NEED ADVICE ASAP!!

Mercedes

HELP PLEASE!! DYING CHAMELEON :( I live in Hawaii and while on a walk I came across a Jackson chameleon who was pretty unresponsive. I left it and came back several hours later and it’s condition had worsened. So I brought it home in attempt to nurse it back to health. It’s paper thin, hasn’t opened its eyes once (we’re on day 4) it’s very weak, can barely open its mouth or lift its head. Very very shallow breathing and only visibly breathes every once in a while. It’s been fluctuating between a dark brown color and a light color with dark spots. I have absolutely no idea how to care for these. I tried finding reptile rehabilitation centers no luck, they are also an invasive species so I’m not sure anyone would help anyways. I’ve been misting it with warm water a few times a day to try to hydrate it through the skin. I’ve also been putting small drops of water on a paint brush and into its mouth the few seconds it opens. For food because it’s so helpless and can barely swallow and I’m not sure if it’s body is strong enough to digest insects, I’ve been putting the tiniest of tiniest pulps from a tangerine followed by water to wash it down. The inside of its mouth is dark and purple and blue, reminds me of rigomortis :( so I’m not sure what to do from here.

Attachments

• 257413D6-90D8-456E-90A3-AB99F92DEBBB.jpeg
    257413D6-90D8-456E-90A3-AB99F92DEBBB.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 115
  • E5D4A770-8096-4116-B11A-B1BBBE470A61.jpeg
    E5D4A770-8096-4116-B11A-B1BBBE470A61.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 5BB9C05B-F3C6-4B0F-A53A-CA8F2894C9B8.jpeg
    5BB9C05B-F3C6-4B0F-A53A-CA8F2894C9B8.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 9C4BD848-7C62-4FAF-ADC0-523B11E5965A.jpeg
    9C4BD848-7C62-4FAF-ADC0-523B11E5965A.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 107
Looks like the poor thing is dying. Could have parasites or any number of things since it’s wild.
Unfortunately trying to force water and feed can be very dangerous as their airway is in the front of their mouth. And they don’t eat fruit.
From what your saying I doubt it will make it until tomorrow. Very sweet of you to try to save it though.

@JacksJill do you think anything would help?

I know they eat bugs but the poor guy can’t even really open its mouth :( I’m very careful when feeding/giving it water. I make sure pulp goes down in fear that it could block the airway passage. I also put a few drops of water to help wash it down. And I always wipe the water off it’s little nostrils. I can’t tell if it’s getting better or not. It’s moving more than it was when I brought it home. I’ve had her four days!! It’s too hard to give up.

I know they eat bugs but the poor guy can’t even really open its mouth :( I’m very careful when feeding/giving it water. I make sure pulp goes down in fear that it could block the airway passage. I also put a few drops of water to help wash it down. And I always wipe the water off it’s little nostrils. I can’t tell if it’s getting better or not. It’s moving more than it was when I brought it home. I’ve had her four days!! It’s too hard to give up.
I understand but they do not digest fruits and citrus may be especially difficult on it.

Try some carnivore care, and make sure it goes back very far because like @Beman has said, the airway is in the front of the mouth and it is so very easy to accidentally drip some water into there.

I know it is very hard to give up, but this little baby does not look like it has any life left in it, so try to prepare yourself for the worst.

Do you have any vets where you are? I'm not sure you can do much for this guy without one, like Beamn said, there could be parasites etc. Wrong with him that you cannot fix.

Try some carnivore care, and make sure it goes back very far because like @Beman has said, the airway is in the front of the mouth and it is so very easy to accidentally drip some water into there.

I know it is very hard to give up, but this little baby does not look like it has any life left in it, so try to prepare yourself for the worst.
I see the carnivore care but they don’t have it in stores. I’m already on day four with this guy. Will this work? Also are the airways the nostrils or is there something INSIDE the mouth? I’ve been using a tiny paint brush with tiny drops and since I have a hard time opening it’s mouth I run the brush along the side of the mouth with water and make sure to wipe the nostrils dry immediately after

Attachments

• B02370E4-7B66-43B9-8555-E7342695C886.png
    B02370E4-7B66-43B9-8555-E7342695C886.png
    306.7 KB · Views: 81
Do you guys have any advice on how to get her mouth open? She slightly opens it like once or twice when I move her around but I know I’m stressing her by doing that. I try with a soft paint brush but that also is hard.

