My DIY Rain Nozzle Misting System For Under $75

Well Today I got to try out my DIY misting system and I must say I am very impressed and glad I did this.. I have plenty of space on top of cage, I went to the dollar store and purchased a smaller container for my little dripper and used the drip nozzle from it. My new mister only mists the spot I want it to. My basking spot stays dry and warm. My feeder cup stays dry as well. Love it! I made the rain nozzle like the mistkings but smaller to fit my top cage , purchased everything online, for a total of $74.39.. Love it. Its on a timer. Dont have to rush home now. Or wake him up early before work..I gotta admit it, for a first time cham owner i def out did myself. Awesome setup, drain system and misting system. Im happy!!View attachment 190245 View attachment 190241 View attachment 190242 View attachment 190243 View attachment 190244
Can I borrow you for a week or so?

They don't have stock of my pumps atm
I am confused, maybe I'm missing something ( I did not read whole thread). The pump needs to be below the reservoir to operate properly. You should not have the pump on top of the reservoir.

Actually, these (medog/ ieik) don't need to be below the source. I've been running the medog/ ieik pumps for two years come Oct. The pump @Panthro413 and @Trailgem used isn't the same as mine though as I wanted the threaded connections on mine.

They don't have stock of my pumps atm

Actually, these (medog/ ieik) don't need to be below the source. I've been running the medog/ ieik pumps for two years come Oct. The pump @Panthro413 and @Trailgem used isn't the same as mine though as I wanted the threaded connections on mine.

Ok, that explains it. I read DIY Mistking and assumed they were using a Mistking pump. I would still give it a try mounting the pump on the floor and let gravity help.

Ok, that explains it. I read DIY Mistking and assumed they were using a Mistking pump. I would still give it a try mounting the pump on the floor and let gravity help.

I have my mistking (amazon didn't have my pump at the time I needed it sadly) laying on the lid too lol. Key to that is the ball valve from what I've experienced. Left the ball valve cracked just a tad to self prime on setup and she's been running that way since March some time. Only pump not on top of the tub I have is the one under Lola that I screwed to her stand.

Not prime? What did the first pump do again? Pressure is a tad stronger then mine but should be ok with the ball valve opened a bit.
No, I have prime. I just thought they made you pay the cost to send it back. I guess i’d just have to buy a box and that’s no big deal.
I’m surprised this isn’t working if it worked fine for Panthro. To be honest I thought his simple setup was perfect. I didn’t need anything fancier but I do need it to actually work.

The other pump didn’t connect properly.

No, I have prime. I just thought they made you pay the cost to send it back. I guess i’d just have to buy a box and that’s no big deal.
I’m surprised this isn’t working if it worked fine for Panthro. To be honest I thought his simple setup was perfect. I didn’t need anything fancier but I do need it to actually work.

The other pump didn’t connect properly.

I've never paid the cost to ship something back. Just make sure you mark it as "item defective or does not work" and watch how much the refund is before finalizing. The first pump looks like the threaded section is likely 1/2 npt like my pumps. Just yours has the nipple to secure poly tubing with. Are you close to a Lowe's?

I've never paid the cost to ship something back. Just make sure you mark it as "item defective or does not work" and watch how much the refund is before finalizing. The first pump looks like the threaded section is likely 1/2 npt like my pumps. Just yours has the nipple to secure poly tubing with. Are you close to a Lowe's?
I'm close to a home depot which should help. Also, you mentioned that your pump isn't in stock. Is there a different one you recommend?

Last edited:
I'm close to a home depot which should help.

Take the tube nut off the .9 mpa pump and see if it screws on to 1/2 sprinkler riser. If it does use a hacksaw to trim the nipples off that pump leaving the threaded sections behind. The pic with the nipple isn't your exact pump but gives you an idea roughly of yours compared to mine without the nipples. I haven't seen this fitting at my home depot but have at Lowe's. Two of these fittings screwed on to the threads of the pump will get you what I have with ~14 more psi from your pump.

