new extensive jungle cage

mary prefontaine

I have a new cage in which i basically turned into a jungle. The only problem is the person who built it thought the floor being formica should be enough for the amount of moisture i have and it isnt. Any ideas on how to get a good drainage going? I thought of drilling a hole in the center or on the ends where it seems to be accumilating. but it is doing so in at leat 2-3 corners, so that isn't going to work.
The setting(see pics) is real tropical in there and perfect for the moss and everything so far, only too much water

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm283/mitzi1956/IMG_08432.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm283/mitzi1956/IMG_0819.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm283/mitzi1956/IMG_0827.jpg

My cage is nowhere near as complex as yours but I also had excessive standing water accumilation from my mister all over the bottom and when I first started drilling drainage holes I never considered that my feeders would escape until I started finding crix and roaches all over my house with no idea where they were coming from. Once I realized where they were escaping from I then placed a filter inbetween the cage and the stand where the holes were and that stopped the great escape. So Dont forget to use some extra screen material as a filter so that nothing escapes after drilling your holes.

drainage

Well I really couldn't see the pictures, but I know Summoner12 (Kevin) at aquazamp sells trays for the bottom of cages for water to accumulate. You may want to check with him. I think he can also get them made so if you are using an odd size he may be able to make one the size you need.

I had a similar problem, so I drilled a hole in the center of the cage and then took silicone and rounded out the corners where water was accumulating, so to speak. I essentially sloped the corners and the edges towards the center a little and it made it easier for water to not get stuck in the corners and edges and get stagnant.

The cage looks awesome, by the way! Really nice.

Nice enclosures those! Unfortunately wood and high humidity just don't mix. I keep lots of snakes, I'm very inventive and I've tried so many different approaches over years and years. Always ending in enclosures being so damaged they get thrown. I can suggest a couple of ideas that do slow that down though... Yacht varnish. Good stuff! Coat the inside of those enclosures again and again and again and that'll provide a layer of protection.
What I thought was my best idea (lining the enclosure with perspex) kills the enclosure as soon as a tiny bit of moisture gets between wood and perspex. I think maybe the best alternative to the varnish is probably the best ventillation systen in conjuction with the best fans you can find will probably be the best bet......

Thanks for all the replies everyone

I ended up calling the cage builder and most king to only find I had too much misting of the cage so I lowered it to 3-5 minutes 3 x's daily after emoting all that water out lol, the bottom does have like a coriander or Formica floor and was well sealed with silicone, and that's what kept it from soaking through the floor. Now with the smaller amount of misting I'm having a lot less problems.

Back
Top Bottom