New Chameleon just a few questions.

Triggerfreak

Well i finally got my new little vield chameleon last night.He is a male about 3 inches from head to tail and is very friendly.Just have a few questions.I have him in a 12x12x18 terrium right now as i feel he is too small for the big cage i originally set up for him.I do not have a dripper in there but mist heave 2 to 3 times a day and water stays for quite a while.Right now i just have a spiral power compact bulb in the hood and the temp is around 72 degrees or so.Should i add another light like my florescent light off the big cage.And i have tried to cup feed his and he is not really into the whole thing.I know they feed his some larger crickets yesterday so he might be full.I really prefer not to have the crickets running around the cage.They did have him in the exact set up at the store that he is in now.Mine is just fuller that there's.Any info would be great. Thanks and hear are some pics.
vieldchemeleon006.jpg

vieldchemeleon003-1.jpg

vieldchemeleon005.jpg

vieldchemeleon007.jpg

Good morning!! Cute little guy you have there! As far as his set up - make sure you have both a basking and a 5.0 UVB light (not sure if your spiral bulb is or not - there is some debate on if the CPF are safe, most ppl use the linear tube lights).

Make sure if you are cup feeding the little guy that he can get out of the cup if he falls in AND that no water is collecting in the cup (drowning your crickets and more importantly a hazard for the cham.

If you really want assistance with husbandry you could fill out the "How to Ask for Help" form, I will see if I can link it to you. If you fill it out all the way, members can make sure things look good before you have an emergency!

Here is the link: https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Make sure you get a uvb bulb, reptiglo or reptisun 5.0.
If your enclosure has mesh on the top you can just make a dripper with a bottle for example! And make sure you have a good drainage as well so the water won't stay on the bottom for too long that could cause mould or increases the change or growing bacteria! I'm sure somebody else who has veiled can give you more and better advises! Good luck!:)

I have the uvb bulb and dripper set up on the big cage.As i said what he is in right now is a terrium and i thing a dripper would be too much.I will move the uvb light to there.

It looks like all is set up well. I think for where you live, cold country like me, he is great for a while. If you want a dripper on him, just have a very slow dripper drip into a dish covered with a piece of screen. Just remember to empty the dish and you won't have a flood. I am personally famous for floods.:(

72 is probably a bit too chilly for the baby, chams love it between 85-98 degrees. You might want to make sure he has a basking light that will reach this temperature. It is ok for it to be cooler throughout the cage, so long as there is a spot he can access with these higher temps!

I moved my compact bulb light to the back of the cage and under it it is about 80 degrees and then put mu uvb light in the front.He seems to stay under that towards the top most of the time.He still has not ate anything but i know they did feed him a large cricket yesterday and he did poop already.

New home could also be the reason takes a bit for them to settle in. As long as he is drinking and you leave him be he will start eating for you :)

Make sure you are offering the correct size prey items... a good rule of thumb is crickets no longer than the distance across thhe top of his head between the eyes. Also I do not know from personal experience but have read a lot of posts that talk about compact bulbs causing eye problems. You might want to do a topical search on them if you want to keep using it.

Back
Top Bottom