Screenshot_2019-06-22-17-44-13.png Screenshot_2019-06-22-22-16-13.png Screenshot_2019-06-22-22-15-30.png

Take the tube nut off the .9 mpa pump and see if it screws on to 1/2 sprinkler riser. If it does use a hacksaw to trim the nipples off that pump leaving the threaded sections behind. The pic with the nipple isn't your exact pump but gives you an idea roughly of yours compared to mine without the nipples. I haven't seen this fitting at my home depot but have at Lowe's. Two of these fittings screwed on to the threads of the pump will get you what I have with ~14 more psi from your pump.

View attachment 236938View attachment 236939View attachment 236940
And this will solve the issue I'm having with the noise?
And which pump should I buy again?

And this will solve the issue I'm having with the noise?
And which pump should I buy again?

Don't buy another pump. The first pump you bought is the .9mpa pump. That is about 130 psi which is about 14 more then my pumps and should be able to do this diy with no problem. See if the nut will screw on to the 1/2 riser and we'll work from there. They aren't quiet by any stretch of the imagination though. Here is Mike's video of his after walking him through it to give you an idea of how noisy they are (about 11 min 50 sec).

Don't buy another pump. The first pump you bought is the .9mpa pump. That is about 130 psi which is about 14 more then my pumps and should be able to do this diy with no problem. See if the nut will screw on to the 1/2 riser and we'll work from there. They aren't quiet by any stretch of the imagination though. Here is Mike's video of his after walking him through it to give you an idea of how noisy they are (about 11 min 50 sec).

Wow, that sounds exactly like mine, which means mine is technically working (as long as I don't use the ball valve). I just didn't realize it would be that darn loud. Wish Panthro had mentioned that because I'm afraid it's going to be too loud. We live in a 1=bedroom apartment in LA so there's nowhere to really hide the thing. Maybe I can build some type of containment box to go over the pump...
Well I'm going to start by redesigning this thing the way you recommended and then play around some with it. Wish me luck.

Wow, that sounds exactly like mine, which means mine is technically working (as long as I don't use the ball valve). I just didn't realize it would be that darn loud. Wish Panthro had mentioned that because I'm afraid it's going to be too loud. We live in a 1=bedroom apartment in LA so there's nowhere to really hide the thing. Maybe I can build some type of containment box to go over the pump...
Well I'm going to start by redesigning this thing the way you recommended and then play around some with it. Wish me luck.

Yes, technically it is working but occasionally a bad pump is sent out that can't build the pressure needed to "work properly" for this. I did have to send 1 back due to this. It would run but just didn't build the pressure like the others, it was only good for a free flow transfer style pump so I exchanged it. I'm kind of leaning towards that being the issue with the your second pump. Let me know if the threads are 1/2 and if you can find the fittings I put the pic up of earlier. I'll try to walk you through how I set my ball valve's after that.

My 5Lpm 116psi does run just two nozzles with the same adjustments as it does for 5 nozzles btw.

Iv had my Cham for about 1.5 weeks now and I really hate having to mist every morning before work lol. I have an awesome drain system so My next project is a Misting system. I really like the Mistking Adjustable Rain Nozzle instead of misting from within cage so I went ahead and purchased all the pieces I needed to make my own System. For all the items in the photo plus a bucket and lid I payed $75. I saved about $55. I could of just purchased the MistKing starter system but Wanted to save a few bucks since Iv put well over $1000 Into my Cham and setup already. Here are the parts I got. The Rain Nozzle is just an example of what Im trying to accomplish, I didnt purchase it. Was cheaper to buy the pieces because of shipping costs would have came out to $30 just for that piece alone. Once I have it all set up Ill let you guys know how it runs. Ordered these parts today.View attachment 189928 View attachment 189930

Imalways down for a cheaper way do things, this isnt the most affordable lifestyle thats for sure

Mistking isn't loud :p.
Cheap Chinese pump. Loud, inefficient and prone to failure. That's why they are 20 dollars lol.

If you want a quiet more robust pump, check out RO booster pumps. They are more, a tad less than MK pump standalone though.

Last edited:
Mistking isn't loud :p.
Cheap Chinese pump. Loud, inefficient and prone to failure. That's why they are 20 dollars lol.

If you want a quiet more robust pump, check out RO booster pumps. They are more, a tad less than MK pump standalone though.

