My Chameleon is SO scared of me!

the cw

I recently got a Juvenile Veiled Chameleon from FL Chams(CBB he said), and I am so shocked at how skittish he is. It is making it very difficult to feed my little Cham--the feeding bin I had prepared it won't go near; when I put anything in it, he runs to the other side of the enclosure and won't go back until it's removed--and the cage has so much cover that letting crickets wander around isn't going so great.

He HAS eaten(saw him chow down on some nice crickets) and is drinking, and he is a bright green most of the time so I don't think there's an underlying problem. However, I guess I just figured he would be *slightly* more receptive to me doing things in his enclosure(since he's CBB and all).

Any advice on how to win him over and/or feed him would be greatly appreciated. He's looked sort of skinny since I got him, and I would really love to give him wax worms but he is just so terrified of me and everything I do.

(For disclosure, I've had many reptiles in the past and I've never seen one so scared as this guy is--maybe anoles, but that's about it).

i just got one about 3 days ago and mine is also scared of me but im just thinking it takes time they need to get use to there new home and then gotta get use to u.

I am free ranging the crickets right now. It's hard, as you might imagine, keeping track of how many he's eating(and at this age, he should be eating quite a bit). His cage has LOTS of cover--wish I had a camera to show--and it makes it tricky to keep track of the crickets.

Should I throw like 10+ crickets in there and just let them run around? I've been putting two at a time thus far.

And, yeah, maybe I am(and was) overreacting about him being nervous. I'm just shocked at how skittish he is; my last lizards have all been so calm from day one.

I am free ranging the crickets right now. It's hard, as you might imagine, keeping track of how many he's eating(and at this age, he should be eating quite a bit). His cage has LOTS of cover--wish I had a camera to show--and it makes it tricky to keep track of the crickets.

Should I throw like 10+ crickets in there and just let them run around? I've been putting two at a time thus far.

And, yeah, maybe I am(and was) overreacting about him being nervous. I'm just shocked at how skittish he is; my last lizards have all been so calm from day one.

How big is the tank/cage?

Leave him alone.. Let him get used to the enclosure. I wouldn't bother him for the next month or so that way he gets accommodated to his new surroundings.

btw, answer my pm.

I want to leave him alone. That's the thing. Free ranging crickets is, then, the right thing to do? Just throw like 10 in there and leave him be? I'm more than happy to do that.

PM sent.

I'd leave like 20 in there just so they are everywhere and no matter where your cham is, he'll see at least one. Check on him later and see how many he's eaten. The cage is small enough for him to find the crickets around there.

I just put 12 in there and we'll see how it goes. I'm leaving for work soon enough, and I can check on how many there are after I come back.

Thanks again everyone. I know I'm probably just overreacting--I mean, I've seen him eat and drink--but I just want to make sure this is solved.

Hi! I got my panther 10 days ago and he won't use the feeding cup!
And as you said, free range food, when the chameleon us 4 months old and the crickets are small, is not really an option!
So I hand feed him, when is in the mood! Somedays will eat 5 crickets some others 10, but as you said, he's drinking, pooing ok and he seems happy! Don't worry about it, they just need time to settle in. :)

Relax. Soon you will be scared of him.

lmfao!!! with a veiled that is soo true!!! yeah give him about 2 weeks to get use to his new home the trip in a plastic cup can take a toll on him. my oustalate still hasent forgiven me for putting him in a box to get him to my house!!! and that was like 4 months ago but he still hand feed from me just give him some time and then hand feed him some silk or small hornworms as a treat.

Yeah, he's not in the mood for being hand fed; he runs as soon as I open the cage. Leaving my hand in there makes him go *Dark* brown. I don't like that.

Right now, I'm leaving him alone and seeing if he goes for any of the crickets in there. The temps are good, I think(basking area is around 90), but he still is brown right now. We'll see later. He just got misted, and that does seem to bother him(lol, like everything else).

Somebody correct me ease if I'm saying a stupid thing.. But they usually go dark brown for absorb more heat, font they?

I'm not sure what to make of it. He's brown most of the time(got him yesterday), but the temps are good(70 would be the coldest it gets) and the basking area gets to 95; where he's at would be around the 80's.

He seems really skinny--his ribs were visible when I opened him up yesterday and they still are(normal for his age?)--but hasn't shown any interest in the crickets I've put in today. He ate 4 yesterday, but he's looking at a cricket right now that's moving and is showing no interest at all.

Should do a spell checking before posting! Sorry! Lol
Yep, I was freaked out too, but I noticed that my panther was dark only when basking, stopped being worried after I've been told the heat thing!:)

I'm not sure what to make of it. He's brown most of the time(got him yesterday), but the temps are good(70 would be the coldest it gets) and the basking area gets to 95; where he's at would be around the 80's.

He seems really skinny--his ribs were visible when I opened him up yesterday and they still are(normal for his age?)--but hasn't shown any interest in the crickets I've put in today. He ate 4 yesterday, but he's looking at a cricket right now that's moving and is showing no interest at all.

Forgot to mention that they also turn brown when they're cold.

Thats normal that you can see his ribs a bit. Upload a picture though. How old is he?

Back
Top Bottom