but it depends on the size of he locus, if their small yea maybe once a day, if their large, every other day will be fine. and regulate the dusting but maybe to much calcium could cause impaction? shes not a leopard gecko but it *maybe* be the case. maybe the food your feeding her has no vitamins or anything to keep her healthy in it. does she have UVB? maybe the guy who gave her to you knew she ahd a problem and gave her away?

She's egg bound. You need a vet that can see that! They aren't cysts, those bunches of grapes are eggs. Imho.

The vet I see is supposed to be the best there is around here, not saying he's a Cham expert but no real choice!
She's still lethargic, spends all day at base of her enclosure wearing her dark cloak with orange and tourqouise spots, no desire to climb or interest in investigating her laying bin (despite curtain around for privacy).
Quite aggressive now too, actually lunges to bite if I open the door and put my hand near her! As she doesn't appear to eat this actually gives me an opportunity to feed by popping the odd locust and a little leafy veg in her gaping mouth which she then chomps down on and swallows. Weight seems steady at 250g - only pooping about every other day but looks normal.

Did your vet talk about giving her anything like a shot if she ended needing to lay? It's probably the only thing that will cause her to now, it's either that or she needs to be spayed.

A month has gone by now since our last visit to the vet the antibiotics were finished with little improvement in my girls mobility, she still just moves slowly around the base of her viv and does not really attempt to climb the branches.
I have moved her uv (new 5.0 lamp) down and set up an extra basking light at low level.
On a positive side after refusing to take food for a month and only eating when fed by syringe, I gradually got her to swallow small dusted crickets and greens by placing directly in her jaws when she hissed at me on opening the viv! Similarly I misted water into her mouth.
Now for the last two weeks she's back to self feeding. She won't hunt down prey but if I place it within say 6" she's happy to shoot it down.
Here's hoping mobility returns soon too.

Last edited:
A month has gone by now since our last visit to the vet the antibiotics were finished with little improvement in my girls mobility, she still just moves slowly around the base of her viv and does not really attempt to climb the branches.
I have moved her uv (new 5.0 lamp) down and set up an extra basking light at low level.
On a positive side after refusing to take food for a month and only eating when fed by syringe, I gradually got her to swallow small dusted crickets and greens by placing directly in her jaws when she hissed at me on opening the viv! Similarly I misted water into her mouth.
Now for the last two weeks she's back to self feeding. She won't hunt down prey but if I place it within say 6" she's happy to shoot it down.
Here's hoping mobility returns soon too.

Not sure if you can make the drive but there is an exotics vet in North Haven CT that could do a follow up on everything done with her just to make sure nothing is getting missed or things that can be done to help her.

She sounds like she's doing better for sure. If you want to get her climbing but are worried about falling, you can use some gutter guard and use it as a catch net. Even if she just climbs on the gutter guard it will start her using the necessary muscles to make sure she builds them up.

Not sure if you can make the drive but there is an exotics vet in North Haven CT that could do a follow up on everything done with her just to make sure nothing is getting missed or things that can be done to help her.
Thanks for the vet advice - unfortunately Noth Haven is a bit more than a drive away for me! I'm in the original Jersey in the Channel isles in Europe!

Thanks for the vet advice - unfortunately Noth Haven is a bit more than a drive away for me! I'm in the original Jersey in the Channel isles in Europe!
Oh hahaha missed that part. For some reason I was thinking Long Island was mentioned

Back
Top Bottom