I've seen videos of the mistking in action and it is more quiet than the cheaper pumps. I'm really not willing to spend close to $100 on a pump though. I'd probably buy a mistking pump before one of those. That being said, this cheap one will work until it doesn't.

Yes, technically it is working but occasionally a bad pump is sent out that can't build the pressure needed to "work properly" for this. I did have to send 1 back due to this. It would run but just didn't build the pressure like the others, it was only good for a free flow transfer style pump so I exchanged it. I'm kind of leaning towards that being the issue with the your second pump. Let me know if the threads are 1/2 and if you can find the fittings I put the pic up of earlier. I'll try to walk you through how I set my ball valve's after that.
Okay, I purchased the connectors and I sawed off the tips of my pump. I'll hit you up in a couple days :)

I've seen videos of the mistking in action and it is more quiet than the cheaper pumps. I'm really not willing to spend close to $100 on a pump though. I'd probably buy a mistking pump before one of those. That being said, this cheap one will work until it doesn't.

Your not spending 100 on just a pump though. Your getting a timer, pump, Nozzles, ect. I don't recall what the Mistking starter comes with, but this one.

https://pro-products.com/pro-mist/

Pm50 not a bad deal. Comes with pump, 2 nozzles, tubing, ect. For 109, not bad.

I prefer MK nozzles, not because of the tips or the mist but all the moveable stuff to it. Idk that promist offers that, it says it offers their Point and Locks, which are nice, but mine didn't come with them (that was a long long time ago).

If it comes with the P&Ls, 109 is a steal. With 2 MK nozzles, and the cheap pump, + Tubing and all the other accessories. Your at what 70-80? 30 dollars more for a quiet more reliable pump would be a no brainier to me. I have the Pm50d it's silent. I have MK pump too, and nozzles and tubing ect from both.

I prefer Promist tubing, though I use MK on black cages. PM tubing is softer easier to move, easier to route, just feels nicer. MK tubing feels like the same stuff you get in the garden center at Walmart.

The nozzles, are a tie, they perform about the same, again the black I like, though soon I will be doing some white Vivs, and will use PM Nozzles/Hose.

Your not spending 100 on just a pump though. Your getting a timer, pump, Nozzles, ect. I don't recall what the Mistking starter comes with, but this one.

I prefer MK nozzles, not because of the tips or the mist but all the moveable stuff to it. Idk that promist offers that, it says it offers their Point and Locks, which are nice, but mine didn't come with them (that was a long long time ago).

If it comes with the P&Ls, 109 is a steal. With 2 MK nozzles, and the cheap pump, + Tubing and all the other accessories. Your at what 70-80? 30 dollars more for a quiet more reliable pump would be a no brainier to me. I have the Pm50d it's silent. I have MK pump too, and nozzles and tubing ect from both.

I prefer Promist tubing, though I use MK on black cages. PM tubing is softer easier to move, easier to route, just feels nicer. MK tubing feels like the same stuff you get in the garden center at Walmart.

The nozzles, are a tie, they perform about the same, again the black I like, though soon I will be doing some white Vivs, and will use PM Nozzles/Hose.
Yes, i’m at $70 dollars, but with that I bought extra tubing and connectors (to eventually connect to more places if need be) and I am using a mistking sprayer. I’m also not getting a lot of that money back so spending an extra $110 or what have you doesn’t seem worth it to me at this point.
now if I could go back in time maybe I would have just bought the mistking system. That being said, I love the DIY aspect of things so i’m not too concerned.

Thanks for the information though.

You're right, mistking is quiet, very quiet. So quiet in fact I left a tube loose to hear the vibration to know it's running lol. That being said, I still prefer my three diy systems to my mistking system. The mistking is perfect for the baby rack due to the timer but, when doing rain and mist together (I believe it was you in the Lola thread I was talking with about it?) Marty flat out told me his systems aren't the solution (actually told me it is impossible to do period which is why I held out from them in the first place).

Yes, these pumps are noisy and yes, in my experience have a usable life span of ~14 months for our purposes. But, they can/ will run rain and mist off one pump where mistking can't according to the owner. My oldest pump died completely at 14 months, my second oldest is at ~16 months but is no longer capable of building enough pressure for misting so it is now used for emptying my drain tubs.

Back
Top Bottom