Nighttime Temps

maryanne27

Avid Member
Everything I read says nighttime Temps can be as low as a certain degree. This may be a stupid question, but does it HAVE to get lower at night or is it OK if the temps stay the same moderate temperature for the species all throughout the day/night?

Everything I read says nighttime Temps can be as low as a certain degree. This may be a stupid question, but does it HAVE to get lower at night or is it OK if the temps stay the same moderate temperature for the species all throughout the day/night?
night time temps should be about a 10 degree drop from day time temps, i know that for panthers the lowest it should be is 55 degrees Fahrenheit but im not sure about other species.

Jacksonii (and probably most other montane species) have night time temps of 40F-64F in nature but they can probably handle little colder...
My biggest worry about putting my Jacksonii outside was him getting to cold but I guess I should worry more about him getting to warm, even in the Netherlands...:ROFLMAO:

They do need a night drop, I drop my ambient temps about 7 degrees from 73-74 daytime to around 66-67 at night, for some species that bask and have dome lights that can be a 10-15 degree drop. My montanes and panthers get the same night temps during the summer, panthers just get warmer basking areas. In the year I've been keeping them this way I haven't had any issues from temps and it seems to have dropped my panthers clutch size down somewhat, instead of 35-40eggs when temps were only going down to 70-71F I've had 28-32 on the 3 most recent clutches, also been feeding a little less often but believe temp is a contributing factor. Seems easier on the females and they still can bask in the mid 80s all day if they want.

Thanks everyone! Lots of good info. The room I keep my gracilior in requires AC to keep it at an appropriate temp, but it doesn't change much from day to night... stays pretty regular in the low 70s. It drops about 3 degrees at night with the lights off. I'll have to play around with it and see what I can do to optimize it.

Back
Top Bottom