Just a few questions... (baby panther)

ssammy

Hey forum, this is my first post and I just have a few questions regarding baby panthers. I dont currently have a cham at this point but I want to make sure everythings right before i do quite soon. I live in Canada so I dont have access to dubia roaches because they are illegal here, I have access to crickets,BSFL,superworms,waxworms and hornworms obviously most of those cant be a staple really only BSFL and crickets, so my first question is will that be enough if I gutload and supplement the bugs well and toss the worms in a appropriate amount? my second question is for a baby panther cham when feeding crickets do you guys recommend cup feeding or atleast trying to keep them in there or just letting them go in the cage? and my last question is I know the recommended distance of the distance from the basking light to the basking branch is 3-6 inches is that different for a baby? I will be using a 60w heat light.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think there are other roaches available in Canada can you get locusts? Personally I cup feed which is in the enclosure as apposed to me holding the cup and also a feeder run, as far as lights you will want a linear t5ho either a zoomed 5% or an arcadia t5ho 6% , this will be 8/9 inches above the basking branch, as I currently have a 4 month old panther my basking light is raised up off the screen as babies tend to climb the you. Wattage of the bulb can vary depending on different climates etc , so best too have watts and see what works best.

Hi

Attachments

• 20230707_161645.jpg
    20230707_161645.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 38
Welcome to the forum!

This might help you for the basking lights…

Hatchlings bodies are small and can overheat/dehydrate easily, so you have to make sure they can get out of the heat if they want to.
Personally I’ve never used basking lights on hatchlings because my cages have areas that are warm enough without it…76F to 80F.

In all my 30+ years of keeping chameleons, I’ve used crickets as a staple…they are easy to keep, gutload/feed and readily available and even easy to raise in your house. Of course I fed The chameleons super worms, silkworms, once in a while waxworks, etc as well to give the chameleon some variety.

I always free ranged all the insects in the cages…I think it’s good for chameleons to get some exercise hunting the insects down. Because I did this, I also left a small container of food for the insects in the cage as well…IMHO it gives the insects something to chew on besides the chameleon and draws the insects out into the open to eat the food….as well…it keeps the insects gutloaded/fed until they are eaten.

BTW…I live in Canada too!

Back
Top Bottom