URI or paranoid? (again....)

elizaann2

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello All,

My Jackson's has been holding his mouth open starting from yesterday and he is doing it again today. It's not constant and I don't know if I have seen any star gazing. When he does have his mouth open, I've noticed that he often has his gular puffed out slightly and is often doing the chameleon salute. There is currently construction on my street starting from yesterday and I am wondering if he can feel the vibrations of the construction or if he has a URI. His mouth isn't constantly open and when I physically go down to check on him sometimes he closes his mouth and sometimes he keeps it open.... I'm currently watching him on my 'chamera' and I feel like I see a pattern of him opening his mouth when the machines are actively going. What do you guys think? Should I take him to the vet or keep paying attention to him before freaking out? When I look at pictures from the Chameleon Academy on respiratory infections, I do not see the same body language besides the open mouth.

He isn't too hot, I never let his basking temp go above 83, I don't let his ambient temp go above 77 (if it hits that I turn lights off to cool down the enclosure slightly). The average temp at the top of his enclosure is around 75 degrees during the day, he seems most comfortable at 76 so I am currently working on adjusting things to maintain the 76 degrees I know he prefers. Humidity is 50%ish during the day and 80-100% at night. Highest nighttime temps are 65 degrees.

I've attached a few photos of what I am seeing. Hoping I am being a paranoid chameleon mama....

Attachments

• IMG-7888.PNG
    IMG-7888.PNG
    652.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG-7890.PNG
    IMG-7890.PNG
    719.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-7895.jpg
    IMG-7895.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 43
His mouth was just closed for a while but then the machines started up again and its open again. Here is a recent screenshot of him with the machines working again. You can clearly see his salute in his pic.

If its not an RI and this is stress related due to the construction, is there anything I can do to decrease his stress? They are most likely going to be doing this for a month or so and I worry about that constant level of stress. My other chams don't seem bothered by it.

Attachments

• 31008.jpg
    31008.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 38
I've seen my boy also sitting with his mouth open sometimes, but was in general prior to shedding. It could be stress from the vibrations of the machines, but i doubt it but also don't rule it out. There's nothing else he can see that makes him defensive? And their vision is extreme. My guy is hooked on waxworms (which he gets 2 twice a month) and he can spot them from the other side of the room. Making him enthusiastic and eager to get in reach to shoot at it.

I've seen my boy also sitting with his mouth open sometimes, but was in general prior to shedding. It could be stress from the vibrations of the machines, but i doubt it but also don't rule it out. There's nothing else he can see that makes him defensive? And their vision is extreme. My guy is hooked on waxworms (which he gets 2 twice a month) and he can spot them from the other side of the room. Making him enthusiastic and eager to get in reach to shoot at it.
Thank you for the reply! There have been no changes made to the room he is in and its low low traffic. He is in an unfinished room we have in our house that eventually will be my reptile room and no one goes in there at all unless its to check on him or feed him.

I did recently add some plants to his enclosure so he might be 're-establishing' himself in the enclosure from that change? He has been exploring more than usual since I did that... I added hibiscus, moved a polkadot plant and added a wandering jew.

No new bugs, he has been getting BSFL, crickets, BSF and waxmoths, he eats them all no problem and seems to enjoy them.... He has gotten all of these since I had him.

I haven't noticed any more open mouth behaviors for a little bit and the construction work is done for the day. I'll keep an eye on him tomorrow as well obviously to see how he behaves.

(sometimes I wonder what I am doing with my life having such stressful animals 🤣 )

(sometimes I wonder what I am doing with my life having such stressful animals 🤣 )
I think we all wonder about that, but then again I’m more away from home (still someone is home to care for them) and those little rascals do perfectly without my 24/7 observation on them. Okay, okay 20/6 because I’m secretly spying on them with my camera 😂😂

I haven't noticed any more open mouth behaviors for a little bit and the construction work is done for the day. I'll keep an eye on him tomorrow as well obviously to see how he behaves.
Great, good to hear 👍🏻

I think we all wonder about that, but then again I’m more away from home (still someone is home to care for them) and those little rascals do perfectly without my 24/7 observation on them. Okay, okay 20/6 because I’m secretly spying on them with my camera 😂😂

Great, good to hear 👍🏻
Ya my job is 80% from home so I am here a lot to watch them and I have a camera which is really nice.

I did see him open his mouth once tonight when I came in the room, he did it when I walked in. He hasnt done it since.

I'm in the middle of construction at my house and not too long ago they did my street. I didn't see this in any of mine. In younger Jax and females I try to stay below 80 F. Keep checking his mouth for stringy saliva and listen for any odd noises he might make. If anything further develops then get him on antibiotics ASAP.

I'm in the middle of construction at my house and not too long ago they did my street. I didn't see this in any of mine. In younger Jax and females I try to stay below 80 F. Keep checking his mouth for stringy saliva and listen for any odd noises he might make. If anything further develops then get him on antibiotics ASAP.
Got it, I'll keep his basking at 80. Will do. I did get a good look in his mouth yesterday and I didn't see anything out of the norm. I'm going to keep a close eye on him today. I'll share what I see. Ugh I hope its not a RI......

Update: I haven't noticed as much open mouth behaviors yet (three in total so far). There hasn't been any construction today and there were two large bright colored balls that my kid had in that room, I removed those as well just in case. Any open mouth behaviors I saw from him were what I assume from me walking into the room. He has seemed a little less on edge today.

He only opened his mouth once today that I noticed and it was when I walked in the room. I am now wondering if my kids balls she put in there were bugging him. They are large like exercise balls and are bright yellow and purple.

Back
Top Bottom