My veiled chameleon hissed at me today... :"(

Tetsuo

My 7 week old Kaida (female veiled) hissed at me and turned dark today when I went to mist her cage. I noticed that she was at the bottom of the cage so I went to pick her up and put her on a branch and when I picked her up she hissed at me a few times but she kept her eyes closed as well... :( Then I tried to put her back in her cage but she wouldn't get off my finger and get onto the branch. :eek:

My 5 month old yemen hisses and lunges at me everytime I go near him but he has never bitten me but it's quite funny when you get used to it and when he's out he don't like to go back in either.

Please fill this "How to ask for help" form. It will help all the forum members figure out whats wrong with her.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

At 7 weeks old, she's not going to lay just yet... Tell us about your lighting, feeding, substrate, and enclosure, please?

Okay well Cami I am currently using a 13 watt 5.0 repti-glo bulb, I am feeding her fruit flies, I am not using a substrate since then can get an impacted stomach if they eat it so I just laid down paper towels, and I'm using a 12" by 12" exo-terra.

Alrighty, how warm is the basking spot? How cool does the bottom of the enclosure get? a 12 inch by 12 inch cage is very small for a veiled cham, you might want to see about an upgrade soon (but maybe you have one planned already?). Do you have a picture you could upload of the enclosure? That might help! :)

Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, female. About five days
Handling - first day I handled her a bit and same with the second day but I havent messed with her since.
Feeding - Fruit flies. An estimated 6-10 dusted fruit flies. I feed her at 6:30. I honestly don't know what they are eating I bought the culture at the KC reptile show.
Supplements - So far I've only used repti calcium. I dust the flies everyday (it doesn't have D3 in it) and today I bought fluker's calcium with D3 and once on the 15 and once on the 30.
Watering - I just mist down the cage. Two or three times a day and probably about a minute or two. I haven't seen her drink yet...
Fecal Description -I cleaned her cage a bit today but I'll say what it is tomorrow if she poos. I'm not sure.
History - I bought her from a breeder so I don't know a lot.
Cage Info: The cage is an exo-terra and it is 12" by 12" with a screen top.
Cage Type - Glass and screen combo and it's a 12" by 12" cube.
Lighting - 13 watt 5.0 repti-glo bulb and I turn the lights on at 6:30 A.M and turn them off at 9:00 P.M
Temperature - The temperature by the bulb is about 80 and the lower area is about 75. Probably around 60-65. I'm using a Zoo Med thermometer strip.
Humidity - 60-75% sometimes 80%. By misting and I have a little bucket with screen over it that catches water from my dripper. A ex-terra hygrometer
Plants - No.
Placement - In my room beside my bed. She is not by a fan or air vent but is next to my window since it's summer. Around two to three feet.
Location - I live in the U.S in Kansas.

I'm actually building one right now out of screen. :D But she is only about 1 1/2 inches. I'll upload a couple pictures I took two days ago. The pictures also show a bit of her cage.

If I already posted these pictures in another thread will that stop me from reposting them. Because it seems to not be letting me upload them. :eek:

I'll take more of her tomorrow when she is awake. :) Right now I put her to bed so it's best if I just let my little one sleep. :D

You can use the pictures again.

Open a new tab or window, go to your USER CP. On the left menu, find "Miscellaneous" Click "Attachments". That will open a window with a list of the attachments you've used. Click on the one you want to use (hopefully you named them something obvious, if not, just keep clicking until you find the one you want). It will open. Copy the URL and insert it into your post. You can use the little icon that looks like a moon over mountains, or just type [ i m g ] paste url here [ / i m g ] (without the spaces).

Here's a picture, something I originally uploaded a year or so ago, of a chameleon I crocheted.
26466d1281847340-crocheted-chameleon-crochetchameleon.jpg

Also this is the first time I found her at the bottom of the cage so she may have just fallen off a branch or something? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom