Misting system...in the works

I have been working on an RO/misting system/lighting control system for the last few weeks. The control aspect has been in the works for a couple of months.

The goal is to have the misting and lighting schedule on a system that is also somewhat artificially intelligent. I want the system to mist for longer if the humidity in the room is too low, or turn on a humidifier. I want it to turn off the heat lamps if the ambient air temp is too high. I want it to operate an A/C unit to cool the room. I also want it to control the Brine bypass valve when the RO system has completed a cycle of production. I also want it to monitor the waste water run off so that if it is full it will not mist in case the buckets are full and the waste pump has failed. It also must be accessible via the internet.

I think I have what I am looking for.... and here it is in the works...

Bench testing the RO.

IMG_9765.jpg

IMG_9776.jpg

Laying out components. seeing where things should go.

IMG_9782.jpg

Valves can get hot...

IMG_9810.jpg

MistKing pump after a couple of hours of running.

IMG_9811.jpg

The Pressure I get without the pump running... LAME!

IMG_9774.jpg

Brine bypass valve. you can see the restrictor here.

IMG_9827.jpg

some more testing on the layout.

IMG_9834.jpg

sketches of the layout of electronics.

genlayoutcontrol.jpg

You like the big projects don't you! Looks pretty impressive thus far! What're you using to control/monitor it via the internet?

is the big white tank the reservoir for the RO, or is the RO process on that one fast enough to supply the water for the pump directly. I ask because with my use of RO all the ones i have used are slow as crap

O Goodness!
Now we just need a machine that can automatically gutload the insects, Dust them, and shove them into the cage on schedule.

With that contraption, I can finally have a vacation to Hawaii for a week or two without worrying my roommate will mess up on the feeding and misting schedule.

BTW, the semester is over in a week! I'll join the SBCK again for this month :)

is the big white tank the reservoir for the RO, or is the RO process on that one fast enough to supply the water for the pump directly. I ask because with my use of RO all the ones i have used are slow as crap

The white tank is storage. This RO has a 100 gallon per day membrane. I think you would need a bit more flow than that to be able to pull right from the membrane.

O Goodness!
Now we just need a machine that can automatically gutload the insects, Dust them, and shove them into the cage on schedule.

With that contraption, I can finally have a vacation to Hawaii for a week or two without worrying my roommate will mess up on the feeding and misting schedule.

BTW, the semester is over in a week! I'll join the SBCK again for this month :)

Frans, I want to have this thing up and running and bring it to the meeting :eek:

man that should be awesome! keep us posted on your progress. btw love the arrogant bastards in the back! u tried the sublimely self righteous?

I got this spy photo of Kevin hard at work on the cage lighting system.....

-Jay:D

LOL Ya know I showed this pic to my coworker, Eric. He used to be my boss at our old job and everyone called him McGyver.... he laughed and was like 'that's the episode where he....' and I'm like 'you watch that show still?!" His excuse for everything is 'well it was on Netflix....' :rolleyes:

Frans, I want to have this thing up and running and bring it to the meeting :eek:

And I want to come to see it!!!!:eek: This is beautiful!!!!:D Gives me a good idea using an Irritrol PC irrigation controller. Not so damn high tech though:eek:

One question??? Did you already teach it to have a nice refreshing New Castle when it got over heated:p

Small update.

Did some more R&D tonight.

I hooked up the new booster pump. Dialed it in at 90 PSI to the membrane. In order to cut down on needle hop I had to make a little loop to nowhere out of some hose on the hose to the pressure guage. (yellow hose in the top right corner)

IMG_9847.jpg

Here you can see I am getting a TDS of 17. I had it down to 10 with an empty reserve tank (less back pressure)

IMG_9848.jpg

Part of the key to good RO production is the water temperature as it reaches the RO membrane. Buckeye Field Supply puts a LC temp gauge on the side of the first filter canister. It only goes up to 77*F, which is fine because that is your target. When I was at Petsmart I saw a similar temp gauge for fish tanks and grabbed one, it shows a bit more temp range, but with less increments. I will use the original one from BFS for closer more accurate readings.

IMG_9849.jpg

One thing I can not figure out. I purchased these solenoid valves. When I hook them up they work for a while and then quit. I remove the wires and reconnect them, they work again. I am thinking the wire is crap material and doesn't conduct very well? Really frustrating:(

Edit: gonna dial the membrane pressure down to 80 next time I operate the system. did some reading and 90 PSI is about the max you want. I want to give it a bit of breathing room.

One thing I can not figure out. I purchased these solenoid valves. When I hook them up they work for a while and then quit. I remove the wires and reconnect them, they work again. I am thinking the wire is crap material and doesn't conduct very well? Really frustrating:(

That sounds rahther odd. Are they NO or NC? Are you over volting them, how long are they rated for consistent use?

I may be of some assitance

Since I do work with those types of valves everyday;) What brand/model are they? Are they from Lowes:eek: If so take them back;) Most of those valves (especially the smaller ones) run off 24 volts. Like Chad said, you may be over volting them? Another thing which I doubt is the problem but..... Ive noticed the toro 254 3/4 inch valves will get over heated if not enough water is pumping through them when they are on. Most of the time this happens when the module in the controller is sending constant power to it and the valve is stuck shut so there isnt any water going through to cool it. They will eventually shut off and be toasted after that though. A brand and model would be helpful:)

Back
Top Bottom