New DIY cage

Edmar1023

Established Member
Going to attempt to build Morpheus AkA Pascual a new cage! Wish me luck!!

83BC2E6C-A32E-4889-B280-E63CDBF5674F.jpeg

That’s awesome! And even bigger than the comfortable cage size for a chameleon too. Bigger is always better, because then your chameleon has more room, you can fit more plants, vines, etc. so well done!

That’s awesome! And even bigger than the comfortable cage size for a chameleon too. Bigger is always better, because then your chameleon has more room, you can fit more plants, vines, etc. so well done!
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Mini mansion for him! Lol.

Ok so this one of the bottom or top panels. Just so u guys get the idea. I’ll post the rest once I’m done!
image.jpg

Looks like your working with regular window screen rather than the aluminum.... Feeders can chew their way out.

I would not do screen on the bottom. You need something stronger to support pots.

The T5 Leds are not really worth it. T5's are so efficient, that the led retrofits usually only draw half the amount of power. Its not like going from t12 to a led, where its an order of magnitude better efficiency. And on top of that, the led will be dimmer than the T5HO. All the T5 retro fits are for office "T5" which are half the watts of a T5HO.

I decided to make it. 3’x3’x4’ so I can get a light that is 36”. What do u guys think?
I think it's too late to ask opinions of what you've already decided! 🤷‍♂️

The main problem (I've read and learned from personal experience) with going deeper than 24" is that it can be a PITA trying to reach in that far for cleaning/maintenance. Going as wide as you want and/or as tall as you want doesn't have that problem.

The exceptions—of course—are walk-ins and access from both front & back or both sides. ;)

Last edited:
Can’t wait to see the finished product. :) Yes, T5’s do come in 36” length.
Yes, they do. Unfortunately, because that's not one of the more popular sizes (voice of experience—I have one) they're sometimes more expensive than 48". Worth shopping carefully.

An option would be to mount a 48" T5 HO UVB diagonally (opposite diagonal of config described below).

Last edited:
I was thinking about the T5 leds what are your thoughts on them?
They don't have the penetration of other configurations. I've not found data/specs on Sunblaster or Jungle Dawn, but this one is excellent; I have 2 in my 48 x 24 x 48.
https://www.sansiled.com/70w-led-grow-light-full-spectrum.html

Your square footage is only slightly larger (9 sq. ft. vs 8 sq. ft.) so I would try 2 mounted caddy-corner.

1616467216012.png

I haven't worked out the exact placement, but this is the general idea. A third could be added at the center if necessary.

There are other mfr./options, but these are the ones I have experience with.

Last edited:
U guys think I should put a vinyl bottom panel or screen? Let me know! Thanks for the input!! 👍🏽
I have screen on top of ceiling egg crate. It comes in 2x4 panels, so you'd need to get 2 and do some trimming (a side cutter pliers worked well). It allows water to drain through (but stops larger debris), and supports large pots—I have 3 center piece plants in 10" pots plus several more 6" pots on it with no problem.

Vinyl is ok if it's thick enough to support the weight, and you'll need to drill enough holes (or procide pitch) for drainage.

So here’s the update guys. Cage pretty much done. And I built a stand too. What’s u guys think?
Yup, that's an enclosure.

If that's how it's going to sit, I think it's still going to be too low. Chameleons—most being arboreal—are most comfortable when their basking area is at or above our eye-level (e.g. 6' or so).

You should be aware that panther chameleons are most comfortable when they are high up so often times when they are being held, they will attempt to walk up your arm and try to go onto your head.
Veiled Chameleon Care | Four Seasons Animal Hospital

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/meet-pinocchio.179637/#post-1624355

Back
Top Bottom