My DIY Rain Nozzle Misting System For Under $75

You're right, mistking is quiet, very quiet. So quiet in fact I left a tube loose to hear the vibration to know it's running lol. That being said, I still prefer my three diy systems to my mistking system. The mistking is perfect for the baby rack due to the timer but, when doing rain and mist together (I believe it was you in the Lola thread I was talking with about it?) Marty flat out told me his systems aren't the solution (actually told me it is impossible to do period which is why I held out from them in the first place).

Yes, these pumps are noisy and yes, in my experience have a usable life span of ~14 months for our purposes. But, they can/ will run rain and mist off one pump where mistking can't according to the owner. My oldest pump died completely at 14 months, my second oldest is at ~16 months but is no longer capable of building enough pressure for misting so it is now used for emptying my drain tubs.

Wait rain and misting? Same pump? Yes a Mistking pump won't work for rain, but I wouldn't think these would either? Aren't they too high PSI for that??

And it's possible, I am into the rain idea heavily, and also remember the Lola thread. :).

Wait rain and misting? Same pump? Yes a Mistking pump won't work for rain, but I wouldn't think these would either? Aren't they too high PSI for that??

And it's possible, I am into the rain idea heavily, and also remember the Lola thread. :).

I never saw the outcome of your rain system from fb a while back, did you post about it here by chance? With a little ball valve/ metering valve tinkering these pumps are more then capable of running it. This is still running like the day I put it together last year. Have had to refresh the holes in rain system since then but works to my liking until I have time to play with a different idea down the line.

Screenshot_2019-06-27-14-58-12.png

One thing I may do in the future, though, is buy one of those pumps you referenced previously. Probably depends on how much the noise bothers me and the wife.
A
You're right, mistking is quiet, very quiet. So quiet in fact I left a tube loose to hear the vibration to know it's running lol. That being said, I still prefer my three diy systems to my mistking system. The mistking is perfect for the baby rack due to the timer but, when doing rain and mist together (I believe it was you in the Lola thread I was talking with about it?) Marty flat out told me his systems aren't the solution (actually told me it is impossible to do period which is why I held out from them in the first place).

Yes, these pumps are noisy and yes, in my experience have a usable life span of ~14 months for our purposes. But, they can/ will run rain and mist off one pump where mistking can't according to the owner. My oldest pump died completely at 14 months, my second oldest is at ~16 months but is no longer capable of building enough pressure for misting so it is now used for emptying my drain tubs.
oh i’d love to throw in a rain feature as well. What do you use to accomplish that?
Btw i’m still waiting for the connectors but they should be here by tomorrow. Amazon prime is just running a bit late.

One thing I may do in the future, though, is buy one of those pumps you referenced previously. Probably depends on how much the noise bothers me and the wife.
A

oh i’d love to throw in a rain feature as well. What do you use to accomplish that?
Btw i’m still waiting for the connectors but they should be here by tomorrow. Amazon prime is just running a bit late.

I'll try to run through it after work tonight. "Lola's cage build" is the thread of mine all the info is contained in with video of it running though.

I never saw the outcome of your rain system from fb a while back, did you post about it here by chance? With a little ball valve/ metering valve tinkering these pumps are more then capable of running it. This is still running like the day I put it together last year. Have had to refresh the holes in rain system since then but works to my liking until I have time to play with a different idea down the line.

View attachment 237523

Never got a chance to finish it. Got busy, and then just recently got back to the project, and have been doing other stuff.

Trying to conquer the LEDs atm :). Got them built and running, however at full blast the shadows show blue trim have to diffuse better :).

I'll be back to the rain system soon. And have pictures of the Viv, I freshly transfered some plants in last week but left them in the sun the day before so they are not happy with me. With the sun being hot and the shock of moving they don't look their best lol.

You should make a thread about your rain, I am curious to see it :).

I'll try to run through it after work tonight. "Lola's cage build" is the thread of mine all the info is contained in with video of it running though.
Where did you get those drip lines that you attached to the connectors? I have all the connectors I would need, but I'll have to find drip lines like yours to plug in.

Where did you get those drip lines that you attached to the connectors? I have all the connectors I would need, but I'll have to find drip lines like yours to plug in.

It's just 1/4 supply line like you use from the pump to the nozzle. I used a piece of plywood the size I wanted the whole thing to be. Made marks on the plywood every 1" I think then secured the tube to the plywood. Then use a push pin to make the holes at each mark. Don't worry if you're off a little in your line of holes from side to side. Mine is definitely not a perfect row but it helps add to to the randomized drops I think.

The metering valve (d in the above pic) is what controls the flow of water for it. It is a much finer control then a regular ball valve and makes controlling speed of the drops easier. I know someone else on here used a brass needle valve from home depot for a similar setup but I had the stainless swagelok's from when I took my planted tanks down.

Any other questions on it or did the info from Lola's build thread cover everything ok?

Never got a chance to finish it. Got busy, and then just recently got back to the project, and have been doing other stuff.

Trying to conquer the LEDs atm :). Got them built and running, however at full blast the shadows show blue trim have to diffuse better :).

I'll be back to the rain system soon. And have pictures of the Viv, I freshly transfered some plants in last week but left them in the sun the day before so they are not happy with me. With the sun being hot and the shock of moving they don't look their best lol.

You should make a thread about your rain, I am curious to see it :).

Gotcha, I'm curious to see what you come up with on it lol. I suppose I could do a seperate thread to seperate that info out from Lola's build. My led venture has been on the back burner lately though, not enough time in the day lol.

Gotcha, I'm curious to see what you come up with on it lol. I suppose I could do a seperate thread to seperate that info out from Lola's build. My led venture has been on the back burner lately though, not enough time in the day lol.

I have to brush up on Lola's now. Do you have a video of the rain? That diaphragm isn't too much pressure?

It's just 1/4 supply line like you use from the pump to the nozzle. I used a piece of plywood the size I wanted the whole thing to be. Made marks on the plywood every 1" I think then secured the tube to the plywood. Then use a push pin to make the holes at each mark. Don't worry if you're off a little in your line of holes from side to side. Mine is definitely not a perfect row but it helps add to to the randomized drops I think.

The metering valve (d in the above pic) is what controls the flow of water for it. It is a much finer control then a regular ball valve and makes controlling speed of the drops easier. I know someone else on here used a brass needle valve from home depot for a similar setup but I had the stainless swagelok's from when I took my planted tanks down.

Any other questions on it or did the info from Lola's build thread cover everything ok?
I think I got it! Thank you.

So apparently my pump is not 1/2" so i'm going to need a new one after all.
Any suggestions? I'm down to spend a bit more for something that's quieter.

Did the nuts that screw on fit the 1/2 riser pipe or no? Now I'm curious what size that nut is...3/8 maybe? Is the adpater piece from amazon to big or to small?

Give me a few on the pump for a quieter one. Looking through aquatec's pumps for a high flow high pressure model....

Give me a few on the pump for a quieter one. Looking through aquatec's pumps for a high flow high pressure model....
No worries if not. I noticed your pump is back in stock. I just have to keep it next to my aquarium and i'm afraid the noise will bother the chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom