New chameleon help.

Celtics4Lifee

I just got a new 6.5 month old female vieled. I was wondering how long does it take for her to get used to me. Everytime i look at her she walks the other way. And she always hides from me. Please help, im still a noob. Lol

There is no definite time. It usually takes several weeks for them to settle into new surroundings. I have had chams that take a month to finally relax and explore the enclosure. Temperament is based on the individual but in my experience most chams settle down a bit around 8-9 months. Some will always be skittish or nasty but for the most part they eventually tolerate you. It just takes time

Don't no how long u have had her but it's best to give them at least a couple weeks to get used to the new home and also you. Some Chams never do like people and will never accept us or being held etc. In many cases if you start by hand feeding they can at least get to the point that your hand is no longer a ( BIG THING TRYING TO EAT THEM ) :D What I am about to say will start a firestorm but SOME veilds are just like that :mad: :D I had one female years ago that was one of the meanest critters I ever had!!! If you take it slow she might just warm up to you and be a lap lizard,look at the care info and threads on this forum and it will help you alot!! good luck with your new girl and we are glad you are here. I am going to go hide now as ALL the Veiled lovers have a target on my head now :D :D :D

My girl was about a year old before she stopped hiding every time I was too close (unless there was food :)).
Even now she sometimes hides behind her basking stick if her door is open and I walk past without warning.....it's just what they do....maybe you'll get lucky and she'll get really well habituated to people when she's bigger and older.
The best you can do is go slow and be patient, constantly offering food by hand until she starts to be happy to see you :)

David always nails the posts, so he pretty well covered it. I am a noob too, just got a male veiled (9 months old) and had him for 2 weeks now. He is still super shy and skittish, but he has come a long ways in a short time. Some days it's really hard not to want him to be comfortable with me now, but stay patient and go on their time table and it'll all work out :) Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom