New member and soon to be cham owner

I'm not sure how or how much to supplement calcium so I was hoping for a pointer on that and how much at a time.
I was reading I should be giving them 5-6 crickets a day and occasionally meal worms because they apparently are hard to digest? Was wondering other good foods except roaches my fiancé can't stand roachces.
Temps are 68* coldest and darkest part of the cage and 90* in basking spot. And the UVB I seen lots of people on here recommending it, it is the reptisun 5.0
Try some small horn worms. Your fiancé will probably think their cute and then your Cham will just scarf em down

Hello all I am not sure how this forum works but just a quick question before I Receive my 2-3month old Veiled cham from FLChams in two days. How is my Setup so far? Am I missing anything, anything I need to change? What I have is

Custom Dripper that goes off into two separate areas onto the plants
A Pothos plant
Umbrella plant
2x vines
Fake plants
Reptisun UVB 5.0
60W daylight true blue heat bulb
Repticalcium W/D3 calcium without D3
16x16x30 cage (will be upgrading when cham gets bigger)
Humidity gauge and digital temp gauge
Mealworm dish (I plan to feed loaded baby crickets and occasionally meal worms to start any other good foods?)

water dish to catch excess water
Eco carpet
The very coldest part of the cage is 68* and basking area is 85-90*
humidity before spray is 50 and after spray 80 so it goes between 50-80 I've been reading tons of posts on this site and am hoping I got something right for the new cham!

Oh wow your baby is going to love all of its hiding spots! I would reccomend to put large rocks on top of the dirt of the plants. Chameleons will often try to eat the dirt, which may contain twigs and phosphorous white balls, which can make your Cham sick. You can still keep the fake plants in your cage; many owners have a mixture of both. For your basking spot I would try to keep it at a steady 85, and have your basking spot at least 6-7 inches away from the lamps. If your Cham gets a burn it could get infected. (If anything just keep an eye on your Cham while basking.)

Okay sounds good! But why so out of curiosity haha and as far as misting goes what should the up and down times be? Some people say mist and peak humidity 3 times a day some say 6 ? Some even have misters that mist every 30 minutes
I usually use paper towels for the bottom of my cage. They're easy to clean up and often dry faster.

Thanks for all the awesome info! And yeah I was reading Mexican sand stones are pretty good to use for the top of the plant soil

Here's the new baby cham :D

Attachments

• 1B9B697E-9C84-46E4-B6F6-4719B5F0B76F.jpg
    1B9B697E-9C84-46E4-B6F6-4719B5F0B76F.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 120
Oh my goodness he's so tiny to cute congratulations :love:.
Thanks you! What repashy would be better for a daily gutload? Repashy Calcium plus and there's a repashy crested gecko? I been gutloading carrots and apples but repashy seems to have everything. Just not sure what's a better route

IMG_4912.JPG
Thanks you! What repashy would be better for a daily gutload? Repashy Calcium plus and there's a repashy crested gecko? I been gutloading carrots and apples but repashy seems to have everything. Just not sure what's a better route
This is the one I use if I don't make my own . I believe @Andee uses the calcium plus . I have not used it . Maybe she can give a bit more info on the calcium plus .

Repashy calcium plus is a dust and I technically use it, just not for my cham anymore. Since he goes out everyday. He doesn't need supplemented D3. As far as crested gecko diet I have touched on that on my gecko forum. But it would be relatively useless as a gutload. There are a lot of bad things in it for a gutload. I recommend combining superload with another gutload like cricket crack or bug buffet. And then of course do your fruits and veggies.

Repashy calcium plus is a dust and I technically use it, just not for my cham anymore. Since he goes out everyday. He doesn't need supplemented D3. As far as crested gecko diet I have touched on that on my gecko forum. But it would be relatively useless as a gutload. There are a lot of bad things in it for a gutload. I recommend combining superload with another gutload like cricket crack or bug buffet. And then of course do your fruits and veggies.
That's what I do as well if I don't make my own , super load and cricket crack . I personally have not used the calcium plus . Thank you for the quick answer ;).

Of course ^^ I don't use any commercial gutload. I make everything, but have around 20+ ingredients and add calcium plus to it. That way Ryker gets it more... dietary wise etc.

Of course ^^ I don't use any commercial gutload. I make everything, but have around 20+ ingredients and add calcium plus to it. That way Ryker gets it more... dietary wise etc.
Makes sense , I started making mine with Frances with her health issue and the meds/ injections and kidney issues . Needed to make sure her diet and hydration was well met , but I did not venture into the calcium plus .

It depends, I do a dry gutload which I blend and then grind a cup at a time in a small coffee grinder. Some people do a frozen ice cube route.

What's the best way to prepare home made gutload, do I need to prepare a certain way?
I use dandelion greens , Kale , endive , collard greens , sweet potato , zucchini , carrots , Red bell pepper , apple , raspberries , calcium , a tiny bit of honey the super load , cricket crack blend to a past and freeze then I have it when I need it . The Honey is controversial I've had some say the cam can't digest honey and it can cause blood sugar issues . I have not had that issue with my gutload . I think the feeders convert the Honey the chameleon does not . I've also used it with sick Scaly babies and with Frances straight and had good luck , but check with @Andee what she thinks . She rescues very sick chameleons and has much more experience than I .

Hello all I am not sure how this forum works but just a quick question before I Receive my 2-3month old Veiled cham from FLChams in two days. How is my Setup so far? Am I missing anything, anything I need to change? What I have is

Custom Dripper that goes off into two separate areas onto the plants
A Pothos plant
Umbrella plant
2x vines
Fake plants
Reptisun UVB 5.0
60W daylight true blue heat bulb
Repticalcium W/D3 calcium without D3
16x16x30 cage (will be upgrading when cham gets bigger)
Humidity gauge and digital temp gauge
Mealworm dish (I plan to feed loaded baby crickets and occasionally meal worms to start any other good foods?)

water dish to catch excess water
Eco carpet
The very coldest part of the cage is 68* and basking area is 85-90*
humidity before spray is 50 and after spray 80 so it goes between 50-80 I've been reading tons of posts on this site and am hoping I got something right for the new cham!

I'm assuming you got your cham already you should definitely post an update pic of your cham in its new enclosure ! Great job on the enclosure

Back
Top Bottom