Chameleon tongune went off

FREE

Hi. Everyone.

I currently have a female panther that probably twisted her tongue upside down and resulted not retract her tongue. I feed her Emeraid from vet about 3-5 ml each day for 3 days since it happened Saturday. But last night her tongue was nearly completly dehydrated and she bited off.

These days i have been feeding her with syringe with righting timing when she opened her mouth struggling her tongue. But after the tougne went off. She refused to open her mouth for nearly 12 hours. I used to worried about her hanging tougne so I put her on ground of cage instaed of hanging in the vine. But when the tongue went off, i reset the environment of cage , I found she like to stay at the very top of cage, closing one eye and seems resting. I worrired about stress response caused her refusing eating since these days crazy things.

I wonder if there is any other food , antibiotics and procees I should give to her, please advise and thank you very much!!!!

Attachments

• 16964355559976005370674391596124.jpg
    16964355559976005370674391596124.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 48
For 4 days, she only got Emeraid. I worried about the infection of wound So I did not give her any bugs.

Hi and welcome sorry j can't give advice about the tongue ,but unfortunately it looks like you have the wrong lights ,which most pet stores sell , are you running a heat light plus a compact uvb ? The compact aren't great got providing the proper uv the long linear t5ho either zoomed 5% or arcadia 6%

Hi. Everyone.

I currently have a female panther that probably twisted her tongue upside down and resulted not retract her tongue. I feed her Emeraid from vet about 3-5 ml each day for 3 days since it happened Saturday. But last night her tongue was nearly completly dehydrated and she bited off.

These days i have been feeding her with syringe with righting timing when she opened her mouth struggling her tongue. But after the tougne went off. She refused to open her mouth for nearly 12 hours. I used to worried about her hanging tougne so I put her on ground of cage instaed of hanging in the vine. But when the tongue went off, i reset the environment of cage , I found she like to stay at the very top of cage, closing one eye and seems resting. I worrired about stress response caused her refusing eating since these days crazy things.

I wonder if there is any other food , antibiotics and procees I should give to her, please advise and thank you very much!!!!
Hey there welcome to the forum. You need to get her back into a reptile vet asap... And one that actually knows chameleons. They should have amputated her tongue if it was that bad rather than sending her home. She will need antibiotics and depending on if there is necrotic tissue involved in the tounge they may have to take that portion off in surgery. And you will end up having to teach her how to eat without a tongue.

But also you have to make changes to her enclosure asap. It is not set up correctly for a chameleon. And she will decline further due to this. Start reading everything here on husbandry. It will walk you through every step from UVB lighting to plants and branches. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Hi and welcome sorry j can't give advice about the tongue ,but unfortunately it looks like you have the wrong lights ,which most pet stores sell , are you running a heat light plus a compact uvb ? The compact aren't great got providing the proper uv the long linear t5ho either zoomed 5% or arcadia 6%
Thank you for the advice. One of them is compact 5% zoomed and the other was a 5% uvb plus heat. Is it enough? If not I will buy a hood for her.

Hey there welcome to the forum. You need to get her back into a reptile vet asap... And one that actually knows chameleons. They should have amputated her tongue if it was that bad rather than sending her home. She will need antibiotics and depending on if there is necrotic tissue involved in the tounge they may have to take that portion off in surgery. And you will end up having to teach her how to eat without a tongue.

But also you have to make changes to her enclosure asap. It is not set up correctly for a chameleon. And she will decline further due to this. Start reading everything here on husbandry. It will walk you through every step from UVB lighting to plants and branches. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Thank you for the advice. I am currently in Sacramento and either the acorn near me or the emergency one I go to all said they have knowledge but not expert at chameleon. I will reset her environment but will it cuased her more stress response?

Unfortunately, the screw in uvb isn’t able to provide the range of uvb that a chameleon needs. First, take care of your little one‘s medical needs. Then we will be more than happy to help you get everything set up and perfect.

Thank you for the advice. I am currently in Sacramento and either the acorn near me or the emergency one I go to all said they have knowledge but not expert at chameleon. I will reset her environment but will it cuased her more stress response?
So changing the enclosure may initially upset her but leaving it the way it is will cause her to develop MBD along with further health issues. Her system is already compromised with the tongue issue. So not making changes could cause her to shut down even further where you can not bring her back to health.

I will tag another member about vets near you.

Here’s some vets in California but I’m not sure which of the ones up your way can do this surgery. You will need to call and ask.
Marianne Brick DVM
8520 Fair Oaks, CA
(916) 961-1541

I know some of these in the south are very capable

CalabassasAll Animals Veterinary Hospital (Dr. Molnar)

CoronaAnimal Medical Center of Corona (Dr. Huber)

Del Rey OaksAvian and Exotic Clinic of Monterey (Dr. Thomas)

El CajonRancho San Diego Animal Hospital (Dr. Brown)

EncintasAll Pets Animal Hospital (Dr. Loudis)

FresnoSan Joaquin Veterinary Hospital (Dr. Alfaro)

La MesaPet Emergency & Specialty Center (Dr. Cecil)

LivermoreOhana Animal Hospital (Dr. Steffes)

PasadenaExotic Animal Veterinary Center (Dr. Labrecque, Dr. Richards, Dr. Silpa)

SalemAll Creatures Veterinary Hospital

Santa ClaritaCinema Veterinary Centre (Dr. Wheelbarger)

San DiegoThe Pet Hospital of Penasquitos (Dr. Boyer)

San DiegoAvian & Exotic Animal Hospital (Dr. Jenkins & Dr. Gillette)

San JoseWildwood Veterinary Hospital (Dr. Welsh & Dr. Sanders)

San MarcosDiscovery Valley Animal Hospital (Dr. Young)

Yorba LindaGreek and Associates Veterinary Hospital (Dr. Greek)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom