My Chameleon is SO scared of me!

Here are two pictures. FLChams said he was 3-4 months old.

cham1.jpg

cham2.jpg

In the second one you can really see the ribs. He was like that yesterday when I got him. Is that normal?

He looks more like 2-3 months to me. Yeah, he's a cute looking little guy and looks healthy.

He should be eating around 15-20 crickets a day.

Could you upload some better quality pictures of him though? I want to make sure its actually a him. :D

As the title of the thread says, he is *very* shy at the moment. He almost posed for those pictures, but he's right now hiding and looking stressed. Maybe later I can get a better picture.

I guess I'm still worried. He looks good? His side(s) are supposed to look like that? I've raised many geckos, and I've always heard that this is very bad for them to look like that. Are Chams very different in this respect?

As the title of the thread says, he is *very* shy at the moment. He almost posed for those pictures, but he's right now hiding and looking stressed. Maybe later I can get a better picture.

I guess I'm still worried. He looks good? His side(s) are supposed to look like that? I've raised many geckos, and I've always heard that this is very bad for them to look like that. Are Chams very different in this respect?

Ah, okay.

He LOOKS fine to me. Its kind of hard to tell with the quality of the picture. Make sure that he eats around 15-20 crickets a day. :)

Well, I've put like 12 in there and I'm not sure he's eaten any. :(

He ate 4 yesterday, but we'll see how he goes. I suspect another thread will be made by me soon enough if I don't notice a drop in the cricket population by tonight.

If you just got him he needs time to settle in. With my old chameleon, he didn't eat for the first five days that I had him.

This is the second or the third day that i've had Waldo, and he hasn't eaten yet either.

Part of me knows I'm just being a worrywart, but it's been quite some time since I got a new reptile(especially one that requires such specialized care). I know reptiles are usually reluctant to eat early on, but it would make me feel *much* better if I saw him go for some crickets. I remember having a Tokay Gecko that wouldn't eat in front of me for months but at least I noticed a curious drop in the food wandering the cage. I see 1 less cricket in there, but who knows if it's just hiding.

We'll see how things go. I checked the temp again, too, and it is in the proper range and his dripper is working like a charm.

His side(s) are supposed to look like that? I've raised many geckos, and I've always heard that this is very bad for them to look like that. Are Chams very different in this respect?

Yes, chameleons are very different in this respect. He'll probably "beef up" some when he's an adult, but it's normal to see ribs.

Okay, that's good to hear. I'll keep an eye on him and let folks know if he's doing alright. He's bright green right now and "hiding" behind the ficus. :)

relax

you should not hold him for the first 10 days after he was shipped. think of it like this he was taken from his home, sat in the dark for 24 hours alone with noises, shook around and then the first thing he seen was the big monster (you) that opened the box now this monster keeps messing with him. give him a while to adjust to his new cage find a hiding spot I put the cage right next to my side of the couch so he sees me a lot while I do home work, watch tv or play call of duty. I try and cup feed on cricket then i let the rest run the cage so he can hunt. when I do take him out I reward him with a silk or wax worm, so now he says oh ok I get a worm and i get to go out side ( I take him out side when he comes out) I'm trying to reward him for coming out of the cage so when I open it he will come out. Just take your time he will come around. I would just put the crickets in the cage he will get them. When did you start trying to hold him? how long after you opened the box? I let my little guy hang out in my window he looks about the same age as yours mine is 3.5 almost 4 months. give him a week of no holding just put the crickets in and thats it (i hand spray mines cage) let him see that you provide food and water but dont try and hold him for a week to 10 days. then slowly try and hold him. See about small silk or wax worms for when you do get him to come out (the worms will be a new food so he will be all over it) let me know how it goes.

I am in the same boat as you, but I have been there before, so I just go with it. My favorite chams are quads. Usually quads are very calm,all of mine have been. I bought a 4 month old female quad, that I know is cbb. She is now 8 months and will fall to the bottom of her 36 tall cage before she will let me near her. She will be basking, and I walk in, she heads down to hide in a plant. That is just who April is. I doubt she will change, I love and accept her for who she is. IMO that is what chameleon keeping is.

Back
Top Bottom