Jackson Chameleon cooling

Garethwynne

Hey folks.
I’ve got a problem with cooling. I see a couple of threads on this, but not quite what I'm after.
Ive been advised by the supplier that i need to get my temp down to single figures at night (•C), but the lowest i can get it is about 17. Its in my front room and its a mesh vivarium, which i understand is perfect for them… but how am i supposed to create such a difference between the ambient temp in the room (no heating overnight, just a well insulated new build home), and inside a mesh viv?
I’ve got a mister and a fogger installed already, and I've tried placing a double fan on top pointing downwards, but of course that just forces the hotter air into the viv.
My latest attempt is a 120w Peltier unit, but the small fans on that don’t push air through the mesh and if i put it inside then of course i have safety and electrical concerns… i spent over £1200 on this setup, I'm a fairly new keeper and its all doing my head in now!!
Help and advise gratefully received!
Thank you

Hi welcome in and congrats! Can you share a pic of your Jackson's? I've personally not heard of getting Jackson's down to 9C (48f) nightly, I HAVE heard of shooting for as close to 15.5C (60f) as possible and at 17 you're not too far off, I know that @elizaann2 has a Jackson's

I have heard of OTHER montane species getting down to single digits but not the Jackson's chameleon that I'm assuming you have (Xanth) I'd love to see pics of your guy and enclosure! :) You're in great hands here! If you have free time spend it on chameleonacademy.com and or watch some YouTube videos if you like visuals more!

Hello and welcome! Jackson’s are an incredible chameleon. Congrats!!

Getting your Jackson’s down to 48 degrees f or 9 degrees c should be fine.

Hello and welcome! Jackson’s are an incredible chameleon. Congrats!!

Getting your Jackson’s down to 48 degrees f or 9 degrees c should be fine.
Hi Elizaann, thanks for replying quickly. so you’re saying it DOES need to be single digits, like my supplier, where the other two replies so far are saying 17deg is fine. Honestly, that’s the main issue with being a new owner, you get contrary information everywhere you go!! I never know what’s best!

So, how do you get your habitat down that low? That was the original question. Do have it in a cold room or some solution I could look at?

Thank you

Hi and welcome,
My jackson sits between 16.5 and 18c at night all year and no troubles at all for 3 years. With 17c you should be fine but don't go above 18.
Well, that would be great if he’d be ok at that. Thank you
Hi welcome in and congrats! Can you share a pic of your Jackson's? I've personally not heard of getting Jackson's down to 9C (48f) nightly, I HAVE heard of shooting for as close to 15.5C (60f) as possible and at 17 you're not too far off, I know that @elizaann2 has a Jackson's

I have heard of OTHER montane species getting down to single digits but not the Jackson's chameleon that I'm assuming you have (Xanth) I'd love to see pics of your guy and enclosure! :) You're in great hands here! If you have free time spend it on chameleonacademy.com and or watch some YouTube videos if you like visuals more!
interesting, thank you for replying so quick. Message from my supplier below…

Hi Gareth,
Hope Cornelius is settling in well!
Just a quick message before I forget, as have been speaking with experienced breeders of Jackson's Chameleons and they are saying that drops in temperature to single figures (basically as long as it doesn't freeze) are recommended with Triocerus. Cornelius has been ok over winter since being born in September with no heat overnight, but coming into summer, I'd 100% recommend a fan on his viv overnight to really help keep those nighttime temps down 👍🏻

So yeah, as always, conflicting information depending on who I talk to. It’s so hard to know what to do!

IMG_4423.jpeg

Last edited:
They can handle easily single figure temps and the lower the better. But with 17C you will be doing fine, just don't let the temps go higher during summer. The rule of thumb is at least a 10 degrees temperature drop at night.

This is my boy, living healthy for 3 years now, with no single issue at 17c during, this is the same temp I use for my Boehmei (also montane species). My interpretation of @elizaann2 is that she confirms that 9c is acceptable and not needed. Her Xanth sits also around at 15-17c

april.jpg

Well, that would be great if he’d be ok at that. Thank you

interesting, thank you for replying so quick. Message from my supplier below…

Hi Gareth,
Hope Cornelius is settling in well!
Just a quick message before I forget, as have been speaking with experienced breeders of Jackson's Chameleons and they are saying that drops in temperature to single figures (basically as long as it doesn't freeze) are recommended with Triocerus. Cornelius has been ok over winter since being born in September with no heat overnight, but coming into summer, I'd 100% recommend a fan on his viv overnight to really help keep those nighttime temps down 👍🏻

So yeah, as always, conflicting information depending on who I talk to. It’s so hard to know what to do!

View attachment 353652
That's btw one handsome boy and I'm guessing a rainbow jackson. And I do understand your frustration about the contrary information and I'm happy you're so consistent about getting the correct information. That's serious attitude which is needed for keeping chameleon (y)

That's btw one handsome boy and I'm guessing a rainbow jackson. And I do understand your frustration about the contrary information and I'm happy you're so consistent about getting the correct information. That's serious attitude which is needed for keeping chameleon (y)
He’s a CB yellow crested Jackson’s… is that different?? He’s only 6 months old, fits on my finger.
We started with a female panther who died from unknown reasons after being spayed at one of the best reptile clinics in the country… she was our first and not a great start to the life… fingers crossed for a more successful go with this lovely boy.

They can handle easily single figure temps and the lower the better. But with 17C you will be doing fine, just don't let the temps go higher during summer. The rule of thumb is at least a 10 degrees temperature drop at night.

This is my boy, living healthy for 3 years now, with no single issue at 17c during, this is the same temp I use for my Boehmei (also montane species). My interpretation of @elizaann2 is that she confirms that 9c is acceptable and not needed. Her Xanth sits also around at 15-17c

View attachment 353656
Yep! Thanks @Sonny13

Hi Elizaann, thanks for replying quickly. so you’re saying it DOES need to be single digits, like my supplier, where the other two replies so far are saying 17deg is fine. Honestly, that’s the main issue with being a new owner, you get contrary information everywhere you go!! I never know what’s best!

So, how do you get your habitat down that low? That was the original question. Do have it in a cold room or some solution I could look at?

Thank you
Hey there!! As @Sonny13 mentioned earlier, you don't HAVE to get temps that low at night, but the colder you can get it the better. You just need to get at least 65 degrees F or 18 degrees C and of course if you can get temps lower then awesome.

I currently have my boy in an unfinished room in my basement. Because its not an insulated room the temps at night during the winter get down to the high 50s F (15-ish C) degrees and sometimes a bit lower, in the summer I have to use an AC unit for the room to help make sure I am getting 60-65 degrees F (18-15 degrees C).

I follow the care guides for the chameleon academy and so far my boy seems to be thriving.
https://chameleonacademy.com/the-jacksons-chameleon-trioceros-jacksonii/
https://chameleonacademy.com/the-jacksons-chameleon-trioceros-jacksonii/

Hi and welcome to the forum! I also have a male Jackson’s Xanth. My temps at night get down to 59-65 degrees F. They need high humidity at night as well, 80-100%. I achieve this by wrapping my screen enclosure on 3 sides with a clear plastic shower curtain. I have a fogger that goes from 12 midnight til 5am. With the shower curtain wrapped around 3 sides it creates like a mini climate within the enclosure and even though my heat is set at 65 F at night it can get down to 59F inside his enclosure. I hope that helps. Sorry, I don’t know what my temps are in Celsius.

Back
Top Bottom