Need ID help. Found rogue critter

pmdaggett79

So I was rearranging the back of my dining room tonight and literally found 4 superworms and 2 crickets just chilling like it was their house, not mine. But then, I lifted up the floor lamp and found this creature from the dark. Kind of reminds me of some strange and dangerous sea creature that won’t hesitate to eat you.

Anyway I thought it was dead but it seems to be in metamorphosis because even though it doesn’t move it will react to tweezers. The topside of its body looks like caterpillar legs and the underside is either eggs or legs or tentacles lol. Never seen this before but it looks half superworm half cricket. No logical explanation but they were just camping out on my dining room floor so maybe it’s possible but unlikely.
FF735E52-FD7D-4BAE-9C5C-DB62FE9ECFED.jpeg

Yup. Not in my house! My wife doesn’t even like crickets. She almost dry heaved when I showed her this thing. I remember a few years ago I bought some superworms from the local store and they were full of beetles and no worms. My beardie are some but I couldn’t stand the stench. They smelled acidic and putrid. Thanks for the help guys.

I am wondering though how an animal can starve to death and turn into something else. Doesn’t follow the circle of life

Yup. Not in my house! My wife doesn’t even like crickets. She almost dry heaved when I showed her this thing. I remember a few years ago I bought some superworms from the local store and they were full of beetles and no worms. My beardie are some but I couldn’t stand the stench. They smelled acidic and putrid. Thanks for the help guys.

I am wondering though how an animal can starve to death and turn into something else. Doesn’t follow the circle of life

They don’t really starve to death. It’s more like they get super stressed out with no food and there like screw it it’s the next guys problem lol.

They actually store a bunch of “food” in their fat, and then curl up into a little ball and don’t move(burning very little energy). They are sort of hibernating like a bear would in winter when they are entering the metamorphosis stage. As they are transforming they aren’t starving because they are feeding off themselves.

Also, this whole process takes about a month of being undistirbed... so clean ya damn house ya filthy animal!

Lol just kidding.

They actually store a bunch of “food” in their fat, and then curl up into a little ball and don’t move(burning very little energy). They are sort of hibernating like a bear would in winter when they are entering the metamorphosis stage. As they are transforming they aren’t starving because they are feeding off themselves.

Also, this whole process takes about a month of being undistirbed... so clean ya damn house ya filthy animal!

Lol just kidding.
Lmfao that’s the wife’s job! A mans got to work lol. One thing is for sure, this process in the superworms life cycle ain’t got nothing on some other insect species. There’s a few I’ve read about that are downright dark and twisted. You could make a horror flick off of insects that do strange and weird things. But hey, who am I to judge anyway? Let the creator be the one to admit that He sometimes has a strange way of doing things lol

Your chameleon runs? First I’d like to see that and second that would be an awesome idea to have Cham racing. Right after the frog jumping contest
man chams running is the funniest thing, my cham saw a new container of hornworms and ran straight b line from the free range to me lmao, it was the funniest thing especially since chams arent the more coordinated animals lol

man chams running is the funniest thing, my cham saw a new container of hornworms and ran straight b line from the free range to me lmao, it was the funniest thing especially since chams arent the more coordinated animals lol
Please someone ! You MUST video this of them "running" I have to see that for myself. Cannot imagine how entertaining that is.

Please someone ! You MUST video this of them "running" I have to see that for myself. Cannot imagine how entertaining that is.
my chameleon also grabs the feeding tongs to bring worms closer so he can just grab them, he's a character

Lol just kidding.
Beetles have complete metamorphosis. During the pupal stage, larval tissues break down and give rise to adult tissues. The new tissues are formed around imaginal bodies that were present in the larvae. In contrast, crickets have incomplete metamorphosis, that is, the nymphs resemble the adults, but the wings are not completely developed , and they are not ready to lay eggs.

Kinda like me I bet

Back
Top Bottom