need help????

Lorelye R

I am very new to keeping Chams and have recently aquired a female veiled. I have her in a 24x24x40 screen enclosure with uvb and uva bulbs. Her basking spot is 82 and cool side is at 70. when I first got her she looked a little plump and I was told she was 7 months old... within a couple days she was walking on the bottom of her enclosure. I went out and got an opaque container and filled it with playsand with peat moss mixed in - 12 inches deep. It is moist enough that I can dig in it and it stays without closing in. I have put a heat source under the enclosure so the sand isn't cold. I have covered 3 of the 4 sides to give her privacy.... She seemed really anxious yesterday and was constantly up and down to the container. Today she seems calmer, basking in the sun (it was rainy the past 2 days) now that it has clouded over she is hovering near the bottom of her enclosure close to the container. She is not eating as much as she should be. I think she has done a test hole... I just don't want her to become eggbound... Did I miss anything>????? any advice would be great.

Thank you sooooo much... Now maybe I can relax.... How long should I wait for her to lay the eggs??? I just don't want to wait out of inexperience and not get her to my vet in time.....

My female just laid at the weekend and it was her first clutch. She was restless and started digging around a bit in her bin at teatime on Wednesday. She dug a bit on Thursday and Friday, but really got down to business on Saturday morning. Sometimes they won't eat for anything up to 10 days before laying, but Amy ate a silkworm for breakfast and laid the same day! Amy has had a laying bin in her cage since she was 6 months old (she is now 21 months) and never really paid it much attention until Wednesday. Igf they know where it is they will get on and use it.

As already said, give her some privacy - I covered the front of Amy's viv with some offcuts of wood leaving a tiny gap to peek through for my own peace of mind. Good luck! She'll do it when the time is right! Amy showed no signs (apart from weight gain) that she was going to lay until Wednesday.

It should go like this...
They may dig a couple of holes but should finally pick one and dig it until they are satisfied with it. It may take a couple of days or it may all be done in one day. Once the hole is dug to her satisfaction (usually in the evening) she should turn around bum down and lay the eggs. This can take a couple of hours or more sometimes. Once they are laid, she should fill in the hole, tamp the area down and return to the branches. She should be fed and watered well.

If things do not go this way...if she sits low in the cage, becomes lethargic, doesn't drink or eat, shuts her eyes, etc. then its time to start worrying.

Laurie...thanks for the compliment!

lol sorry.... I am happy to say she used a test hole I had dug. I came home around 1p.m. and she was sitting up on a branch with dirt all over her head. I left again around 1:30 and she was headed back into hole digging with her butt out. I came home again and there is no sign of her- that was at 3.... It is now 10 and she still hasn't come out- should I be concerned??? Should I check on her???

the sand on top still looks the same.... I will wait.... I feel like an anxious parent, now I know how my hubby felt when I was in labour - helpless, excited , and very nervous!!!! lol:)

the sand on top still looks the same.... I will wait.... I feel like an anxious parent, now I know how my hubby felt when I was in labour - helpless, excited , and very nervous!!!! lol:)

That is exactly how I felt on Saturday! When my first cham laid her second clutch I was so on edge I ended up pacing the floor like an expectant Dad, lol! I guess it must be just the same!

Eggs are here!!!

I am soooo relieved, Lola has layed 53 eggs and is resting under her heat lamp. I gave her a warm shower to get the sand off of her. She was really weak when she was done covering her tunnel. She hasn't eaten but has drank some- I am just going to let her rest for a bit.... I am going to go get her some "treats", any ideas what she would love after all her hard work???? I was thinking of giving her some silkworms (if I can find them)... Thank you again to everyone who offered advice, you kept me sane!!!!!!:D

Yay! Well done Lola! That is a good amount too, my little fatty laid 81! The feeling of relief is immense, isn't it?! Feed her up and give her extra calcium for a few days. I will say that is never gets any easier! I was far more anxious when my first cham laid her second clutch as I knew what to expect and was more aware of what could go wrong. As I said before, Amy just laid her first clutch at 23 months old, so I was really anxious being her first time! The instinct just takes over and they know exactly what to do!

Back
Top Bottom