Need Suggestions for Post-Surgery Enclosure

KayCamp

Just got back into town with my chameleon. I had to take her for surgery to remove her eggs, and she was spayed. The veterinarian wants me to keep her in an enclosure that is only as tall as she is long, for one week. In case she is unsteady from the anesthesia, she does not want her to fall more than her body length. I hope this makes sense. From head to the back feet, she is about eight inches long.

I thought her first screened cage would work; however, now that I am home I realize it is too tall. Does anyone have suggestions? I drove eight hours there and back, and I am pooped. It is too late to go out and buy anything. I need to figure out how to still be able to use her lights and humidifier. I could use the small cage if I could put something on the floor that was several inches tall, to raise the bottom. Would there be anything wrong with stacking newspapers and covering it with a towel, to create a taller floor? I thought if I put the small cage inside her emptied out big cage, the misting system and lighting and humidifier could all still be used as is.

Help please. :eek: Thank you in advance.

Hmmm...you could possibly tie a towel to the corners of your cage and use it as a net to catch her, if she were to fall. Be sure to have some vines or branches close enough to where she'll be able to climb back up. Just a suggestion :)

Hmmm...you could possibly tie a towel to the corners of your cage and use it as a net to catch her, if she were to fall. Be sure to have some vines or branches close enough to where she'll be able to climb back up. Just a suggestion :)

I just thought about making some type of netting in her normal cage, and only allowing her access to the top part. Kind of like the net under a trapeze at the circus. :) I am trying to figure out how I'd attach the corners.

I just thought about making some type of netting in her normal cage, and only allowing her access to the top part. Kind of like the net under a trapeze at the circus. :) I am trying to figure out how I'd attach the corners.

Attach with zip ties, safety pins or clips you get at the dollar store. I like your idea. Instead of netting, i would use a piece of fabric or a towel. Her feet could get caught in the netting.

For the temporary you could use a glass aquarium because then she can't climb the walls. I used my cricket container (diy converted Tupperware) for a hospice cage with similar intent and it worked well.

Do you have a cage that you can turn on it's side, so that it's not very tall? Also, the tied up towel suggestions should work well. Just make sure if you do turn the cage on it's side that you adjust your lighting so that it's not too hot for her. Good luck!

Do you have a cage that you can turn on it's side, so that it's not very tall? Also, the tied up towel suggestions should work well. Just make sure if you do turn the cage on it's side that you adjust your lighting so that it's not too hot for her. Good luck!

I could not find a way to secure the towels to the corners of the cage. I finally just set her beginner cage back up, and then put about four inches of balled up t-shirts at the bottom. She cannot really fall at all.

And of course, after taking all of these precautions, she is not unstable at all. She seems like her old self, and just has not missed a beat. :)

My last few surgeries have been fine to crawl around once they recover too. :) If still good tomorrow I'd return her to her normal cage to reduce stress. But I would put a folded towel at the bottom just in case she does fall while she's adjusting.

My last few surgeries have been fine to crawl around once they recover too. :) If still good tomorrow I'd return her to her normal cage to reduce stress. But I would put a folded towel at the bottom just in case she does fall while she's adjusting.

Thank you, I will do this. She is not happy in that small cage at all! I have her big cage full of live plants and set up in a way so that if she were to fall, the vines will catch her. But I will pad the bottom with towels as well. She will be so happy to return to her big cage! :)

Interesting....
A female can actually be spayed?!?!?!
I would imagine this is very stressful on the cham. Is this an expensive procedure?

I had my female in for te same surgery cost me 1600$ she did very well I took her and put her in a glass enclosure and replaced the doors with screen. I know glass is not right but for her it was great because she was not to be more than 6" off the bottom. She healed up very well I handfed her for over a month and issued wated via siringe because she was dehydrated befor the binding and her eyes were stuck closed. She recovered very well but there were complications down the road she was supposed to be spayed but 8 months later she laid a clutch of 43 eggs on the floor as there was no lay bin because I was assured the surgery was done well. She has now passed on I was issuing water and food Italy for few weeks after the laying but she just could not hold on I can't stress enough even tho the vet says they spayed her I strongly advise keeping a lay bin mine cared less about having the bin but ya know how it goes make things as best for them as you can

Mine stayed in the glass cage for two weeks do not allow her to clu high as the pain medication makes tem very loopy I don't know how you vet told you dosage but what mine told me was not even enought for the plunger of the syringe to push out so I had to add a bit more (the dosage would only fill the tip not allow for any to actually be givin to the Cham) do trial runs with water in ur syringe with you dosage to be sure

Interesting....
A female can actually be spayed?!?!?!
I would imagine this is very stressful on the cham. Is this an expensive procedure?

When the eggs were removed, the doctor also removed her ovaries so we would not have this same issue in the future. The surgery was $700; however, I also paid $140 for an office visit and x-ray.

Lighting concerns

I like the idea of the cage on the side wit towels on the bottom.
With limiting the height, you have to be careful the lights/ Heat are not too hot (as she will not be able to get away as readily).
Make sure there is an area she can get away from it.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom