Need for another Heat Light?!

Cberbs90

Ive noticed my panther (Ambanja X Ambilobe Furcifer Pardalis) is spending ALOT of time in the basking area... its buffalo NY's rainy season and the beginning of some colder temps here as well. Im wondering if the addition of a heat bulb that puts out no light over the entire cage itself is warranted. Humidity right now is a non issue, its always 80% or higher, and he is eating fine and pooping fine as well i just think it still maybe to cold. My apartment is at 70 degrees although he is in the sun room in front which is a tad cooler.

Temps are measured in Fahrenheit with a professional Taylor spot thermometer

Arid temp : 67.5(which seems low)
Middle temp: 73-74
Basking spot: right around 100 ( i actually just raised it 2 inches to get it back down to 95-98)

if there is a better format for this question please let me know:

Attachments

• IMG_20181002_150345.jpg
    IMG_20181002_150345.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20181002_150353.jpg
    IMG_20181002_150353.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 54
The ambient temperature is too low, did you read the panther chameleon caresheet here on the forums?

Of course i did! thats why i am asking for some advise to raise the temps. The humidity is just natural to buffalo itself atm with all this rain! And i raised up the bulb so that temp on the basking spot would go down a little as well.

Those temperatures are a range and not an absolute. I don't think 70 degrees is anything to be worried about even at all

Could you move the chameleon enclosure inside your apartment to raise up the ambient temperature?

Could you move the chameleon enclosure inside your apartment to raise up the ambient temperature?

it will be the move once it gets much colder. to move the whole enclosure for a degree or 2 of difference seems a little much at the moment ( i have been weighing that option myself)

it will be the move once it gets much colder. to move the whole enclosure for a degree or 2 of difference seems a little much at the moment ( i have been weighing that option myself)
That’s fine, just wanted to know if you were able to, especially for winter. As far as the ambient temp, I wouldn’t worry too much about the ambient being 67, just keep an eye on your cham. As for the basking reaching 98, I’m guessing that’s the reading off of his basking branch, and if you add a couple inches (the height of your cham), it could get dangerously hot

It really isn't a problem. I appreciate your adherence to the care sheet, but this is just not a pressing concern.

Look at it this way: the basking spot is 95-98. The ambient temperature is 70. That means that there is a temperature gradient ranging from 98 at the basking spot to, as you get further away from that, 70 degrees. But there isn't going to be a sudden drop off to 70 right outside the basking spot. That's not how temperature works. The temps will in reality decrease bit by bit as you move away from the basking spot, ultimately ending up at 70. Therefore, there is a range of temperatures your chameleon can move through, the lowest of which is 70, which is exactly what you want. It's all about gradients

That’s fine, just wanted to know if you were able to, especially for winter. As far as the ambient temp, I wouldn’t worry too much about the ambient being 67, just keep an eye on your cham. As for the basking reaching 98, I’m guessing that’s the reading off of his basking branch, and if you add a couple inches (the height of your cham), it could get dangerously hot

thanks and yes absolutely, i moved it up a bit and ill keep an eye on that spot (his main basking branch) and keep adjusting as need be.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom