Newbie check-in

OMG! I have officially decided I probably jumped in over my head. I just found out from the manager where I got Whoopee she is wild caught😖😓 im super disappointed in my self I could have swore I understood she was CB. so I'm going to try something different with her feedings and just let the crickets go in her cage for right now. I also bought her a fogger and upped her basking bulb to a 150w. I do have a dimmable basking lamp if it gets too hot. This little one is definitely putting me in the deep end. Sooo I got her some silk worms, dubia roches, and some medium sized crickets. I am gut loading with a super salad, and bee pollen. And will update you guys tomorrow.... oh one more thing I did find a poop it looked normal white cap with brown it was dried by the time I found it. But happy to know her bowels are moving.

OMG! I have officially decided I probably jumped in over my head. I just found out from the manager where I got Whoopee she is wild caught😖😓 im super disappointed in my self I could have swore I understood she was CB. so I'm going to try something different with her feedings and just let the crickets go in her cage for right now. I also bought her a fogger and upped her basking bulb to a 150w. I do have a dimmable basking lamp if it gets too hot. This little one is definitely putting me in the deep end. Sooo I got her some silk worms, dubia roches, and some medium sized crickets. I am gut loading with a super salad, and bee pollen. And will update you guys tomorrow.... oh one more thing I did find a poop it looked normal white cap with brown it was dried by the time I found it. But happy to know her bowels are moving.
Definitely get a fecal float done since she’s wild-caught

If you are just letting the crickets go for her to hunt, just in case she misses one, make sure to put a small piece of greens or veggie in for the cricket to eat. They are nasty little bugs and will try to bite your cham.

If you are just letting the crickets go for her to hunt, just in case she misses one, make sure to put a small piece of greens or veggie in for the cricket to eat. They are nasty little bugs and will try to bite your cham.
Oh gross! Thank you I didn't know that. I do have live plants in there as well. Where should I put this cricket food? Should I try something else instead 🤔

I'd move the cage away from the window so the chameleon won't get s cold draft.
That's not feasible in my home. I have a dog and two cats and a 30 gallon fish tank and a 3 year old. And this is the least stressful area of my home as we are only in the room about an hour of activity a day. But there isn't a draft I've blocked up my window pretty well. Also I cannot stand the cold so my house has to stay above 72. I hope this puts your mind at ease. This is her right now trying to find a sleeping spot lol. And this is the closest spot to the window.
20210127_194801.jpg

That's not feasible in my home. I have a dog and two cats and a 30 gallon fish tank and a 3 year old. And this is the least stressful area of my home as we are only in the room about an hour of activity a day. But there isn't a draft I've blocked up my window pretty well. Also I cannot stand the cold so my house has to stay above 72. I hope this puts your mind at ease. This is her right now trying to find a sleeping spot lol. And this is the closest spot to the window. View attachment 290700
I think she’s already asleep 😂

Well hiya guys, I just recently purchased a carpet cham her name is Whoopee (pronounced like Whoopi 😁) I have wanted a cham forever in a day now and finally took the dive. I have done quite a bit of research but I am still uneasy, maybe it's the new repti-momma feelings. But.... Whoopee has not eaten anything since I brought her home, however she is drinking just fine. I am just hoping to get some feedback and possibly make some corrections if your seeing something I'm not. I'm all ears just please don't be too harsh, this is my first cham or reptile for that matter. And we just want our Whoopee to be happy and healthy. So here goes....
  • Your Chameleon - Carpet chameleon female, reptile breeder said juvenile how ever hatch date unknown, I brought her home on the 24th so just 48 hours ago.
  • Handling - I picked her up out of her box from transport, I inspected her quick 15 second look around and then off to her new abode, other than that I have not touched her.
  • Feeding - I have crickets, wax worms, and horned worms. I give her 6 to 8 sm crickets and a wax worm(because I know I need a candy bar when I'm stressed) the next feeding I tried same as above but added a horned worm. I know this sounds bad but we don't have a set feeding schedule just yet she came home late Sunday and it is only Tuesday. I do plan to cup feed of a mornings. I am just trying to figure out the timing of her mister to not interfere with her cup (recommendations please). I have been gut loading with carrots and plan to add other leafy greens.
  • Supplements - I have Repti Calcium with D3 and Without D3. Both feedings have been without D3. I am looking for a recommendation for a multivitamin? I was going to used the D3 on every other Sunday alternating with a multivitamin on Sundays.
  • Watering - I have a reptimist system it goes off for 1 minute every 6 hours. I also have a dripper and a humidifier that runs for 45 minutes 2x a day. Whoopee does drink I have caught her multiple times.
  • Fecal Description - I am unable to find any stool thus far!
  • History - She is very new to me. However she does change into her PJ'S for sleeping (changes light pink, tan, with white spots) . And she does let me know I'm too close or she is not happy, flattening out, karate hand, curly tail, hiding behind her branch.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 24" x 24" x 48" screen enclosure, covered on 3 sides with clear shower curtain (top and front exposed)
  • Lighting - basking lamp 100w, Reptisun T5 UVB HO 30 inch.
  • Temperature - basking area 85 to 88 mid level 75 cagw floor 70. The lowest it gets is 69. I have a digital thermometer and also a IR temp gun.
  • Humidity - 30% to 80%(spike) it hovers closer to 30% to 40% consistently. I have included her enclosure on three sides (looking for recommendations) I use a digital hydrometer.
  • Plants I mostly have pothos, I do have a ficus, and a schefflera( not sure I spelt that right) and and orchid. There is also real moss to help with the humidity levels it is mostly at the base of the plants though.
  • Placement - Her cage is in the corner of my bedroom, she does sit next to a window but it has light blocking shades. And it is almost all the way to the ceiling. There are no vents blowing on her. I have a heater in my room as a back up(I feel like she gets too cold at night even though my room does not fall below 69.
  • Location - I live in Colorado, not in the mountains though.

