New Product: Dragon Ledges. Branching and Live Hanging Plants in a Screen Cage

DeremensisBlue

Chameleon Enthusiast
Site Sponsor
Branching and Live Hanging Plants in a Screen Cage

The Problem.
For over 30 years I have been trying different ways of setting up a chameleon cage. The biggest problem with a screen cage is the difficulty in placing horizontal branches and live plants. Quite simply, anytime any weight is placed on the screen wall it is compromising the integrity of the screen and shortening the life of the cage. Of course, ripped and warped screen is common with methods such as zip tying, thumb tacks, and hot glue. Screen is not designed to be weight bearing. And, though we can get away with these methods for branching, a live plant must be awkwardly attached to the framing or placed on the floor.

The Solution.
NaturalisticMediumTallKeeper640_zps3bf437de.jpg

This new product, which I am calling Dragon Ledges, is the answer to that problem. They are anchors which give you convenient access to the weight bearing nature of the frames from the center of the screen. In other words, you may now branch without worry for the screen and you may hang a live vining plant anywhere in the cage. And, just as important, it will be done with a clean and professional look.

The Product.
LedgesPackageContents_zps64ecc72e.jpg

The product itself is a retrofit kit which will fit the screen cages you have right now. There are kit sizes available that fit the common size screen cages from Dragon Strand, Zoo Med ReptiBreeze, LLL Reptile, and DIY Cages. Each kit consists of four or five (for the largest cages) individual Dragon Ledges which can be placed anywhere in the sides or back depending on your design.
LedgefromOutside640_zpsa665ffc1.jpg

Each Dragon Ledge consists of three pieces. The Ledge is inside the cage and its design offers multiple mounting options. The Ledge transfers the weight from the inside of the cage to the Back Support. The Back Support receives the load from the Ledge and places it firmly on the structurally strong frame. Between the Back Support and the Ledge is a piece called the Spacer. The Spacer saves the screen from any stress during the entire process.
Ledgeweighttransfer_zps5a25abe3.jpg

The Benefit.
The primary benefit of this product is the freedom it allows us in making the best environment for our chameleons. It is frustrating to have to have cage design be dependent so much on the limited possibilities of screen rather than what is best for the chameleon. It is now easy to have solid horizontal perching branches run past wide drinking leaves of live pothos. Hidden glens may be produced to give your chameleon security. It is now time to use your imagination and creativity to create an environment rather than to figure out how to make elements structurally sound.

The Next Level.
And, for those who want to explore the next level, the design of the Ledge allows a solid anchor for foaming products. Let this product be the catalyst for doing something with screen caging that has never been done before. Instead of designing a cage which highlights the chameleon, let’s create an environment where the chameleon is just one element of its beauty. This is just the start.
NaturalisticLargeKeeper640_zps7b76bbd0.jpg

Dragon Ledges are available through the DragonStrand website. The package of four is available at $32 for the common 30”, 36” and 48” tall cages. Packages of five are available at $38 for the 48” cages.
Dragon Ledges Product Page

For a detailed description of how to create the above naturalistic environment within a screen cage see the article: Advanced Chameleon Cage Setup.

That looks like something I need :)
I love the innovation, and that article on your website about advanced setups is fantastic. I think I'm going to try that with my next cage.

Wow. Super nice. I love how the bottom is completely clear of debris or anything the cham could get in it's mouth if it was hunting a food item on the floor yet everything up top looks like a planted vivarium. That came out nice.

What a lovely cage. I have switched most of my cages to new DragonStrand cages, but I am going to try these ledges in the 2 screen cages I am still using. I will not miss the 5 gallon pots sitting on the floor of the cage so my chams have proper foliage. Clean up is a true time wasting pain right now, I know I won't miss the time I waste everyday making sure I get the bottom clean. Your instructions make this look easy just like the DragonStrand cages. I enjoyed all my cage decorating, even if each one is different, they all reflect a beautiful cage, like I have never had before. How innovative of you to find a way the help people still using screen. Thanks Bill, sign me up.

I commend you on your development of a needed product, it is well thought out, and a long time coming!

CHEERS!!!

Nick:D

Now you need to make those ledges for sale :) like the vine setup you have from the great stuff. I know it can be done with great stuff. But green ones that are pre made and in different configs would be amazing :). Not sure if there would be a market I would buy them though lol.

Now you need to make those ledges for sale :) like the vine setup you have from the great stuff. I know it can be done with great stuff. But green ones that are pre made and in different configs would be amazing :). Not sure if there would be a market I would buy them though lol.
Do you mean like a pre-made wall panel with holes to insert pots?

Do you mean like a pre-made wall panel with holes to insert pots?

Yep :), one that looks like foresty lol. 1 that clips on to the dragon ledges. Or is a dragon ledge or something.

I mean all the other lizards get all the fake rocks and terrarium backgrounds for them already chameleons kinda get shafted lol.

I know people custom make the backgrounds of any size. However they want alot, the last place i looked for something like that made from Styrofoam for the back of a cham cage they wanted like 600 lol.

Its called Great Stufff Pond and stone its expanding foam spray green can/yellow lid that can be purchased that stone color I believe and is reptile safe or can be made that way.

i have an exo terra screen cage ( size 24" x 18" x 36" ) and am unsure which kit to purchase?
any ideas ?

thanks in advance!

i have an exo terra screen cage ( size 24" x 18" x 36" ) and am unsure which kit to purchase?
any ideas ?

thanks in advance!
You can't purchase for that cage unless you want to pay 50$ to only use two dragon ledges. I had that cage and then switched to a Reptibreeze. Bought ledges after that.

I like the setup in the image. Any more info on the plants, wall and other stuff used to make it? It's exactly what I picture in my head for my new terrarium. (someone needs to design a better way to mount stuff in terrarium as well) lol..

I like the setup in the image. Any more info on the plants, wall and other stuff used to make it? It's exactly what I picture in my head for my new terrarium. (someone needs to design a better way to mount stuff in terrarium as well) lol..
Dragonstrand.com scroll down click advanced Cham setup...step by step cage setup for that viv in the pic.

Back
Top Bottom