New Humidifier to test the "Naturalistic Approach"

Decadancin

Moderatoris Americanus
Staff member
So, I am definitely intrigued by the thought of raising the humidity more at night. I have always had the humidity level go up a bit at night as the temps came down a bit, but I never got the temperature variance that I wanted to.

So here's my thought...

If the humidity level goes up at night, the ambient temperature will go down more than it does right now. This will be more of the desired effect that I am going for. As an added bonus, if the naturalistic approach to hydration will keep my chameleon well hydrated, that is a win-win as far as I am concerned (y). So I am going to start trying it out!

Here it is all set up in Raistlin's enclosure...

P8260022.JPG

P8260026.JPG

P8260027.JPG

Keep us posted on the results! I am curious on your humidifier... What sort of attachment did you use on the end of the tube to get the mist to split like that?

Keep us posted on the results! I am curious on your humidifier... What sort of attachment did you use on the end of the tube to get the mist to split like that?

They have a good output for a cheap ($24 on amazon) cool mist humidifier. It is the same one in the video on lola's cage build thread just the other color lol.

They have a good output for a cheap ($24 on amazon) cool mist humidifier. It is the same one in the video on lola's cage build thread just the other color lol.

Yes, but they had a flash sale and coupon that got me $10.00 off!!! Couldn't say no...

I'm looking at getting a new humidifier anyways, mine is a pain to fill and nearly impossible to clean thouroughly enough to prevent mold. How do you like yours for this?

I have the same model. I only use distilled water and keep it out of the light to prevent algae growth. I've had it a couple months. I fill it twice a week because I don't run it super high. My animals and cages are smaller with plastic sided cages so I'm getting plenty of humidity. I have yet to have any mold growth. I wipe out the bottom section when I change the water.

Yeah i have a humidfyer that i keep on the floor and let the mist tilted upward into the lower part of enclosure. And when i wake up to turn it off. My guys always chilling right by the mist lol

I’ve seen a lot of different kinds of humidifiers in goodwills/ Salvation Army thrift stores etc! I have the zoo med humidifier and only turn it on a few minutes once or twice a week..but always in the morning or right before bed.

I’ve seen a lot of different kinds of humidifiers in goodwills/ Salvation Army thrift stores etc! I have the zoo med humidifier and only turn it on a few minutes once or twice a week..but always in the morning or right before bed.

The idea with this approach is that you have it going for a few hours overnight. Hydration occurs during sleeping through the animal breathing air containing higher humidity.

I'm looking at getting a new humidifier anyways, mine is a pain to fill and nearly impossible to clean thouroughly enough to prevent mold. How do you like yours for this?

Still new, so I can't answer fully, but so far it is great. You have to be sure the reservoir is seated properly so it doesn't leak, but the mist is great for what I'm using it for.

So now I will be trying to track the temps and moisture at night while using the humidifier. I have a thermometer/hygrometer combo that has a high/low memory that I should be able to reset each night so I can see if I am truly getting the desired benefit from using it. Since I have had no issues with the enclosure so far I am going to increase the duration of fogging as well. So far I am liking the results from this unit. More to come when I have some numbers to share! :coffee:

My only worry with this project is the animal breathing in the cool mist and essentially inhaling larger amounts of water into his longs.
There should be a good distance between fog and animal so the mist can be 'absorbed' into the air.

Anyways I will soon whip out the humidifier and join the project, I think I will just have the mist run against the rear wall of the enclosure so It can spread out there.

You know I have been all for this.

However I just seen this, and they bring up some interesting points.

https://www.madcham.de/en/nebler-brunnen-und-wasserfaelle/

So now, I am not really sure where I stand lol.

However, would a heat humidifier solve the issues, they mention?

I mean I guess it wouldn't. Idk.

Maybe, if we used a separate fogger (we do, or I do, OP does) and use a UV disinfectant light to disinfectant the water supply? Idk, has to be a way to have our fog, and disinfect it too (haha)

Last edited:
My only worry with this project is the animal breathing in the cool mist and essentially inhaling larger amounts of water into his longs.
There should be a good distance between fog and animal so the mist can be 'absorbed' into the air.

Anyways I will soon whip out the humidifier and join the project, I think I will just have the mist run against the rear wall of the enclosure so It can spread out there.

It's not mist, at least not in the way you think. I have a house of hydro fogger, and it's dry to the touch, it doesn't feel like water at all, unless you keep it against your hand for a long time.

It's not mist, at least not in the way you think. I have a house of hydro fogger, and it's dry to the touch, it doesn't feel like water at all, unless you keep it against your hand for a long time.
If i sticky my head into my foggers mist and inhale it's unpleasant for my longs, I tried... That was enough reason for me to not completely fog the enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom