new cham

Croat

hi im new here and i am thinking of getting a veiled chameleon baby. i have done a lot of research on them but im still not sure how to properly set up its enclosure. i am planing on using a large tall exo terra which i think should be okay because of the ventilation. if someone would give me a list of things i need to get for its enclosure that would be great! thanks!

* UBV light
* Daytime heat bulb
* Nighttime heat bulb
* misting system or water bottle to hand mist
* Calcium Supplement without D3
* Calcium Supplement with D3
* Reptile Vitamins
* Some plants and sticks to fill the cage

UVB/UVA bulb/strip light and fixture

some artificial plants/vines also the realistic vines.

no night heating is necessary unless the room your cham is in goes under 50 degrees.. they like a nice 50-60 degrees temperature at night.

branches for climbing (you can get some outside, put them in water and some bleach/clorox and then bake, if too big for oven-blow dry.

basking bulb and fixture.. not too get a 75 watt and make sure its at least a foot away from the basking spot for your cham..babies are sensitive to heat

a live plant is ideal, but not absolutely necessary. Schefflera (Umbrella) and Hibiscus are pretty good. be sure to spray with soapy water and rinse before placing inside cage.

temperature and humidity gauges. for misting, just use a spray bottle or buy a mister.. if you're a traveler buy a misting system.. repti foggers are fine. i don't know why people don't like them. i have one it's great.

And for the bottom/substrate.. no eco earth or any type of dirt.. they could accidently digest it while getting food.. i use news paper. chams are tree dwellers and won't even go to the bottom..

and that's about it.. just get multiple quantities of this stuff of your preference! all the stuff i mentioned could be found at petco or petsmart.. except for the live plants.. they're at walmart. lol Hope this helps!

* UBV light
* Daytime heat bulb
* Nighttime heat bulb
* misting system or water bottle to hand mist
* Calcium Supplement without D3
* Calcium Supplement with D3
* Reptile Vitamins
* Some plants and sticks to fill the cage

This is good, but no nighttime heatbulb though. Unnecessary except if you live in a cold climate all the time. Live plants such as pothos, ficus and shefflera plants will make the chameleon very happy. No substrate needed. You need rubbermaid bins to keep your feeders in. (Crickets, Roaches) and if you choose to feed with superworms, butterworms, wax worms, phoenix worms, mealworms, hornworms, or silkworms, then it is a little bit harder. Waxworms and butterworms are high in fat though, so only as a treat or not any at all.

The daytime bulb needs to be strong enough to keep the cage at 75-85 degrees while the basking spot around 90-95 degrees. Night temps should be 70-80. 5.0 is recommended and probably the best for the UVB bulb but I use 8.0 and some use 10.0

Hi and welcome!

You will need a lot of things and if you're anything like me, you'll never feel like your finished buying stuff for your baby!

You will need a UVB strip bulb 5.0
A dome fixture with a regular house bulb for basking
A thermostat (check your temps first and if you can achieve optimum temps without it then it's ok)
A drip system
A misting system or a spray bottle
Plenty of vines and branches going all directions
You can get good ideas from this section https://www.chameleonforums.com/enclosures-supplies/

Some safe plants from this list
https://www.chameleonforums.com/plants/

You should also check out this blog https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Hope this helps :)

Darn you all beat me to it lol!

For supplements you could use repashy calcium plus its used everyday and wont get you confused with a schedule. since its everyday

hi im new here and i am thinking of getting a veiled chameleon baby. i have done a lot of research on them but im still not sure how to properly set up its enclosure. i am planing on using a large tall exo terra which i think should be okay because of the ventilation. if someone would give me a list of things i need to get for its enclosure that would be great! thanks!

Get one from LLLReptile, they have very healthy babies. :D It is only 40 bucks plus 50 bucks shipping. If you get one from them, it might be the brother or sister of my chameleon. :D

FLChams and Tiki Tiki Reptiles are also good. :)

thank you! just one more question. How strong do the bulbs need to be?

UVB should be a 5.0 (i use a 18" ReptiSun UVB on my ExoTerras)
The basking bulb can be a regular household incandescent bulb. Start with a 40watt and work your way up, till you get the desired basking temp. For a baby Veiled , you'd want something in the range of mid 80's (like 84-85* at the backing spot).

You will encounter drainage problems with the ExoTerra, no if ands or buts about it! I have misted my ExoTerra by hand for some time. But for ease of mind and convenience, a misting system is a good idea.

You also need a dripper, something that will dripp for a good portion of your Cham's awake time.

This is what i did with my ExoTerra for my L.williamsi geckos. But if you replace the bamboo with vines, it will work just fine.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/natural-forest-floor-terrarium-testing-build-84013/

The daytime bulb needs to be strong enough to keep the cage at 75-85 degrees while the basking spot around 90-95 degrees. Night temps should be 70-80. 5.0 is recommended and probably the best for the UVB bulb but I use 8.0 and some use 10.0

Hey, I hate to correct people because I hate it but the basking temperature shouldn't be that high. Should be around 80 for females(maybe even lower-77-79 degrees) and for males around 83-85 degrees. The temperature in the cage should be high 70s but for babies if you are getting a 2-3 month old definitely the heat that high isn't really needed. Babies don't need to bask until like 3 months of age I think Jann had said in a previous post somewhere on the forum. Hope that helps you!

Hey, I hate to correct people because I hate it but the basking temperature shouldn't be that high. Should be around 80 for females(maybe even lower-77-79 degrees) and for males around 83-85 degrees. The temperature in the cage should be high 70s but for babies if you are getting a 2-3 month old definitely the heat that high isn't really needed. Babies don't need to bask until like 3 months of age I think Jann had said in a previous post somewhere on the forum. Hope that helps you!

Well thanks for the correction! I'm actually still setting me cage up so I can buy a veiled in 3 weeks. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom