My New Baby Veiled Cham

Aww i feel deeply devastated this happened to you, it is not easy to lose a life in any way, shape, or form, but thank you for telling me this so that it helps me be more cautious and save my chams life <33🫶💋
You can definitely take them outside, but it’s like having a squirrel for a pet and bringing it outside. Predatory birds can see them a mile away, especially since they’re brightly colored. I don’t see many teal and orange squirrels. They wouldn’t last very long! Use an outdoor enclosure or stay nearby, aware, and vigilant

Thank you so much , 🖤🫶🥹
I thought that maybe she was reacting a certain way to the enclosure because it’s not set up correctly yet. And she would also squint her eyes and occasionally sleep during the day.
I don’t want to alarm you when I know you’re already nervous, but sleeping during the day is not at all normal nor good. It’s a sign that something very serious is wrong. You haven’t had her long enough for it to be from anything that you’ve done or not done though. Chain pet stores are notorious for not only their crappy husbandry, but they get their animals from mass breeders who care little about quality and health so the animals are often sickly. You have the option to return her. If you don’t want to do that, then you need to get the correct uvb and basics immediately and follow thru with the vet visit. It possibly could be from stress. They can reach a certain limit of being stressed where they just give up and close their eyes and wait to be eaten.

I don’t want to alarm you when I know you’re already nervous, but sleeping during the day is not at all normal nor good. It’s a sign that something very serious is wrong. You haven’t had her long enough for it to be from anything that you’ve done or not done though. Chain pet stores are notorious for not only their crappy husbandry, but they get their animals from mass breeders who care little about quality and health so the animals are often sickly. You have the option to return her. If you don’t want to do that, then you need to get the correct uvb and basics immediately and follow thru with the vet visit. It possibly could be from stress. They can reach a certain limit of being stressed where they just give up and close their eyes and wait to be eaten.
I have to get organic potting soil for her plants , uvb fixture , hygrometer and that should be it. The uvb I will get today along with the soil but waiting on the hygrometer. I’m gonna get her a bigger enclosure sometime later. What do u advise I do as far as getting her out of the enclosure for the vet or so that I can fix up her cage without stressing her, I still have to set it up in my house so i know I’ll need something to hide her in for the time being. I am doing my best to get everything for her.

The uvb is the most important right now. You can sit that on top of her enclosure without stressing her at all. When you take her to the vet, they carry best in a closed box with a secure branch for them to hold onto. In the dark they usually just fall asleep until taken out. Make sure to tell the vet about the squeaking sounds she was making. Also, be prepared to say what your husbandry is and what improvements you’ll be making. I always say to just print out the help form that you filled out or have it ready to pull up on your phone. It just saves time. If you have enough stuff ready to go inside her enclosure tomorrow, you could just leave her in the carry box after the vet while you set things up. Otherwise, it would be better to wait until you’re ready for most of your changes and do them all at once. Please keep us posted on how sweet little Moona is doing and what the vet says. 💗

The uvb is the most important right now. You can sit that on top of her enclosure without stressing her at all. When you take her to the vet, they carry best in a closed box with a secure branch for them to hold onto. In the dark they usually just fall asleep until taken out. Make sure to tell the vet about the squeaking sounds she was making. Also, be prepared to say what your husbandry is and what improvements you’ll be making. I always say to just print out the help form that you filled out or have it ready to pull up on your phone. It just saves time. If you have enough stuff ready to go inside her enclosure tomorrow, you could just leave her in the carry box after the vet while you set things up. Otherwise, it would be better to wait until you’re ready for most of your changes and do them all at once. Please keep us posted on how sweet little Moona is doing and what the vet says. 💗
Of course🫂💚thanks for the help , I will update you on her changes and the vet appointment tomorrow.

What happens is we bring home a cute baby chameleon from the pet store and have all the wrong equipment. We come onto the forums and realize everything that we need, it’s overwhelming, and we set out rearranging the enclosure and replacing equipment while the chameleon is living in that space. That’s REALLY stressful on them. Not only were they in a poor husbandry situation to begin with, now they’re pulled from that situation into a total new and scary space, with a hairless ape poking around in the enclosure, shaking and cutting things, reaching overhead, etc.

Ideally you want them to come into a complete environment that’s move in ready. That’s the way it will go from now on, I’m sure. We have all been where you are.

Best case scenario here is you set up the proper enclosure somewhere else and move her into it, rather than rearranging things in and around her current cage.

What happens is we bring home a cute baby chameleon from the pet store and have all the wrong equipment. We come onto the forums and realize everything that we need, it’s overwhelming, and we set out rearranging the enclosure and replacing equipment while the chameleon is living in that space. That’s REALLY stressful on them. Not only were they in a poor husbandry situation to begin with, now they’re pulled from that situation into a total new and scary space, with a hairless ape poking around in the enclosure, shaking and cutting things, reaching overhead, etc.

Ideally you want them to come into a complete environment that’s move in ready. That’s the way it will go from now on, I’m sure. We have all been where you are.

