Noobie alert. Need some help.

Coby

So I think I want a Chameleon. I was about to get a Dart Frog, but then I saw Chameleons and now Im really wanting one.

So here's me questions:

Are they hard to keep?
Where can I get some beginner info/resources and info on everything Id need?
For a basic beginner setup, what price would I be looking at?
What species would you recommend for a beginner?

Thanks!

Are they hard to keep?
Not as hard as you'll be lead to believe, but do you will have to satisfy their requirements
Where can I get some beginner info/resources and info on everything Id need
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/
For a basic beginner setup, what price would I be looking at?
I'd say between 200-450 depending on what age/species you'll be looking to get
What species would you recommend for a beginner?

Thanks!
Probably a veiled will be the recommended starter.

I'm a pretty new veiled owner and I must say it is rather expensive, especially when you first start off. You need a decent enclosure that allows for ventilation (http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptibreeze-aluminum-screen-cages.html) those work well, I searched around for a while and they have the cheapest that I've seen. Vitamins, plants, lights, light fixtures - all this stuff adds up quickly. I am probably $300-$400 deep so far and its been about a month. I'm sure others will post tons of starting links, expect to do a lot of research though.

I still dont own a chameleon and I've wanted a veiled for over a year now. I dont think its fair for the cham if you impulse buy, because you'll soon realise your in over your head. I advise doing extensive research because you don't want to just buy one and have it die shortly after. I only posted this to make myself an example that new onwers really need to be educated in what they are buying before doing so. You don't want him settled in your home and then realise you were doing something wrong. I'm just saying work out all the kinks before bringing one home (and I'm not saying you need to wait a year like me, just until you know you can sufficiently support and care for one) on a different note, welcome to the forums, if you want a cham this is a good place to get answers from experienced keepers

Thanks guys.

Not really an impulse buy, Ive been wanting a reptile for a while, just couldnt decide.
Ill take real good care of it. I have seeing pets that dont get taken care of.

As far as species goes, I want something on the smaller side. Not tiny, but not huge either. Any recommendations for that?

And I want to get the largest cage I can get. I want the little bugger to have as much room as he can get.

Also, I know its not about looks. But Im not sure I like the look of hte Veiled.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

And I want to get the largest cage I can get. I want the little bugger to have as much room as he can get.

The biggest problem with this is if you get a cage too big, he wont be able to hunt effectively.

A male of 4-5 months + should be okay in a big cage, anything younger and you may have issues. Females will be slightly smaller then males too, so you may run a risk there.

Thanks guys.

Not really an impulse buy, Ive been wanting a reptile for a while, just couldnt decide.
Ill take real good care of it. I have seeing pets that dont get taken care of.

As far as species goes, I want something on the smaller side. Not tiny, but not huge either. Any recommendations for that?

Also, I know its not about looks. But Im not sure I like the look of hte Veiled.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

If your looking for a semi small cham then I would suggest a rudis or carpet cham. YOU WILL have to do your research on these guys though and know what your getting into as there not really chams to start of with and are a bit harder to take care of!

Oh ok. What are some smaller species that I should do some research on?

Also, should I get a glass or screen cage? Whats a size I should be looking at?

Thanks

I really like the look of the Carpet ones! Ill try to find some info on them to do some research. Looks just like the size I want too.

Pygmys are another small species and im not sure if they are a more difficult to care for. and depending on where you live will determine whether you should get a screen or half glass/half screen cage. If you live in a warmer state I recommend all screen

Pygmys are another small species and im not sure if they are a more difficult to care for. and depending on where you live will determine whether you should get a screen or half glass/half screen cage. If you live in a warmer state I recommend all screen

The problems with pygmies and carpets are not so much that they are a lot more difficult, but that there are fewer people working with them and pretty much all the animals you'll find available are wildcaught. WC chams are not for beginners. They arrive stressed, dehydrated, and can be more difficult to acclimate without needing a GOOD experienced herp net.

Pygmies can be kept in an all glass terrarium and you can keep a pair or trio in a larger sized one. Check for the thread on Pygmy setups in the cham housing sub-forum for a good sticky message.

Another mid sized cham is the rudis. But again, most will be WC and not best for a beginner.

A mid sized cham that is a bit better established in the hobby is the jackson's. But, be aware that they need much different climate ranges than veileds or panthers...cooler temps at night, higher humidity, careful supplements (they are more sensitive to imbalances).

The "raising kitty the veiled chameleon" thread is an excellent read for a newbie.

Check the Resources tab for good links to husbandry articles and species information before you decide.

Hmm, I dont know what to do now then. I like the size and look of the Carpet Chameleon, but from what youve said it might not be the best.

Do you think if I spend a while doing research that it would be okay?

Also, what the average price for one of them?

Okay Ive been reading up on Panthers and they seem like they might be what Im looking for. A little bigger than Id want, but its okay.

So should I get a baby? Or a full grown?

Would a ZooMed screen cage in XL be large enough, or are there some others I should look at.

Thanks, back to reading for me!

Here's some informative sites that should help you...
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
http://web.archive.org/web/20060502...rnals.com/vet/index.php?show=5.Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20060421.../index.php?show=6.Vitamin.D3.and.Calcium.html
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

Here is some other information that will be helpful to you if you get a veiled or panther...
Supplementing, gutloading, appropriate temperatures, UVB lighting and proper watering are all important issues with keeping chameleons.

Since most feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus, its important to dust with a phos.-free calcium powder at most feedings to make up for it.

I dust with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder twice a month to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. I leave them to produce the rest of the D3 from their exposure to the UVB.

The UVB shouldn't pass through glass or screen...and some compacts, spirals can cause eye problems...but there are no bad reports against the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 UVB bulb.

I dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene source of vitamin A. Beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will not build up in the system, but there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert it so some people give a little prEformed once in a while. Excess prEformed may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD.

Calcium, D3, vitamin A and phos. are all important players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon and need to be in balance. When trying to balance them you need to look at what you feed the chameleon, what you feed the insects and what supplements you use.

Temperature also plays a part...good temperatures aid in good digestion which plays a part indirectly in nutrient absorption.

Gutloading is important...you can gutload crickets, superworms, locusts, roaches, etc. with a wide assortment of greens (dandelions, collards, kale, endive, parsley, escarole, etc.) and veggies (squash, zucchini, carrots, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, etc.)

The cage should be misted a couple of times a day and once your chameleon is 3 or so months old you can also use a dripper. It can be as simple as a deli cup with a tiny hole in the bottom of it. Just be sure that you don't leave water standing stagnant in the cage.

Plants should be non-toxic in case the chameleon or the insects chew on them....they should be well washed, both sides of the leaves.

For young panther or veiled chameleons the temperatures are best kept in the low to mid 80's F. Adults can handle temperatures up to the high 80's and for veileds, the low 90's...but I keep the adult females a little cooler.

For a first time owner I would recommend getting a male since you will avoid all the egglaying/reproductive issues.

Back
Top Bottom