My new DIY screen enclosure

MD19

Hey guys. So after hours of research (and a definite thanks to jdog1027 for his video tutorials), I made my first attempt at a custom screen cage. Originally I was going to use it for my chameleon but my mountain horned dragons were really in need of more space so I moved them and will start on another for her in the next couple of days, probably a little bit smaller however due to her smaller size. All in all I was able to finish this within two days, including many breaks both long and short in between. This appears to be ample space for the MHD's, however I am considering building a wider enclosure for them for the sake of having a large pool of water down low, in which case my senegal will be moving in.

Phew. Well, with all of that said...What do you think?

9.5 out of 10. Deducted .5 because that handle is too wide for the frame. :D

Haha, was wondering if anyone would notice :D...It was the smallest I could find at my Home Depot and by the time I was ready to attach it I just went with it since I could always swap it out later. It actually fits perfectly against the outer side of the frame though so it acts as an extra door stopper for the cage.

Who cares what it looks like!!! lol. Its practical and good for your chameleon. I give you 10 out of 10, it looks good to me and will do the job nicely. I watched the same tutorial but dont know where to find the equipment needed here in Germany so got my own design im gonna work on. Well done, good job!:D

Nice!!!! I like the wide door handle that acts as a door stop-good idea. Looks great man. Nothing like the gratification of 'Doing-It-Yourself'!!!! Glad my videos helped.

Pretty nice, now let's see some pics w it set up for the dragons (w pics of the dragons too)! And a link to these videos please.

Pretty nice, now let's see some pics w it set up for the dragons (w pics of the dragons too)! And a link to these videos please.

Here is the link to my 1/4 video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnNl5IMXFCI

looks legit!
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it all end up costing?

If you don't have all of the items in the first video like the tools, drill bits, miter box etc., it could be a little expensive. IF you have all the tool items, the actual cage materials list is anywhere from $75-85. Depending on what length of screen you buy (I use 36"x25') you'll have enough screen to make 3 cages from this roll. So if you have several chameleons and need to build several cages, youl'll need 3 times the amount of screen frames, spline, screws, hinges, and handles. So after costs, it averages out to be about $160 worth of materials for enough to make 3 cages. This will average out to be about $50-53 per 36"x18"x18" cage. It makes more sense in the long run to build these for people who have several chameleons. Most of these cages premade are anywhere from $50 up to over $80, and then you usually have a hefty shipping charge. If you are just going to be building 1 cage, plan on spending at least $75. Plus, when you build your own, you have control over making additions or changes during the building process that work with your strategies for caging, like drainage and misting systems, lighting placement and shelving for example. In most cases it is more practical for a single pet owner to just buy a cage from a supplier.

Here is the link to my 1/4 video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnNl5IMXFCI

If you don't have all of the items in the first video like the tools, drill bits, miter box etc., it could be a little expensive. IF you have all the tool items, the actual cage materials list is anywhere from $75-85. Depending on what length of screen you buy (I use 36"x25') you'll have enough screen to make 3 cages from this roll. So if you have several chameleons and need to build several cages, youl'll need 3 times the amount of screen frames, spline, screws, hinges, and handles. So after costs, it averages out to be about $160 worth of materials for enough to make 3 cages. This will average out to be about $50-53 per 36"x18"x18" cage. It makes more sense in the long run to build these for people who have several chameleons. Most of these cages premade are anywhere from $50 up to over $80, and then you usually have a hefty shipping charge. If you are just going to be building 1 cage, plan on spending at least $75. Plus, when you build your own, you have control over making additions or changes during the building process that work with your strategies for caging, like drainage and misting systems, lighting placement and shelving for example. In most cases it is more practical for a single pet owner to just buy a cage from a supplier.

Great info thanks Jdog!

Thanks everyone! I agree, doing it yourself does leave you feeling very satisfied after.

Getting on that now, trying to figure out what set up would work best for them since I want a tall live plant, but also a pool of water/place for the female to lay (I believe she's gravid, she's been quite lumpy as of late).

looks legit!
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it all end up costing?

It actually only cost me around $60-$80...And I can't figure out why? Not complaining here :D. A tip if you try it: When it comes time to spline the screen, go very slow and be very careful with the pressure you apply. I found that lining the end up toward the bottom, rolling and splining that in, moving across and then doing the two sides worked best for me. Also be very careful when you use your razor blade/exactoknife/etc to cut the excess off. It is very easy to do if you apply enough pressure but if you slip it is also very easy to make a huge gash in your hand. I always placed mine a few inches out of the way and if I didn't the few slip ups I had would have been significantly more notable.

Back
Top Bottom