Best case scenario here is you set up the proper enclosure somewhere else and move her into it, rather than rearranging things in and around her current cage.
💯💯💯💯

SO important to research and plan ahead. Buy the animal later. All are always attainable. Always focus on the necessities.

So we went to the vet today and baby Moona unfortunately has a respiratory infection 💔🥺 could have come from the pet store not having taking care of her right plus the stress i admit to putting on her because of the moving most likely but she said it wasn’t my fault. They were so nice with her and she was a good girl . They Prescribed her some antibiotics to give her every 24 hours orally, the first dose didn’t go well because she moved and it got on her face but I’m hoping it doesn’t affect her because i saw her lick some off. shes gaping even more ,squeaking, and popping. I stayed up late last night getting her enclosure better but I do want to get the bigger one soon. I need a lower wattage bulb because it’s making the temperature over 100 degrees, my room already gets so hot because of floridas weather, so I have a fan running near her cage to cool it down so now it’s in the high 80s .i positioned the light higher to cool it down, she still climbs to the very top where the light is so I’m thinking of just completely taking out the vines Because she’s being a butthead and making me nervous lol. She still won’t eat the worms , the crickets are too small and I don’t want to leave the crickets in there and she won’t eat them bc they will get loose ( hopefully not) or die, i just leave the food there in case she does. my local incredible pets store doesn’t have the Arcadia uvb but they did have reptisun so i got one that could fit for now. They also didn’t have the repashy bug burger but they do have other repashy gut loading products , I didn’t want to get either unless I was sure what was in it or what it does so I just waited until I could get help from someone on here. i really hope to get Moona better very very soon.🖤🥺
we thank you so much for the concern of her safety and well being 💋

Attachments

• IMG_1717.jpeg
    IMG_1717.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1718.jpeg
    IMG_1718.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 25
So we went to the vet today and baby Moona unfortunately has a respiratory infection 💔🥺 could have come from the pet store not having taking care of her right plus the stress i admit to putting on her because of the moving most likely but she said it wasn’t my fault. They were so nice with her and she was a good girl . They Prescribed her some antibiotics to give her every 24 hours orally, the first dose didn’t go well because she moved and it got on her face but I’m hoping it doesn’t affect her because i saw her lick some off. shes gaping even more ,squeaking, and popping. I stayed up late last night getting her enclosure better but I do want to get the bigger one soon. I need a lower wattage bulb because it’s making the temperature over 100 degrees, my room already gets so hot because of floridas weather, so I have a fan running near her cage to cool it down so now it’s in the high 80s .i positioned the light higher to cool it down, she still climbs to the very top where the light is so I’m thinking of just completely taking out the vines Because she’s being a butthead and making me nervous lol. She still won’t eat the worms , the crickets are too small and I don’t want to leave the crickets in there and she won’t eat them bc they will get loose ( hopefully not) or die, i just leave the food there in case she does. my local incredible pets store doesn’t have the Arcadia uvb but they did have reptisun so i got one that could fit for now. They also didn’t have the repashy bug burger but they do have other repashy gut loading products , I didn’t want to get either unless I was sure what was in it or what it does so I just waited until I could get help from someone on here. i really hope to get Moona better very very soon.🖤🥺
we thank you so much for the concern of her safety and well being 💋
I'm sorry your lady isn't doing well, keeping her in my prayers. You are doing an amazing job! I can tell you definitely care for her 💗 hope she gets better soon.

Aww…poor sweetie pie. Did they show you how to give the antibiotic? Just in case…it’s nerve wracking at first, but gets better. Place her on a crumpled up towel that she can grip onto. You can very gently grasp her casque to get her to open her mouth. Don’t try forcing anything between her lips to pry it open. You could also very gently squeeze at the corners of her mouth. If she starts closing her eyes, she’s overly stressed so put her back in her enclosure and try again in an hour or so. Once you get her mouth open, aim the medication towards the very back of her throat…not the front. The airway is in the front and we don’t want her to aspirate her meds. See the below pic. Aim for the blue arrow.
IMG_0100.jpeg
You definitely need a much lower watt basking bulb. For now just turn it off. If your room is warm enough, you might not even need a basking light right now. Temps of 78-80 are perfect.
You don’t want to leave crickets in her enclosure as at night they can/will bite her unless you leave something for them to eat. I was going to make a little feeding station for you (before I knew the ReptiRain was dead), but it’s super easy for you to do with an old take out container or plastic food storage container. If you prefer, you could buy one. https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/shooting-gallery-chameleon-feeder/ As a substitute for some of the little earring back tack covers, I use cut up pencil eraser. If you make your own, just make sure to dull the sharp edges with a lighter or sandpaper.
I would wait for the Bug Burger to be back in stock and just feed your bugs fresh produce.

@MissSkittles sent me a great video of herself showing me how to administer medication. She will see this post and maybe she will drop the video here.