Current Problem - Like I said she is just not eatting so I am assuming it's stress but I would rather dig into this fast incase there is something seriously wrong. She has not pooped yet but also could be stress. She is drinking just fine. And likes to move around the top part of her enclosure. She has not ventured down amongst much of the brush she really likes her branches in the middle and then higher up in the basking spot. Sorry the pictures are not very good as I don't want to disturb her too much. Just a quick in and out for feedings. Oh also the full picture does not show her dripper on top. Thank you all so much in advanced.
Good morning,

Other than upping the basking temp to the low 90's, and listening to the Chameleon breeder podcasts about Carpets I do not have much to add. Most has already been suggested. Smaller feeders, and more of them. 1/4" crickets, ex small dubia, and if you can find them tiny horn worms. I would try to continue to cup feed her. Mine did not go after the plants/moss directly, but if you're free feeding she could accidentally get a tongue full of it. I assume that the heating system in your home is basically running full time during the winter there. While there isn't any vents blowing directly at her enclosure the humidity will dissipate quickly because of it. I would mist more frequently. Maybe every four hours, and run the humidifier near the cage for most of the night. Try to keep it in the 40-50% ambient range with spikes during the mistings. Maybe also add some smaller diameter branches/dowels to make it easier for her to fully grip them.
1. As she is wild caught the possibility exists that she may be carrying fertilized eggs. Start researching, and set up a lay bin for her. She may also try to lay in the potted plants. Watch for darker colors. Black/dark brown with bright purples/yellows/blues.
2. She appears to be full grown...the part that sucks about these guys is their short life spans. Two years is a long life. I say this not to discourage, but to prepare. They are wonderful feisty little guys with big personalities, and I thoroughly enjoyed them while they were in my care. Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

20190901_082633_resized.jpg

20191020_115208.jpg

cage for most of the night. Try to keep it in the 40-50% ambient range with spikes during the mistings. Maybe also add some smaller diameter branches/dowels to make it easier for her to fully grip them.
1. As she is wild caught the possibility exists that she may be carrying fertilized eggs. Start researching, and set up a lay bin for her. She may also try to lay in the potted plants. Watch for darker colors. Black/dark brown with bright purples/yellows/blues.
2. She appears to be full grown...the part that sucks about these guys is their short life spans. Two years is a long life. I say this not to discourage, but to prepare. They are wonderful feisty little guys with big personalities, and I thoroughly enjoyed them while they were in my care. Happy to answer any other questions you might have.
OMG I just seen your message. I am new to the forum so I'm still exploring and looking around my apologies for the delay. You are correct she is gravid. So I did provide her with a laying bin yesterday. I'm not sure though how wet is too wet for her laying bin. Also what will be the sign she has deposited her eggs? I just don't want to go digging around her laying box everyday. I don't know what her normal size is as I have always seen her gravid. I have already bumped her basking temp up to between 90 to 93 and mistings 3 times a day i also added a fogger to help with humidity. I hung a thin sheet about a foot and a half away from her enclosure to give her extra privacy. I just hope she hasn't been through too much stress and holds Onto the eggs.

OMG I just seen your message. I am new to the forum so I'm still exploring and looking around my apologies for the delay. You are correct she is gravid. So I did provide her with a laying bin yesterday. I'm not sure though how wet is too wet for her laying bin. Also what will be the sign she has deposited her eggs? I just don't want to go digging around her laying box everyday. I don't know what her normal size is as I have always seen her gravid. I have already bumped her basking temp up to between 90 to 93 and mistings 3 times a day i also added a fogger to help with humidity. I hung a thin sheet about a foot and a half away from her enclosure to give her extra privacy. I just hope she hasn't been through too much stress and holds Onto the eggs.
(I don’t own a carpet so ignore anything I said 😆)

Last edited:
So for temperature sounds good, after a day check to see if she is in her laying bin discretely, sometimes they will sleep in there so at night take a flashlight and check so you don’t disturb her. She should be done after 2 days probably you’ll see she looks much skinnier and covered in dirt. Once she’s out of her laying bin count the eggs take a picture and throw them out. Keep humidity normal at 30-50% make sure before you mist check if everything is dry and for 2-5 minutes. Humidifiers are used at night more often than daytime unless humidity is low. The bin should be able to hold a tunnel without collapsing.
Most of what you put is actually for a female veiled, not a carpet. She/he has already talked to a carpet breeder for some extra info. I also wouldn’t use a flashlight to check, it could throw her off. Only whole room humidifiers should be used during the day if needed, not cage ones

I also wouldn’t use a flashlight to check, it could throw her off
Unfortunately that wasn't a flash light are actually the lights in my bedroom they are halogen lights and I hate the dam things we rarely turn them on and rely on a standing lamp.
20210131_153930.jpg
As you can see now she can't see us. 😏 I can see her well enough that I know she is not changing super dark colors since I put that up and she is moving all over her cage. I think she is getting more comfortable. I would like it at least... lol

Back
Top Bottom