What’s your ideal setup for a juvenile Jackson’s chameleon (Machakos hills)?

I’ve followed the care sheet from Chameleon Academy and have an Exo Terra terrarium currently set up (ventilation holes in front and screen mesh up top, all glass otherwise for humidity). He’s been crawling upside down on the screen top and I’m so glad I have the lights up so he won’t burn but there’s obviously some issue happening here. Is it because he’s in a new place? He seems to be adjusting fairly well.

Anyway, just wanted to glean some advice from anyone experienced with raising juvenile Jackson’s! I’m down to follow an enclosure setup down to the letter so he can be comfortable. Thanks for any and all input, I really love how friendly this forum is :)

One thing I do think is an issue is getting the temperature drop down enough at night because I understand they like to be on the cooler side. His ambient night temp has floated around 68 with his day temp 71-73 and I definitely don’t think that’s enough but correct me if that’s wrong.

Does anyone have advice on how to cool him down some more? I just bought a swamp cooler fan to put next to the enclosures to try to help bring that down, I live in Los Angeles and the AC runs at 72 but we try not to go lower than that since it’s pricey for a larger space. The air also runs through my son’s room pretty hard so I don’t want him to freeze. Hoping to find some ideas!

One thing I do think is an issue is getting the temperature drop down enough at night because I understand they like to be on the cooler side. His ambient night temp has floated around 68 with his day temp 71-73 and I definitely don’t think that’s enough but correct me if that’s wrong.

Does anyone have advice on how to cool him down some more? I just bought a swamp cooler fan to put next to the enclosures to try to help bring that down, I live in Los Angeles and the AC runs at 72 but we try not to go lower than that since it’s pricey for a larger space. The air also runs through my son’s room pretty hard so I don’t want him to freeze. Hoping to find some ideas!
Hello! I also have a Jackson’s. I had to buy an ac unit (most of us do) in order to provide the temp drops that Jackson’s need to survive. Mine was $350 on sale on Amazon. Maybe with the fall coming you can find an even better deal than me. Without the nighttime temp drops it will drastically shorten his lifespan. My boy is in a room all to his own so he doesn’t freeze any of us out at night. Is moving his enclosure to another space in your house an option?

Hello! I also have a Jackson’s. I had to buy an ac unit (most of us do) in order to provide the temp drops that Jackson’s need to survive. Mine was $350 on sale on Amazon. Maybe with the fall coming you can find an even better deal than me. Without the nighttime temp drops it will drastically shorten his lifespan. My boy is in a room all to his own so he doesn’t freeze any of us out at night. Is moving his enclosure to another space in your house an option?

Thanks for the response!

I’m thinking of moving him to the master bedroom and getting a portable AC. The swamp cooler helped bring temps down from 71 to 66 but that’s still not enough of a drop and he’s easily awake at night. I also have to have the enclosure doors open so it hits him head-on to get that amount of drop and that lowers the humidity a lot as the fogger is basically moot then.

We live in a loft and while the AC works fairly well (though the electric company can remotely control our thermostat with Nest and that is super annoying since I have to correct it 3-4x daily or they’ll put it at 80), it doesn’t seem to push those night temps I need for him unless we bring it down to like 60 because the space is big. I can’t do that because it blasts in my son’s room and he’s already a little guy who freezes easily. He uses a space heater at night even with it being 72 ambient average :(

I should probably make another post with the care sheet and setup for the Jackson’s to get some better info over for advice. Do you know of any portable AC that doesn’t require window access?

You can make a new post but I think if you keep asking your questions about your Jackson's on here then it may be more helpful because others can read this info as well and be able to offer assistance.

I would try and move him into the master to see if that helps, it sounds like that will help your son sleep more comfortably as well.

I personally have this AC unit myself, it does blow out hot air out the back so it should be hooked to some window to move that hot air out of the house. https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER...1697051966&sprefix=portable+ac,aps,150&sr=8-3

I would just look around and see what else is available. I'll look around too and see if I find anything that may be helpful for you.

This is the care sheet I use for my Jackson's

Below is the husbandry review if you want to fill this out:
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

I have a window unit and a portable unit. But the portable still has to vent out a window. There is something called mini split units... But they are pricey and far more than I could afford. These do not vent they attach to a wall. Not sure exactly how they have to be installed though. I did not look into it further than the price tag lol

Thank you so much for all of the feedback from everyone! I was able to bring the nightly temperature down to 62 (10 degree drop) with the swamp cooler until I get a proper AC in for him. I have a new Zen habitat coming tomorrow that I will rig to be close to a portable AC to make sure he gets what he needs. Can’t hurt to have an extra AC anyway!

Thank you so much for all of the feedback from everyone! I was able to bring the nightly temperature down to 62 (10 degree drop) with the swamp cooler until I get a proper AC in for him. I have a new Zen habitat coming tomorrow that I will rig to be close to a portable AC to make sure he gets what he needs. Can’t hurt to have an extra AC anyway!
Just do not have the air conditioner blowing directly in the cage. You want to cool the ambient levels of the area to drop the cage temps.

Back
Top Bottom