Randal mouth open

ChamRandal

My Randal (juvenile) has started holding his mouth open and puffing his throat. Today I’ve noticed him under his heat lamp (32degrees) holding his mouth open for an extended amount of time. The hygrometer is sitting around 70.
I have increased the cricket size maybe trouble digesting the larger food?
He is still happy if I go near him doesn’t seem aggressive or in pain??

Attachments

• IMG_2466.jpeg
    IMG_2466.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2469.jpeg
    IMG_2469.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2468.jpeg
    IMG_2468.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 11
My Randal (juvenile) has started holding his mouth open and puffing his throat. Today I’ve noticed him under his heat lamp (32degrees) holding his mouth open for an extended amount of time. The hygrometer is sitting around 70.
I have increased the cricket size maybe trouble digesting the larger food?
He is still happy if I go near him doesn’t seem aggressive or in pain??
Hello and welcome!
That is too high of a heat for a baby like that. You will want the basking area to be more around 80 degrees Fahrenheit, around 26 degrees Celsius I think 🤔 . His gaping could be due him over heating and trying to cool down

What type of heat bulb are you using?

Also if you could fill out this husbandry form that would be awesome! You can copy and pasted it to fill out!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

That is what they do when they are too hot, they will try to thermoregulate by holding their mouth open. You need to turn the heat lamp down or get a lower wattage bulb. Babies are very susceptible to heat.

Back
Top Bottom