Dwarf Fishers chameleon

jpm995

Established Member
Haven't had a cham for a few years [rip Dudley] went to a Reptile Expo on Long Island nd bought a Dwarf Fishers cham. Doing some research i see them listed under various names, Kinyongia boehmei, Kinyongia tavetanum and a few others. Not sure which one i have, It's very small about 3" body, a bit thin with the large bump on nose. I'll take pics if needed. The vendor said it was almost full grown. The vendor said to feed fruit flys, I'm hoping he also takes mealworms or pinhead crickets. Any feeding advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• 20231125_122324.jpg
    20231125_122324.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 27
Here's a pic.
Beautiful K. Boehmei 😍
Recognizable at his few spikes on his back and not covering his whole back. Mine is already 3,5 years and they’re an amazing active species which like it a bit colder, especially during the night (<65). When too hot they become really bright, even complete whitish.

Beautiful K. Boehmei 😍
Recognizable at his few spikes on his back and not covering his whole back. Mine is already 3,5 years and they’re an amazing active species which like it a bit colder, especially during the night (<65). When too hot they become really bright, even complete whitish.
Yes as soon as i put him on his Fiddle lea fig and sprayed the leaves he immediately drank. I dropped some fruit flies on the leaf and he immediately went into hunting mode, must have ate about 40 ff's. What else do these guys eat? Edit to add he seems smart to. At first he was trying to walk the leaves and kept slipping but adapted quickly to grabbing the leaves on their edges or keeping his tail wrapped around a branch.

Attachments

• 20231125_123046.jpg
    20231125_123046.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Yes as soon as i put him on his Fiddle lea fig and sprayed the leaves he immediately drank. I dropped some fruit flies on the leaf and he immediately went into hunting mode, must have ate about 40 ff's. What else do these guys eat? Edit to add he seems smart to. At first he was trying to walk the leaves and kept slipping but adapted quickly to grabbing the leaves on their edges or keeping his tail wrapped around a branch.
They’re really, really smart, I’ve tons of stories of them, even lost him for 7 weeks outside and came back home. This is the most underrated, but amazing species. Such amazing color scheme that got as well…..

IMG_3469.jpeg
IMG_3466.jpeg
IMG_4323.jpeg

Oo and forgot the answer your question. They also eat small dubia’s, waxworms and locusts. And members where able to also feed them small mantis.

That's a great looking cham. If mine looks half as good as yours i'll be verry happy. Edit to add thanks for feeder info. I hate dealing with fruit fly's if i can vary his diet it will make things much easier.

That's a great looking cham. If mine looks half as good as yours i'll be verry happy. Edit to add thanks for feeder info. I hate dealing with fruit fly's if i can vary his diet it will make things much easier.
He will 👌🏻
I’ve never used fruit flies, only green bottle or black soldier flies. Forgot to mention them, they also love them.

Apparently they have very fussy attitudes towards housing accommodations. He moved from his Fiddle leaf fig to his neighbors Corn Plant. He took the penthouse suite [top 3 leaves] and seems to enjoy the view. His neighbor [young Crested Gecko] doesn't seem to mind, he's a few floors down tucked between two leaves. I think the narrower leaves of the Corn plant are easier to navigate than the giant Fiddle Leaf leaves. I added a smaller Money Tree to the Greenhouse, not sure if he'll move again.

Attachments

• 20231125_122631.jpg
    20231125_122631.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 23
They had a smaller female at the booth for the same price [$60]. I'm kicking myself for not getting her also. I don't know the name of the vendor [weird they had no signs up like most vendors]. Guess i'l have to wait to the next show [think there's one in March] to add to my collection. Probably for the best as i have to learn how to best care for these guys.

They had a smaller female at the booth for the same price [$60]. I'm kicking myself for not getting her also. I don't know the name of the vendor [weird they had no signs up like most vendors]. Guess i'l have to wait to the next show [think there's one in March] to add to my collection. Probably for the best as i have to learn how to best care for these guys.
Oh dang I hate it when that happens. I hope you can find a female. Would you plan to breed them?

That's a shame and was a great opportunity, many of us are in the search for a Boehmei. I would love to breed them, it's just an amazing species

Couldn't find the little rat today, but after a long search spotted him. Guess the top leaf wasn't high enough for him. You're right Sonny they like to move around.
I'm jumping the gun here but if i do end up breeding forum members would be welcome to them.

Attachments

• 20231127_113224.jpg
    20231127_113224.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 23
Mine also lives free range and they enjoy this because of their high activity.
Would be interested to hear more about your setup. There are many dangers to free-range from stepping on them to elect outlets. My GH is is a lean to against my 12x18 shed with on real wall between them [just studs]. The shed acts as a heat sync and there's a 6"stepup from the GH to shed. I have an oversized mini split unit [24k btu] to heat/cool and so far it keeps temps at 64 degrees [i can adjust up if needed] but the GH is heating to 75-80 degrees so far from the sun. I have a 130-gallon pond on the other end of Greenhouse i doubt he could fall in but it's possible.

Back
Top Bottom