My Jackson Chameleon both eyes closed

r0ckm3l30n

Chameleon Info:

Chameleon - Jackson Xantholophus, Male, 11 months old and i only have him for just a month.
Handling - everyday i x'fered him from his inside terrarium to outside so he can get a real sun. Handled him for about 15 to 30minutes during weekend and sometimes we go to Petco together.
Feeding - I feed him small crickets dusted with reptivite and small mealworms which is dusted as well. I put about 5 small crickets everyday most of the times after work around 6pm.
Supplements - just calcium (reptivite)
Watering - i use spray which i do more often now as recommended by my vet. I also put a hubba mist and a little dripper on his cage. Now his eyes are shut i saw him drink once and thats it.
Fecal Description - everyday i see poop on the cage floor (black in color) I dont know if he is tested for parasites i bought him from CL.
History - NONE.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - It is a reptibreeze measurements are 16x16x20
Lighting - I have a UV light and it says 65W i guess... and the UV light is ON during the day and off at night, i do this manually. Also i have a 60W basking light (red color) and this is ON during the day and off at night around 10-11pm same as the UV.
Temperature - Temp on Basking light above is around 70-75deg and not quite sure what the temp is below the cage.
Humidity - I frequently misting it and as ive said i got the hubba mist and the little dripper, the humidity temp i think is ok.
Plants - I am using a real plant (ficus) which was use by the previous owner, some vines and stick.
Placement - this is located inside my music room where i closed the windows at night? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? about 3ft. the cage of my chameleon has a stand about 3ft long
Location - California

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about is both of his eyes are now shut/closed. Before it was just the left eye after 3 to 5 days they were both closed. I am desperately need some help I LOVE MY MIKE-L my JACKSON CHAMELEON!!!! PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

How long are you misting? Jackson's like long showers, especially in the morning. I spray/mist them for about 20 minutes in the morning and 5 - 10 minutes in the early afternoon. I also use a humidifier to help with humidity if needed.

He doesn't need his feeders dusted daily. once or twice a week with calcium and once a month with vitamins. I use an all-in-one and dust once a week. Good gutloading is important too.

Also the basking temp could be higher - 80 -85 with cooler spots (70-75) in the rest of the cage. You don't need a red light - a regular household bulb will be fine.

Thank you! Of course, I have more questions, it always works that way:

What brand and model of UV light? If you don't know, maybe it's written on the bulb? If not, maybe take a picture of the bulb.

How long is he outside every day? Approximately where in California are you? There's a big difference in climate between the northern realms and the southern realms.

What did he see the vet for and when?

How much are you misting him? My recommendation is to get a pump up garden sprayer so you can easily spray him for a long time without tiring your hand out. Get the dripper going so it drips onto plant leaves and then mist until the cage is dripping wet. That's often what it takes to convince them it's okay to drink.

I'm concerned that he might be dehydrated. Your description of the fecal matter does not mention an attached white part. Is there an attached portion that looks white or creamy? It sometimes looks yellow or orange, that's a sure sign of dehydration.

Here's a picture of the type of sprayer I'm suggesting. You can usually get them anyplace with a good garden department.
31qK9wt5dNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Please be more specific on the brand of UV. Are you SURE it is a UV light? Is it a 5.0, 10.0, reptisun, reptiglo, Zilla...etc

ok so i just finish my lunch thank you very much to all who replied back. Here's my honest answer to the following:

Photoprincess: I misting him about every 4 hours most of the times when i go to work i mist him for 15sec and when i get back from work, i take him outside (out from his cage) to another live plant that requires 24hr sun which is Hibiscus i made a cylindrical cage which i got from another persons idea.

Now i agree with you with the temp which is also recommended by my Vet. The problem here is how would you maintain the temp with an open mesh cage? and at the same time maintaining its humidity i am so CONFUSED. Thank you for telling me about the dusting i didn't know it should be done 2x/week. What multi-vitamin would you recommend?

@ Elizadolots: i think its reptizilla, but anyway i work and earn money so please tell me which or what brand to get? what wattage it should be? base and should conform with the size of my cage indicated everything on the my chameleon info. Thanks!!!!

