Mouth open?

Toph00

So now that its winter time, my heat and humidity has started to drop in his cage. To fix the problem, I put some sower curtain on two sides of his cage and I have up'd the amount of sprays I do on his cage. I have also put a heater on low about 2 feet away from his cage. I have put my hand the cage to make sure it isnt boiling up in there and it only reaches about the front left corner. Whenever I turn on the heater, he will sit in that corner for quite a while, he turns really bright and seems to enjoy. However, he keeps his mouth open for a couple minutes at a time. He only does it when the heater is on. Any ideas on what this is? or if it is even a bad thing?

He keeps his mouth open because hes too hot.
this is how they regulate their body temp.
how cold is the room without the heater on?
too much heat and humidity can create a respiratory infection.
Is his mouth jUST open, or does he appear to be gasping for air, or do you hear any clicking or popping noises when his mouth is open?

zero noises. its around 78 degrees according to the thermometer. and the humidity keeps going from 45-60 percent based on how much water is in there and how long it takes it to evaporate so I try to spray more often. the cage only gets to about 82-83 degrees with the heater on. its definitely cooler in the back though and when its on, he only crawls around on the the vines and even on the front of the cage where the heater is

I have turned off the heater and put him in his tree in the middle of the room until I can figure this out. I am just always worried that he is too cold or its not humid enough for him. I'm a worried parent!

Back
Top Bottom