Newbie check-in

Well hiya guys, I just recently purchased a carpet cham her name is Whoopee (pronounced like Whoopi 😁) I have wanted a cham forever in a day now and finally took the dive. I have done quite a bit of research but I am still uneasy, maybe it's the new repti-momma feelings. But.... Whoopee has not eaten anything since I brought her home, however she is drinking just fine. I am just hoping to get some feedback and possibly make some corrections if your seeing something I'm not. I'm all ears just please don't be too harsh, this is my first cham or reptile for that matter. And we just want our Whoopee to be happy and healthy. So here goes....
  • Your Chameleon - Carpet chameleon female, reptile breeder said juvenile how ever hatch date unknown, I brought her home on the 24th so just 48 hours ago.
  • Handling - I picked her up out of her box from transport, I inspected her quick 15 second look around and then off to her new abode, other than that I have not touched her.
  • Feeding - I have crickets, wax worms, and horned worms. I give her 6 to 8 sm crickets and a wax worm(because I know I need a candy bar when I'm stressed) the next feeding I tried same as above but added a horned worm. I know this sounds bad but we don't have a set feeding schedule just yet she came home late Sunday and it is only Tuesday. I do plan to cup feed of a mornings. I am just trying to figure out the timing of her mister to not interfere with her cup (recommendations please). I have been gut loading with carrots and plan to add other leafy greens.
  • Supplements - I have Repti Calcium with D3 and Without D3. Both feedings have been without D3. I am looking for a recommendation for a multivitamin? I was going to used the D3 on every other Sunday alternating with a multivitamin on Sundays.
  • Watering - I have a reptimist system it goes off for 1 minute every 6 hours. I also have a dripper and a humidifier that runs for 45 minutes 2x a day. Whoopee does drink I have caught her multiple times.
  • Fecal Description - I am unable to find any stool thus far!
  • History - She is very new to me. However she does change into her PJ'S for sleeping (changes light pink, tan, with white spots) . And she does let me know I'm too close or she is not happy, flattening out, karate hand, curly tail, hiding behind her branch.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 24" x 24" x 48" screen enclosure, covered on 3 sides with clear shower curtain (top and front exposed)
  • Lighting - basking lamp 100w, Reptisun T5 UVB HO 30 inch.
  • Temperature - basking area 85 to 88 mid level 75 cagw floor 70. The lowest it gets is 69. I have a digital thermometer and also a IR temp gun.
  • Humidity - 30% to 80%(spike) it hovers closer to 30% to 40% consistently. I have included her enclosure on three sides (looking for recommendations) I use a digital hydrometer.
  • Plants I mostly have pothos, I do have a ficus, and a schefflera( not sure I spelt that right) and and orchid. There is also real moss to help with the humidity levels it is mostly at the base of the plants though.
  • Placement - Her cage is in the corner of my bedroom, she does sit next to a window but it has light blocking shades. And it is almost all the way to the ceiling. There are no vents blowing on her. I have a heater in my room as a back up(I feel like she gets too cold at night even though my room does not fall below 69.
  • Location - I live in Colorado, not in the mountains though.

Current Problem - Like I said she is just not eatting so I am assuming it's stress but I would rather dig into this fast incase there is something seriously wrong. She has not pooped yet but also could be stress. She is drinking just fine. And likes to move around the top part of her enclosure. She has not ventured down amongst much of the brush she really likes her branches in the middle and then higher up in the basking spot. Sorry the pictures are not very good as I don't want to disturb her too much. Just a quick in and out for feedings. Oh also the full picture does not show her dripper on top. Thank you all so much in advanced.