You can try to give it this....but you need to be very careful that it doesn't aspirate it into its lungs...put in very very little at one time...
https://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html

It's urates look very orange in the photo...assuming that that is what is in the photo...so it's dehydrated. Again....you have to be very very careful if you give it water. It needs to be "conscious"/aware enough when you do it to be able to swallow it and you need to make sure it doesn't aspirate it.

Do you know if you're in an area where they spray to get rid of chameleons? Or if they still even do that?

Hard to know if you can even save it.

I'm sorry I don't have much hope for this little one. Reptiboost will be fine to start with but if she does pull through a powdered cricket meal that the body builders use will work better. Get one on amazon with no additives or flavors.

I *think* that is orange pulp. 🤷‍♀️
I think you're right.

@Mercedes said..."I’ve been misting it with warm water a few times a day to try to hydrate it through the skin"...don't use warm water and it won't rehydrate through the skin to the beat of my knowledge.

You said..."Do you guys have any advice on how to get her mouth open?"... It's better if you don't have to force it open.

Don't be upset if you lose it...it's very likely that it's dying....at least you're trying to help it.

I think you're right.

@Mercedes said..."I’ve been misting it with warm water a few times a day to try to hydrate it through the skin"...don't use warm water and it won't rehydrate through the skin to the beat of my knowledge.

You said..."Do you guys have any advice on how to get her mouth open?"... It's better if you don't have to force it open.

Don't be upset if you lose it...it's very likely that it's dying....at least you're trying to help it.
It can barely open its mouth unfortunately :( I got the repti boost tonight, gonna try and feed it. I know it’s most likely not gonna make it. It’s a wild one I found at the park. But she’s worth a try. I’ve had her four days amd she’s still fighting. I don’t know how long it takes them to die but I guess we will find out unfortunately.

I'm sorry I don't have much hope for this little one. Reptiboost will be fine to start with but if she does pull through a powdered cricket meal that the body builders use will work better. Get one on amazon with no additives or
It can barely open its mouth unfortunately :( I got the repti boost tonight, gonna try and feed it. I know it’s most likely not gonna make it. It’s a wild one I found at the park. But she’s worth a try. I’ve had her four days amd she’s still fighting. I don’t know how long it takes them to die but I guess we will find out unfortunately.
You can try to give it this....but you need to be very careful that it doesn't aspirate it into its lungs...put in very very little at one time...
https://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html

It's urates look very orange in the photo...assuming that that is what is in the photo...so it's dehydrated. Again....you have to be very very careful if you give it water. It needs to be "conscious"/aware enough when you do it to be able to swallow it and you need to make sure it doesn't aspirate it.

Do you know if you're in an area where they spray to get rid of chameleons? Or if they still even do that?

Hard to know if you can even save it.
UPDATE: I got the repti boost and she was able to open her mouth both times. I made sure to put it in the back of her throat. Although her mouth doesn’t look too good, looks like she’s been dead for days, but who knows maybe her luck will turn around 🤷🏽‍♀️

Attachments

• 82EB70BC-BA3D-4C2D-A3C2-A2C7392BAC51.jpeg
    82EB70BC-BA3D-4C2D-A3C2-A2C7392BAC51.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 90
UPDATE: I got the repti boost and she was able to open her mouth both times. I made sure to put it in the back of her throat. Although her mouth doesn’t look too good, looks like she’s been dead for days, but who knows maybe her luck will turn around 🤷🏽‍♀️

Attachments

• 0DE64370-354B-475D-A58A-BE03F3259847.jpeg
    0DE64370-354B-475D-A58A-BE03F3259847.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 83

Attachments

• 2ABEA5BE-B308-4E2F-9209-7634F982DE35.jpeg
    2ABEA5BE-B308-4E2F-9209-7634F982DE35.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom