My chameleon laying eggs

It depends on you girls individual preference.
If it's already near lights out where you are then she won't do anything overnight and can be in her cage. I would have a container in her cage if you can ready for when she wakes up. If she does;t go for that you may need to do the bigger bin.

No she needs normal daylight hours and normal dark hours just like in the wild. She will need the sleep. She may even sleep in a hole she's dug and then lay the next day.

1/2 play sand like for sandboxes and 1/2 ecoearth from the petstore. Mix it together completely and make it damp but not wet, just enough that it will clump if squeezed in your fist but not drip.

When I had a female veiled, my laybox was 1/3 sterile soil, 1/3 sterile sand and 1/3 coco fiber as I found it made it just as easy to dig in as what @JacksJill suggested but produced sturdy tunnels as well as more forgiving with how much moisture it needed to make stable tunnels. And from what I've learned in geology classes it also makes sense as it has better cohesion between particles and the coco fiber basically acts as a stand in for plant roots making for a very stable soil overall.

And no a cardboard box would not work. Would get soggy. You need a plastic bin. I know it's stressful if this is your first experience with this, but take a few breaths and calm down.

You will need a plastic or ceramic container. The cardboard will collapse when it gets damp. Dark colors work better than light so light doesn't show thru.

Only reason I used the mix I did was because I found a soil sand only mix was not the easiest to keep in the right moisture range. The coco fiber can help deal with having too much water, as well as be a source of water when needed. I just found it more stable and easier in upkeep. Also, if possible, try to basically have a curtain of vines around the perimeter of the lay bin. In my setup, myself laybin was surrounded by pothos vines and I honestly never had to cover the cage come egg laying time, not to mention, the vines enable them to access the laybin more easily in some cases.

Back
Top Bottom