I am in Socal and its pretty hot out here now. Well, i took him to the Vet because every time i see him sluggish seating on one place for hours and his eyes closed i feel i am responsible for everything so i took him to the nearest Vet and the vet uses a buds and check on his eyes and told me that i need to jack up the basking to 80 to 85 and totally mist shower the entire cage. He said that my chameleon was dehydrated. So when i took him back home i totally sprinkled him with garden hose (set to mist of course) for a good 5 minutes but i dont see him open his mouth to drink. I normally use mineral water for him to drink, i can pick up one of your suggestion on sprayer later tonight at home depot. I really dont want to cry seeing him everyday like this.

@ Carol: I think its reptizilla and it says 65W on the bulb. Again please recommend anything please as long as it is based on the cage measurement and you know that that will work UVB and basking light tell me what SPECS should i use.

Thank you very much!!!!!

This board typically recommends the Repti Sun 5.0 long tube fluorescent. That's your UVB. You can pick up a fixture at WalMart or Home Depot for a few bucks. Then add a regular household incandescent for your heat bulb. You can try different wattages to get the right temps in your cage.

You'll find that the garden sprayer makes it possible for you to mist for 2 or 3 minutes at a time and that's really what you want to do a few times a day. That's in addition to having the dripper going.

The adventure of keeping temps and humidity along with ventilation can be very challenging. You're lucky because (like me) you're in a place where it's possible to get your chameleon outside almost every day of the year. There's very little that's better for them than natural sunlight. Do remember to provide a place where he can get into the shade when he wants to though.

@ Carol: I think its reptizilla and it says 65W on the bulb. Again please recommend anything please as long as it is based on the cage measurement and you know that that will work UVB and basking light tell me what SPECS should i use.

Thank you very much!!!!!

yes, but does it SAY UVB on it? It could be a Zilla but just a 65 watt basking bulb. Therfore it is not a uvb, but a uva. your chameleon needs both to survive. Take a picture of the bulb or read what it says and tell us EXACTLY.

just kinda skimmed through as i am on my phone but are you sure the reptive is only calcium, it is most commonly available as a multivitamin w/d3. Just want to be sure

just kinda skimmed through as i am on my phone but are you sure the reptive is only calcium, it is most commonly available as a multivitamin w/d3. Just want to be sure

Jacks really dont want to be over-supplemented. Seems quite possible this is at least a contributing factor, especially if insufficient water was available.

Zoo Med Reptivite
Guaranteed Analysis (minimum amounts)Vitamins: Per Lb. (454 gm)Vitamin A (Fish Liver Oil) 100,000 I.U.Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) 10,400 I.U.Vitamin E (dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate )100 I.U.Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) 1400.00 mg.Folic Acid 48.00 Mg.Vitamin B1 (Thiamine HCl )75.20 mg.Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 124.80 mg.Niacin 300.00 mg.Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCl) 30.40 mg.Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamine) 3040.00 mcg.Biotin 12,000.00 mcg.Pantothenic Acid (Dicalcium Pantothenate) 849.60 mg.Minerals and Electrolytes:Calcium (Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate)(21.2%) 96.00 gm.Phosphorus (Dicalcium Phosphate) (10.6%) 48.00 gm.Iodine (Kelp) (.0002%) 960.00 mcg.Iron (Ferrous Fumerate) (.045%) 200.00 mg.Magnesium (Oxide) (.26%) 1200.00 mg.Copper (Sulfate ) (.045%) 200.00 mg.Manganese (Carbonate) (.0077%) 35.20 mg.Sodium (Chloride) (1.63% )7400.00 mg.Zinc (Oxide) (.045%) 200.00 mg.Potassium (Chloride) (1.76% )8000.00 mg.Amino Acids: L-Glutamine 32.0 mg., L-Arginine 52.8 mg., Isoleucine 10.7 mg., Lysine 52.8 mg., L-Leucine 52.8 mg., L-Alanine 20.8 mg., L-Cystine 32.0 mg., L-Phenylalanine 10.7 mg., L-Serine 10.7 mg., L-Threonine 20.8 mg., L-Tryptophan 20.8 mg., L-Tyrosine 20.8 mg., L-Valine 20.8 mg., Glycine 42.7 mg., L-Methionine 20.8 mg., L-Aspartic Acid 52.8 mg., L-Glutamic Acid 148.8 mg., L-Histidine 10.7 mg.

