Spikes home

Spikemomma

Established Member
Thank you guys for this amazing group. Wanted to show off my new veiled cham, Spikes, home. He is four years old and we just brought him home about a week ago. He has been settling in okay , and has started to shed which I am nervous about but hoping he will do great!! Just hung some new plants for him. Any critique is appreciated:) we have a 60w bulb along with a %7 T5uvb, and run a humidifier at night. I also have an infrared thermometer gun that we use to measure around the enclosure

Attachments

• IMG_4674.jpeg
    IMG_4674.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4681.jpeg
    IMG_4681.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4682.jpeg
    IMG_4682.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4683.jpeg
    IMG_4683.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4667.jpeg
    IMG_4667.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4664.jpeg
    IMG_4664.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 12
Thank you guys for this amazing group. Wanted to show off my new veiled cham, Spikes, home. He is four years old and we just brought him home about a week ago. He has been settling in okay , and has started to shed which I am nervous about but hoping he will do great!! Just hung some new plants for him. Any critique is appreciated:) we have a 60w bulb along with a %7 T5uvb, and run a humidifier at night. I also have an infrared thermometer gun that we use to measure around the enclosure
This was his enclosure when we got him

Attachments

• IMG_4532.png
    IMG_4532.png
    438.5 KB · Views: 17
Are you running a ceramic heat emitter on the cage? This I would remove completely. Unless your household temps get below 50 at night.

Need to swap out that 7% bulb it actually has a totally different UVA and UVB output as it is made for shade dwelling species. Ideally you want a 24 inch T5HO fixture with a 6% uvb bulb for it.

60 watt heat bulb is perfect. What size cage is he in now?

Watch him for eating the dirt in the plants. Veileds will go after all sorts of things. But with the dirt they will eat those little white pieces as well which is an impaction risk. To avoid this go to the craft store and get their river rock that is used in fake plant decor. You want pieces that are larger than an inch in size put a layer on top of your dirt.

Much improvement over his original set up.

Are you running a ceramic heat emitter on the cage? This I would remove completely. Unless your household temps get below 50 at night.

Need to swap out that 7% bulb it actually has a totally different UVA and UVB output as it is made for shade dwelling species. Ideally you want a 24 inch T5HO fixture with a 6% uvb bulb for it.

60 watt heat bulb is perfect. What size cage is he in now?

Watch him for eating the dirt in the plants. Veileds will go after all sorts of things. But with the dirt they will eat those little white pieces as well which is an impaction risk. To avoid this go to the craft store and get their river rock that is used in fake plant decor. You want pieces that are larger than an inch in size put a layer on top of your dirt.

Much improvement over his original set up.
Thank you! Yes we have a ceramic heating bulb right now but that is because we weren’t able to find a halogen bulb, so the light bulb is an LED which I know doesn’t put any heat out, I am working on getting a halogen bulb that we can swap so it will produce heat but I’m not sure where to get one around here as everything is LED these days. We turn the CHE of at night though to get the drop in temp. And okay good to know for the uvb, I got what they recommended at the pet store and obviously they didn’t know what they were talking about. , I will look for a %6 , is there a place I can order one? And so far I have most of the plants covered with stones on top, and the ones I don’t have the top 2 inches or so potted with reptisoil. So far he hasn’t shown an interest to the soil.

Thank you! Yes we have a ceramic heating bulb right now but that is because we weren’t able to find a halogen bulb, so the light bulb is an LED which I know doesn’t put any heat out, I am working on getting a halogen bulb that we can swap so it will produce heat but I’m not sure where to get one around here as everything is LED these days. We turn the CHE of at night though to get the drop in temp. And okay good to know for the uvb, I got what they recommended at the pet store and obviously they didn’t know what they were talking about. , I will look for a %6 , is there a place I can order one? And so far I have most of the plants covered with stones on top, and the ones I don’t have the top 2 inches or so potted with reptisoil. So far he hasn’t shown an interest to the soil.
You can use incandescent white bulbs for heat bulbs as well. a 60 watt is a good wattage to get. Ideally I would return the uvb you got and order an arcadia pro T5 with a 6% bulb. But get one that will run the width of your enclosure. You really want more coverage of the age for the UVB. I order a lot from this company. https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures-kits/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-24-with-bulb/
That is the correct fixture just choose the 6% bulb option.

Watch temps with the CHE and how close he can get. I have seen some horrific thermal burns to the casque and spine with CHE being used.

When I got my guy he had no interest in soil or plants. Once he got settled in…..oh my gosh…. Little goof will eat ANYTHING! Ive seen him eat dirt multiple times. He stripped a money tree bare and is hard at work on his monstera and yesterday he went to town on his brand new pathos 😑 in combination with my less than adequate gardening skills, it’s a battle. So if I were you, I’d keep a close eye. His lack of interest can change 😂

When I got my guy he had no interest in soil or plants. Once he got settled in…..oh my gosh…. Little goof will eat ANYTHING! Ive seen him eat dirt multiple times. He stripped a money tree bare and is hard at work on his monstera and yesterday he went to town on his brand new pathos 😑 in combination with my less than adequate gardening skills, it’s a battle. So if I were you, I’d keep a close eye. His lack of interest can change 😂
Thank you lol!! Good to consider I will definitely keep an eye on it lol!! I have some plants attached that are just clippings in water so hopefully he is not too interested😆

Back
Top Bottom