DIY Aluminum 8020 Quick Frame Enclosure Build

@Sgt. Bilko ive read this thread multiple times for inspiration! How’s everything going with the chameleon and the enclosure? Thanks!
Thank you! The terrarium is up and running :)

We got our Kam this past September and he’s loving his home. He’s only explored 20% of space available.

I’m figuring out how to balance water/misting and plants together without killing them. My fortune tree has slowly died. To be replaced with a more water tolerant Schefflera Plant.

Here’s Kam getting his morning bath.

IMG_0623.jpeg

Thank you! The terrarium is up and running :)

We got our Kam this past September and he’s loving his home. He’s only explored 20% of space available.

I’m figuring out how to balance water/misting and plants together without killing them. My fortune tree has slowly died. To be replaced with a more water tolerant Schefflera Plant.

Here’s Kam getting his morning bath.

View attachment 348312
That’s great! I’m dealing with my money tree also slowly dropping leaves with moisture, I moved it under a pothos and it’s been getting a bunch of new sprouts recently! Beautiful chameleon!

He is beautiful. Money trees are picky. They do not like to be in direct spray path if their roots get too wet they die off. :(
Thank you! Yeah, learned the hard way. I’m going to get him another center plant, likely umbrella or monstera. I’ll be changing up my potting mix for more drainage.

Thank you! Yeah, learned the hard way. I’m going to get him another center plant, likely umbrella or monstera. I’ll be changing up my potting mix for more drainage.
I put in a layer of clay balls at the bottom of all my pots. About an inch of them. This has always improved my drainage quite a bit.

I did this as well! I went with black 1/4" pvc and love it. Some tips I learned was cut to length and then miter just the panel rail to fit, don't hammer any of the connections together until you're 100% sure They are correct. If you go to 8020's website you can find a local distributor for you instead of using McMaster (much cheaper) and you can get many different extrusion profiles.

My 1st one was a 4x4x2 and then downsized due to space to a 2x2x4.

I also added some venting at 12in from the bottom (as you can see) and my screen top is made from aluminum stucco lathe from the hardware store.

This allowed me larger mesh so more UVB would penatrate.
I love your design! Can you tell me what you attached the foam boards too and what Cham safe paint you used to paint it? Want to do something like this. Also what did you make for the plant pot holders?

I love your design! Can you tell me what you attached the foam boards too and what Cham safe paint you used to paint it? Want to do something like this. Also what did you make for the plant pot holders?
Hi Rasta, I'll let BryanP speak to his design. For mine, the boards were Home Depot Veranda PVC Panels. They slid into the 8020 channels directly. Once I assembled the enclosure, I sealed areas exposed to water with 100% silicone at the channel. I did not paint the panels, I bought natural cork tiles and fastened these tiles to the inside panels using the same silicone. The pot holders are aluminum bar (which I drilled) bolted through the panels to anther aluminum bar (outside the frame) with stainless steel bolts and spacer. It is a DIY Dragon Ledge.

I attached the foam boards with command strips straight to the PVC panels so they can be removed.

The pot holders where made with pots that I used the expanding foam to cover. Once the foam was cured I used a knife and cut the rounded edges to try to blend it better but in hindsight or if I was going to do it again I would cut and sculpt the foam panels since it won't look like a pile of turds with potted plants in it. Also the expanding foam seems to never stop expanding so there are not gaps in the paint and yellow foam exposed.

Also OVERSIZE you're built in pots. I made them for the standard $5 (now $10) small pots from lowes/home depot but they are just not large enough and end up sticking out. (As you can see with the pathos in the upper right.)

For the paint I used exterior water based "oops" paint from lowes that they had a grey tint already and then I did the highlights with water based acrylic craft paint.

Before paint I sculpted the panels with a blow torch and then roughed up those areas with sandpaper.

after it's all grown in it looks great but I see every defect there is. Here is a picture of it today.

1000006595.jpg

Back
Top Bottom