FYI - I was a nervous, acvidental Cham owner. I used pet handling gloves until I became comfortable handling. I also used a long branch placed under the belly, then I raise it slightly for the Cham to grip it with the front claws. I continue to lift the branch higher until the back claws are on the branch. Please monitor the tail. It can be damaged. The tail is very strong. They will grip a branch with the tail. I slightly touch the tail and my Cham releases his tail grip.
Screenshot_20231108_175308_Amazon Shopping.jpg

@MissSkittles sent me a great video of herself showing me how to administer medication. She will see this post and maybe she will drop the video here.

FYI - I was a nervous, acvidental Cham owner. I used pet handling gloves until I became comfortable handling. I also used a long branch placed under the belly, then I raise it slightly for the Cham to grip it with the front claws. I continue to lift the branch higher until the back claws are on the branch. Please monitor the tail. It can be damaged. The tail is very strong. They will grip a branch with the tail. I slightly touch the tail and my Cham releases his tail grip. View attachment 346286
I need those gloves for when I handle Lucky. His grip is sooo tight that he is always puncturing my skin with his claws.

My poor shy Hammlet 😢 May he be making the trees of Heaven more beautiful.

So glad to hear she got some meds! You’re doing great with her. When my guy had to take meds, I was lucky he’s feisty because I could get him to open his mouth easily to his at me and then quickly shoot it in the back of his throat. 🤞 the meds work soon. When it was hot where I live, I would just turn the basking light off completely, and he was just fine.

Aww…poor sweetie pie. Did they show you how to give the antibiotic? Just in case…it’s nerve wracking at first, but gets better. Place her on a crumpled up towel that she can grip onto. You can very gently grasp her casque to get her to open her mouth. Don’t try forcing anything between her lips to pry it open. You could also very gently squeeze at the corners of her mouth. If she starts closing her eyes, she’s overly stressed so put her back in her enclosure and try again in an hour or so. Once you get her mouth open, aim the medication towards the very back of her throat…not the front. The airway is in the front and we don’t want her to aspirate her meds. See the below pic. Aim for the blue arrow.
View attachment 346282
You definitely need a much lower watt basking bulb. For now just turn it off. If your room is warm enough, you might not even need a basking light right now. Temps of 78-80 are perfect.
You don’t want to leave crickets in her enclosure as at night they can/will bite her unless you leave something for them to eat. I was going to make a little feeding station for you (before I knew the ReptiRain was dead), but it’s super easy for you to do with an old take out container or plastic food storage container. If you prefer, you could buy one. https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/shooting-gallery-chameleon-feeder/ As a substitute for some of the little earring back tack covers, I use cut up pencil eraser. If you make your own, just make sure to dull the sharp edges with a lighter or sandpaper.
I would wait for the Bug Burger to be back in stock and just feed your bugs fresh produce.
thanks for the video it was a really helpful visual , I will try it tmr with her. Yea during the day it gets hotter in my room which will make it high 90s-100s and my only way of cooking it down is by the fan and keeping that light raised but it's not in the spot I want it to be in. I'm gonna try getting a smaller wattage bulb TMR before work ( I was at work tonight so sorry for the late replies 😵‍💫) I will get some greens for her soon. Thank you for helping.

FYI - I was a nervous, acvidental Cham owner. I used pet handling gloves until I became comfortable handling. I also used a long branch placed under the belly, then I raise it slightly for the Cham to grip it with the front claws. I continue to lift the branch higher until the back claws are on the branch. Please monitor the tail. It can be damaged. The tail is very strong. They will grip a branch with the tail. I slightly touch the tail and my Cham releases his tail grip. View attachment 346286
Yes! Because she will trick me and go slow at first lol she jerks her body then takes a step but as soon as you move she's like the road runner!!! 🤭😅She's so fast. Thank you for this suggestion.

So glad to hear she got some meds! You’re doing great with her. When my guy had to take meds, I was lucky he’s feisty because I could get him to open his mouth easily to his at me and then quickly shoot it in the back of his throat. 🤞 the meds work soon. When it was hot where I live, I would just turn the basking light off completely, and he was just fine.
Okay good because I didn’t want to completely cancel her basking light area . She is miss sassy lol but I know stubborn and sassy oh to well so we will get along lol. I really do hope the meds work , I’ll always update u guys🥺🖤🥰

Okay good because I didn’t want to completely cancel her basking light area . She is miss sassy lol but I know stubborn and sassy oh to well so we will get along lol. I really do hope the meds work , I’ll always update u guys🥺🖤🥰
I always say the longer I have Spaghetti the more I think I was supposed to be a chameleon 😂 we are both grumpy, require 12 hours of sleep, don’t like to drink water, and always looking for snacks.

I always say the longer I have Spaghetti the more I think I was supposed to be a chameleon 😂 we are both grumpy, require 12 hours of sleep, don’t like to drink water, and always looking for snacks.
awww ur chams name is spaghetti ! That is so cute , my bf is also the type to name animals after food just to play with me 😅

Back
Top Bottom