New home

Thoff13

How do I know if my Cham is happy in his new home, I've had him for about a week, he uses his highways and I've even seen him walking on the ground exploring but I just want to make sure he's happy

20180804_220013.jpg
Screenshot_20180804-213106.png
20180730_205516.jpg

It's all glass with a screen top, due to where I live humidity will be hard to. Maintain with all mesh but I do not think this is going to be perminant, I'm going to buy a mesh vertical to test out due to having to drain the tank everyday I don't want to stress him out even tho it doesn't seem to bother him to much as it gives him an excuse to climb up my arm and sit on my shoulder/head, and yes that is a water bottle made into a dripper, for 3 days all pet stores were sold out so I had to order online just waiting for it to come in. He walks everywhere including the ground so I feel he's comfortable I just want assurance.

We also added another plant to the right of the one in there and he loves both of them, I'd say it's his favorite spot he's actually sleeping on the one to the left right now

Yeah Cham are arboreal animals , as a permanent home, hieght will be a problem, the recommended adult chameleon enclosure is 2’x2’ square by 4’ tall...that enclosure may work for now but an expert would have to chime in maybe @jamest0o0 or @Brodybreaux25 could tell you If this will work long term. ...I see some great things but I’m not familiar with horizontal Cham set-ups...good luck , congrats again on your Cham

The pet store I got him from was in a horizontal glass tank with no mesh or screen at all and alot smaller than mine, alot of petco employees try telling me a glass tank is preferred but I would disagree, there's a mesh cage that I really like that I am trying to get this Friday coming up.

Fill out the help form and post your answers back here. The link is in my signature. I see several issues here, What type of Light is that?

The light you're seeing is my ceiling light in the mirror I have two 75w bulbs one being a basking bulb from zoo med and a uvb strip light

View attachment 211274 View attachment 211275 View attachment 211276

It's all glass with a screen top, due to where I live humidity will be hard to. Maintain with all mesh but I do not think this is going to be perminant, I'm going to buy a mesh vertical to test out due to having to drain the tank everyday I don't want to stress him out even tho it doesn't seem to bother him to much as it gives him an excuse to climb up my arm and sit on my shoulder/head, and yes that is a water bottle made into a dripper, for 3 days all pet stores were sold out so I had to order online just waiting for it to come in. He walks everywhere including the ground so I feel he's comfortable I just want assurance.
He is not comfortable. The reason he is pacing around on the floor is he is probably trying to find a way to escape and climb up something higher. As Tuck said, these are aborieal animals and are only comfortable when they are high above everything around him. If you can’t afford a new cage now just do what you can to move that tank to the highest point in the room you can get it.

So can he survive long term in that setup? Probably, but I guarantee he will not be happy with it. Over time this will contribute to long term low grade stress making him more susceptible to problems.

He doesnt pace on the floor he climbs down walks across the ground then climbs back up to his usual spot, he even hunts down there sometimes. He does like to be in the highest point of the tank so I can try and move him some place higher until I can transfer him to a new cage, which I will be getting. This is why I posted because I know that pet store employees tell me glass but I've been seeing comments about how they don't last to long in tanks so I found a mesh cage I like just have to wait for my paycheck to buy it

He doesnt pace on the floor he climbs down walks across the ground then climbs back up to his usual spot, he even hunts down there sometimes. He does like to be in the highest point of the tank so I can try and move him some place higher until I can transfer him to a new cage, which I will be getting. This is why I posted because I know that pet store employees tell me glass but I've been seeing comments about how they don't last to long in tanks so I found a mesh cage I like just have to wait for my paycheck to buy it
Good call, I think that would be best!

Back
Top Bottom