new owner here

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a panther chameleon and I am wondering if i have been over feeding him, which I just found out it could post a serious problem.

I got him for 2 weeks, have been feeding him few crickets daily, and 5-7 small grasshoppers (from breeder, not wild caught) weekly.

Attached photo for reference, the breeder told me he is 3 months old, but when I searched pictures online for 3 months old chameleons, it seems mine is bit larger, so I am wondering if I am doing it wrong..

Attachments

• 2D73DC4C-D312-4A95-8D86-C08FB4C78B46.jpeg
    2D73DC4C-D312-4A95-8D86-C08FB4C78B46.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 41
Hi and welcome. :) If anything, you’re not feeding him enough. At 3 months old he’s still got a lot of growing to do and it’s safe to feed him as much as he wants in about a 15 minute period or so. Usually that works out to about 15-20 feeders. As he gets older and his growth slows, you’ll want to gradually reduce the amount and frequency so that by the time he’s around 10-12 months old, you’re feeding him 3-4 feeders, every other day or even 3 days a week. You can monitor the top of his casque for signs of obesity. If it’s starting to bulge out, he’s getting fat.

Hi and welcome. :) If anything, you’re not feeding him enough. At 3 months old he’s still got a lot of growing to do and it’s safe to feed him as much as he wants in about a 15 minute period or so. Usually that works out to about 15-20 feeders. As he gets older and his growth slows, you’ll want to gradually reduce the amount and frequency so that by the time he’s around 10-12 months old, you’re feeding him 3-4 feeders, every other day or even 3 days a week. You can monitor the top of his casque for signs of obesity. If it’s starting to bulge out, he’s getting fat.
On my way to introduce him some waxworms, thank you for the insight.

Back
Top Bottom