INGREDIENTS: Dicalcium phosphate, Precipitated Calcium carbonate, Maltodextrins, Salt, Potassium chloride, Choline Bitartrate, Manganese Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, L-Arginine, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, a-Tocopherol Acetate, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, L-Threonine, L-Glutamine, L-Alanine, L-Glutamic acid, Calcium pantothenate, L-Phenylalanine, Dried Kelp, L-Tyrosine, Lecithin, Ferrous fumerate, L-Cystine, L-Histidine, Glycine, DL-Methionin, L-serine, L-Aspartic Acid, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Chames and any type of reptile need vitamin A for skin and eye health, he needs to be on a multivitamin, not just Vit C. He could also be harboring an oral infection that spread to the eyes, but makes sure like the other fellows have said to get the right light as well.

Chames and any type of reptile need vitamin A for skin and eye health, he needs to be on a multivitamin, not just Vit C. He could also be harboring an oral infection that spread to the eyes, but makes sure like the other fellows have said to get the right light as well

Folks thank you so much for your help and care Mike-L still alive his eyes are still shut off, I followed everything that you guys have told me. First i went to PETCO (ok i know they're kinda pricey but for my chameleon? SKIES THE LIMIT! i dont really care how much i spend) so here you go i bought a REPTISUN 5.0 UVB i still have the box. Next, i bought a sprayer and sprayed him for a good 5minutes and YEHEY! i saw him DRINK! and he drank a lot! ok so still eyes are closed. Next, i bought a substrate which i thought tat would somehow contribute to HUMIDITY and now my humidoty sits on 70-80deg. Every night i turned off the heatlamp (is this ok?) btw, i put the substrate to a pan (like oven pan) which measures to my cage and place the substrate their soaken on Mineral Water. Next i bought a small pedialite as one of you guys recommend giving some so i mixed it with mineral water and placed it on my dripper. I bought a dextose as well so i fully control the dripping of the water compare to the faucet type plastic of the little dripper. PLEASE GOD I WANT SOME MIRACLE! i really do appreciate all your help here, im so glad that i joined this group. THANKS AGAIN!!!!! I will keep you posted folks.

One more thing, is there any multivitamin that is water soluble? or liquid? any suggestion please let me know what type, brand, where can i get it. THANKS!!!

Your best best is to continue with long mistings ... you mentioned in an earlier response you were misting for 15 seconds - that is just about useless. As you saw when you misted for 5 minutes you saw him drinking. That is what it takes. I would even do longer, mine enjoy the shower even when they are done drinking.

Also you don't need to worry about keeping the temp in the entire cage at 80-85. Just a spot and the rest can be cooler. My Jackson's free range and most of their area is in the 70's, cooler at night (I am also in SoCal).

Would you recommend Reptifogger? the Humidity was up yesterday and now slowly going back to <70deg. My substrate is soaking wet im totally challenge by this HUMIDITY thing, i will mist Mike-L like i never mist before :D i'll do it after work. THANK YOU ALL!!!

UPDATE!!! he is now cleansing his eyes, i saw him kinda scratching his eyes on a smooth branch and i saw the round eye kinda popping out again wow this is really awesome to see as if i am in national geographic channel lol. Once again to all who HELP and RESPONSE and REPLIED....THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR TIME!!!!

GOD BLESS THIS FORUM and GOD BLESS US ALL INCLUDING OUR CHAMELEONS!!!

I use an inexpensive cool mist humidifier. About $25 at Target or Walmart. It's easy and it works much better than a bunch of soaking wet substrate - that will just become a cleaning nightmare.

Keep up with long mistings.

IMHO it would be a good idea to take it to a vet. It's eyes should not be close during the day.

Yes Kiny, i know i did took him to the vet last week and my chameleon is under my observation for a week right now and trying to follow advices here in this forum so far there is some improvement but after a week and his eyes are still closed then Vet visit for sure. Now, the only thing really that challenges me is this humidity. For instance, what can i buy (expensive or not) that would generate constant humidity? that i dont have to mist manually, is there such a thing? so anyway, i cant wait to go home and check my buddy Mike-L my Jackson chameleon to see if he's doing much better.

Thanks again for all of you who responded to this help.

Back
Top Bottom