Need help a.s.a.p!!

adams86

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon...6-8 month old maled veiled chameleon.He has been in my care for 3 months.
Handling - I handle him everyday..I open his cage & he comes out to me
Feeding - He eats large crickets everyday..sometimes lettuce or worms
Supplements - He takes multivitamin 2 times a month..d3 calcium once a month..calcium with no d3 times a month..the crickets we purchuse already come dusted for daily dusts.
Watering -I put a water drip for him a few times a day..I saw him drink yesterday..he also has a mister that stayls low all day except for over night.
Fecal Description -His poops were looking normal till today..it was just a green bubble type..with a really dark spot on top.
History -All I know is that he came from Flordia orederd by a pet store here in my town where i got him from.(san antonio texas area)

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen mesh stands about 5 feet tall,2 feet wide
Lighting - uvb is a 5.0
Temperature - The temps stays about a 78-80...a heat bulb
Humidity his mister is set in the middle of the cage so the bottom stays cooler & moister..about 80
Placement -His cage is in my room..its on top of a dressar so it dosent sit on the floor..i have artificial plants
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - I noticed 2 days ago that he wasnt as active as usual...I usually open his cage and he comes to me..he hasnt eaten,...i did see him drink yesterday..i cleaned his cage out last night and let him have a steam bath...today he seems worse..his eyes stay closed till i talk to him or tap the cage..i have seen him move from branch to branch...his eyes seem sunken in..i feel as though he might not make it much longer:(...

I'm really sorry he is not feeling good. I don't know what might be wrong, but I think your tepms are too low. How are you measuring them?

I've planned it! But I don't know hOw much longer he will last! Vet is located 45 miles from where I'm at, which driving the distance is not a problem I luv this Cham I'll do it! I just have to wait till I get paid and not until wed don't think he can last that long'... Unles someone has a suggestion for me tO do for him to make it through....anything at this point will help out!!

You're going to want to bring a fecal. I would suggest cleaning out the bottom of the cage and then collect the next poop you see. Put it in plastic in the fridge (huge warning labels for rest of household). If you see fresher poop later, toss the old, collect the new.....that way you'll have the freshest poop but, just in case he doesn't poop Wednesday morning, you will have some in storage.

Your basking temperature should be in the mid to high 80s. As he's feeling poorly, you might even want to take it up to 90.

You say "heat bulb". You can use a regular household incandescent bulb for basking. Do not use a red bulb (many heat bulbs are red). Also, do not use the bulb at night. At night you want to bring his ambient temperatures down to the low 70s, high 60s. He could easily tolerate it dropping into the mid 50s.

It's important to give him that cool down at night. He also needs it to be dark at night.

I strongly recommend bringing his basking temperature up and making sure he has a cool/dark night. That's not going to replace going to the vet, but it will probably make him feel better.

Get him to a vet

I would tend to agree with this statement...and asap is best, as you obviously know. Is it possible you could contact the vet and work out an arrangement to pay for their services after payday...I would think some sort of arrangement could be made because after all, a vet is in business first and foremost for helping and saving animals! Just a thought...good luck with your guy, I hope he pulls through whatever is ailing him!

Back
Top Bottom