My DIY Rain Nozzle Misting System For Under $75

No worries if not. I noticed your pump is back in stock. I just have to keep it next to my aquarium and i'm afraid the noise will bother the chameleon.

The noise doesn't bother mine so I wouldn't stress that part. Can you take the nut to your home depot and try it with a 1/4 and a 3/8 bolt? If it fits one of those last I looked Amazon carries the adapter in 1/4 x 1/4 and 3/8 x 1/4 as well. Then just send the 1/2 x 1/4 back and save having to buy another pump for now.

The noise doesn't bother mine so I wouldn't stress that part. Can you take the nut to your home depot and try it with a 1/4 and a 3/8 bolt? If it fits one of those last I looked Amazon carries the adapter in 1/4 x 1/4 and 3/8 x 1/4 as well. Then just send the 1/2 x 1/4 back and save having to buy another pump for now.
Yeah, I can do that. I'll check it out in the next couple of days.

Yeah, I can do that. I'll check it out in the next couple of days.

Cool, if not and you're wanting quiet, aquatec 8852-2J03-B424-TM3AMP (pump and power supply is 99 on Amazon) may get you there for one cage with both mister and rain. Would likely take some really fine tuning on metering valve to do it though as it's half the flow of the loud ones I use. I keep the "relief ball valve" ("a" in the pic) on that open ~ 1/2 to 3/4 though. My mist nozzles in that system are a tad higher flow rate then the tefon nozzle mistking uses though I believe so you may be ok there.

The 1/4 x 1/4 are a little pricey for just 3 but here's the ones I found just now for both sizes if you find a matching bolt size with the nut.

Screenshot_2019-06-28-22-45-54.png Screenshot_2019-06-28-22-47-13.png

Damn, you found those fast haha. You're a wizard.

So I think I'm going to buy the Aquatec pump instead! Amazon gave us $100 for screwing up so many of our shipments, so essentially they are buying us a pump.

Lol, if my phone didn't kick me back to the app every time I search Amazon through google..... Awesome on Amazon credit!! Hopefully it's enough to run both systems together for you. May have to upgrade to 3/8 from the reservoir to pump and pump up to the cage then reduce back to 1/4. But, I'd try it as is and see if you can tweak the different valves first.

Lol, if my phone didn't kick me back to the app every time I search Amazon through google..... Awesome on Amazon credit!! Hopefully it's enough to run both systems together for you. May have to upgrade to 3/8 from the reservoir to pump and pump up to the cage then reduce back to 1/4. But, I'd try it as is and see if you can tweak the different valves first.
This project keeps throwing wrenches at me. Nothing works on this pump as far as connectors. I tried 1/2" connectors and returned them for being too big. I just got the 3/8ths and it's barely too small. I think there's something odd about this pump and i'm just wasting time and money at this point.
The connectors took forever due to amazon delays and now i'm back to square one.

Is there a pump you'd recommend that you know works?

I'm over trying to make this one work.

Last edited:
This project keeps throwing wrenches at me. Nothing works on this pump as far as connectors. I tried 1/2" connectors and returned them for being too big. I just got the 3/8ths and it's barely too small. I think there's something odd about this pump and i'm just wasting time and money at this point.
The connectors took forever due to amazon delays and now i'm back to square one.

Is there a pump you'd recommend that you know works?

I'm over trying to make this one work.

Thought you were moving on with the aquatec since Amazon gave you a credit? If not, ik my pump works with the 1/2 fpt x 1/4 push connect fittings.

Thought you were moving on with the aquatec since Amazon gave you a credit? If not, ik my pump works with the 1/2 fpt x 1/4 push connect fittings.
Oh, yes. I forgot to update you on that. The aquaponics pump wasn't covered through the amazon store credit, so I bought your pump with the correct fittings. The only issue i'm having now is getting my valve set up correctly. So far I get a little spray and then it stops (and this is only with the ball valve completely shut).

I've had issues where if my system runs dry at all I need to purge the lines and submerge my mist nozzels it seems they get air in them and only partially spray or only drip I'm not sure but air in your system might be affecting spray / mist. Since your closing the valve the pump might run itself empty then push some air into the lines. Total guess hope you can trouble shoot it and find a fix.

Valve's not bad but, the pump does need to be a tad closer to the water source. Temporarily, lay it on the bucket (wash cloth between the pump and lid helps a little with the noise) and try running it again. With the exception of Lola's (the a,b,c,d pic) and the updated version where it's mounted to 3/4 pvc, all of mine are laying on the tops with no issues. Lola's is mounted but still closer to the top of the source then yours.

When I set my valves I run wide open to purge the air in the pump. Then go to about half way closed and see how it sounds. There is a sweet spot to listen for where it's quiet and starts hitting pressure cutoff and being to loud with more flow through the valve. So I find the spot where it gets quieter with a little pressure cutoff happening and then crack the valve open just a touch more and leave it. Sort of an easy way to hear if mist nozzles need cleaned because the pump hits the pressure cutoff before they are completely clogged.

I've had issues where if my system runs dry at all I need to purge the lines and submerge my mist nozzels it seems they get air in them and only partially spray or only drip I'm not sure but air in your system might be affecting spray / mist. Since your closing the valve the pump might run itself empty then push some air into the lines. Total guess hope you can trouble shoot it and find a fix.

In this case the ball valve is there to "relieve" pressure so the pump doesn't hit pressure cutoff. Closing it just forces more water up to the nozzles eventually causing the pump to hit cutoff cause it's really designed to be used in stuff like trailer mounted fertilizer sprayers.

Valve's not bad but, the pump does need to be a tad closer to the water source. Temporarily, lay it on the bucket (wash cloth between the pump and lid helps a little with the noise) and try running it again. With the exception of Lola's (the a,b,c,d pic) and the updated version where it's mounted to 3/4 pvc, all of mine are laying on the tops with no issues. Lola's is mounted but still closer to the top of the source then yours.

When I set my valves I run wide open to purge the air in the pump. Then go to about half way closed and see how it sounds. There is a sweet spot to listen for where it's quiet and starts hitting pressure cutoff and being to loud with more flow through the valve. So I find the spot where it gets quieter with a little pressure cutoff happening and then crack the valve open just a touch more and leave it. Sort of an easy way to hear if mist nozzles need cleaned because the pump hits the pressure cutoff before they are completely clogged.

Anyways, after you do this you can shift the pump back to the stand and slowly work up until you see you're back to the same issue. I would try to aim for keeping the bottom of the pump within 6" of the top of the bucket though. I think on my updated version with pvc supply I'm about 3 maybe 4" above the top of the tub.

Also another thought that I havent asked yet, how is the inside of your bucket set up?

Also another thought that I havent asked yet, how is the inside of your bucket set up?
Oh, there's just one (main) line that goes down to the very bottom of the bucket. And also the line that feeds back into it drops down about 6", and then there's a little water heater on the bottom as well, to keep the water warm.

Back
Top Bottom