New here, just some questions

chrisarc

Hi everyone been lurkin arond for awhile but now I have some questions. I have experience with chams including Panthers and veileds. This is the first time Ive kept one outside. Hes a 3 month old veiled that I acquired 2 weeks ago. I live in SW florida and the weather has been in the mid 80's during the day and 50's at night. I have a screened in lanai facing East so hes getting a good 6-7 hours direct sunlight in the morning and a 75 watt flood light about 10 inches from the 8' potted hibiscus tree he is in. The spot is for basking when the sun passes directly overhead. Hes misted 3 times daily and is drinking well. Hes also shed 3 times in 2 weeks. My problem is, he will not feed. Is he still settling in? He looks very healthy. Any suggestions?

.... and a 75 watt flood light about 10 inches from the 8' potted hibiscus tree he is in

It sounds as though your chameleon has an environment in which it should thrive. I think it possible that the above description may create a basking spot a bit harsh, and would recommend you check it by taping a normal stem thermometer to the basking spot, face up, and let it "bask" for 10 minutes to see how hot that spot is or isn't. 90-95 just in that spot would be OK.

Is he defecating regularly, and maybe you just don't see him eat ? How is the food presented, via cup or free-range ? Some will not cup feed well. Have you tried an alternative insect ? For instance, if on crickets now, try some mealworms, or vice versa.

Could your chameleon be a Florida WC ? They can be plucked from trees not far from you. That might make him a bit more heebie-jeebie right now :eek:

Hope he gets with the program.

I actually purchased him from a local exotic animal store where the owner assured me he was captive bred. I also did witness him feed in the store. As far as insects ive tried; waxworms, mealworms and crickets from feeding tongs. As far as free range feeding, any ideas on how to do it? My lanai is about 25 by 10 and the odds off a cricket or other insect crawling up into the tree have to be slim. I will take your advice about his basking spot though. thanks

Try getting a large container, like tupper wear, and put the crickets in that and fasten it to a branch by where he likes to hang out. My male will not hand feed at all so i cup feed so i can regulate how much he is eating.

Back
Top Bottom