Attachments

• 20210124_141157.jpg
    20210124_141157.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 20210126_192345.jpg
    20210126_192345.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 20210126_194443.jpg
    20210126_194443.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 141
Well hiya guys, I just recently purchased a carpet cham her name is Whoopee (pronounced like Whoopi 😁) I have wanted a cham forever in a day now and finally took the dive. I have done quite a bit of research but I am still uneasy, maybe it's the new repti-momma feelings. But.... Whoopee has not eaten anything since I brought her home, however she is drinking just fine. I am just hoping to get some feedback and possibly make some corrections if your seeing something I'm not. I'm all ears just please don't be too harsh, this is my first cham or reptile for that matter. And we just want our Whoopee to be happy and healthy. So here goes....
  • Your Chameleon - Carpet chameleon female, reptile breeder said juvenile how ever hatch date unknown, I brought her home on the 24th so just 48 hours ago.
  • Handling - I picked her up out of her box from transport, I inspected her quick 15 second look around and then off to her new abode, other than that I have not touched her.
  • Feeding - I have crickets, wax worms, and horned worms. I give her 6 to 8 sm crickets and a wax worm(because I know I need a candy bar when I'm stressed) the next feeding I tried same as above but added a horned worm. I know this sounds bad but we don't have a set feeding schedule just yet she came home late Sunday and it is only Tuesday. I do plan to cup feed of a mornings. I am just trying to figure out the timing of her mister to not interfere with her cup (recommendations please). I have been gut loading with carrots and plan to add other leafy greens.
  • Supplements - I have Repti Calcium with D3 and Without D3. Both feedings have been without D3. I am looking for a recommendation for a multivitamin? I was going to used the D3 on every other Sunday alternating with a multivitamin on Sundays.
  • Watering - I have a reptimist system it goes off for 1 minute every 6 hours. I also have a dripper and a humidifier that runs for 45 minutes 2x a day. Whoopee does drink I have caught her multiple times.
  • History - She is very new to me. However she does change into her PJ'S for sleeping (changes light pink, tan, with white spots) . And she does let me know I'm too close or she is not happy, flattening out, karate hand, curly tail, hiding behind her branch.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 24" x 24" x 48" screen enclosure, covered on 3 sides with clear shower curtain (top and front exposed)
  • Temperature - basking area 85 to 88 mid level 75 cagw floor 70. The lowest it gets is 69. I have a digital thermometer and also a IR temp gun.
  • Humidity - 30% to 80%(spike) it hovers closer to 30% to 40% consistently. I have included her enclosure on three sides (looking for recommendations) I use a digital hydrometer.
  • Plants I mostly have pothos, I do have a ficus, and a schefflera( not sure I spelt that right) and and orchid. There is also real moss to help with the humidity levels it is mostly at the base of the plants though.
  • Placement - Her cage is in the corner of my bedroom, she does sit next to a window but it has light blocking shades. And it is almost all the way to the ceiling. There are no vents blowing on her. I have a heater in my room as a back up(I feel like she gets too cold at night even though my room does not fall below 69.

Current Problem - Like I said she is just not eatting so I am assuming it's stress but I would rather dig into this fast incase there is something seriously wrong. She has not pooped yet but also could be stress. She is drinking just fine. And likes to move around the top part of her enclosure. She has not ventured down amongst much of the brush she really likes her branches in the middle and then higher up in the basking spot. Sorry the pictures are not very good as I don't want to disturb her too much. Just a quick in and out for feedings. Oh also the full picture does not show her dripper on top. Thank you all so much in advanced.
What size are her feeders usually hornworms aren’t offered until they’re at least 4 months of age and small ones. I’ll have someone else review your form while I pin point the smaller less complicated things

Cage Info:

The mossy vines need to go I’d say :( this is the multivitamins/reptivite
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...t+d3&qid=1611730595&sprefix=reptivite+&sr=8-2
Moss is not good so I’d remove it. Basking temp is way to hot I’d say no higher than 80. Also she’s only barley adjusting to her cage. You sure it’s a female I’ll have others help you sex it since I don’t own a carpet chameleon. When you barely bring a cham home they are known to not eat the first few days she’ll need time to adjust

I can’t say anymore since I don’t own a carpet chameleon or really know of their correct husbandry, sorry but hopefully someone will help you @kinyonga will probably know!

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...t+d3&qid=1611730595&sprefix=reptivite+&sr=8-2
Moss is not good so I’d remove it. Basking temp is way to hot I’d say no higher than 80. Also she’s only barley adjusting to her cage. You sure it’s a female I’ll have others help you sex it since I don’t own a carpet chameleon. When you barely bring a cham home they are known to not eat the first few days she’ll need time to adjust
This is why I'm confused. I have read some cham keepers have no problem using moss only if its real and if they don't own a plant muncher... lol. Also I have read a carpet cham likes a basking spot of 90 to 95. So I thought her enclosure was too cool. If you have any links to articles that would be awesome.

Hello! Welcome to the forums! It is very normal for them to not eat when you first bring them home. Just slowly let them adjust to their enclosure because that is their home now. I do not know anything about Carpet chameleons, but that I LOVE them! I believe moss can become moldy easily, so that is one of the reasons why it is not recommended.

Carpet chams are different from Veileds and panthers with their husbandry. They do need a hotter basking. Females are just as colorful as the males.

Hi welcome and congrats. Would love to see some pics of your chameleon and some stage
Thank you!😁 these were taken after her lights came on this morning. I dont know what you mean by stage?!

Attachments

• 20210127_061206.jpg
    20210127_061206.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 20210127_061216.jpg
    20210127_061216.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 109
Back
Top Bottom