Misting system...in the works

I did some reworking of the wires this weekend....

in this image there are some 'old' wires in the picture and some new ones. the new ones aren't connected so the old wires are still present. The old wires are hanging over the pressure gauge and go straight down.... those will be removed with the cable you see that is placed a little more neatly. The new cable will be more hidden and less 'ugly'.

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

The new terminal block... labled..

IMG_1361.jpg

A closer look.... the first row of numbers is the terminal number... and the second row represents the device number. so each terminal has a two part number. The first two numbers will be the position and the second pair of numbers will be the device. There is also a color code going on..... sorta.. there are two types of power here... AC and DC. the red and black wires on the right are the DC power wires for the Mist King pump and valve and the black and white wires are for the AC devices... booster pump and the misting valves.

IMG_1362.jpg

You'll notice in this next photo the yellow wires are on the front of the valves...... I am gonna move them behind the valves so they don't look so messy...

IMG_1364.jpg

Did some more wiring today. In the above photos you can see the yellow wires from the valves are overlapping the other valves and hose. and you can see that loom of red and green wires hanging over the front of everything. Also you see a cable with a bunch of wires going off to the side. That cable of 8 wires is there to replace that loom of red and green wires.

My goal is to have simple connections on the misting panel. There should be tap water in, waste water out, RO water to the tank, the four misting zone outputs and the wire connections. I have met the above goal... except the misting zone outputs are all a mess after they leave the panel :rolleyes:.

Here are some pics of the touched up wiring connections. Chad, are you feeling less anxiety?

IMG_1368.jpg

What I ended up with, I used a 8 wire cable with 18 gauge wire wire and a 3 wire cable with 18 gauge wire. The 24DC dvices get their power through the 3 wire cable and the 24AC devices get power from the 8 wire cable. With 11 wires total, I had some extras for if I decide to add something later. I don't know if I have room to add anything though LOL.

IMG_1370.jpg

what size storage tank(bladder tank) do you use?

I forget...lol i think it is a 3.5? maybe a 3?

In the morning I run the misters for 20 minutes with 11 nozzles operating. It brings the tank pretty close to empty. My system doesn't take very long to refill because I use the booster pump and run a 100GPD membrane. I would like to get a second membrane and run it parallel to get a faster refill rate... but I don't NEED it right now. :rolleyes: If I built one of these systems for someone I would be interested to know their misting habits to figure out if they'd have enough production to facilitate the usage they require. I took a shot in the dark and luckily wasn't far off. :eek:

I forget...lol i think it is a 3.5? maybe a 3?

In the morning I run the misters for 20 minutes with 11 nozzles operating. It brings the tank pretty close to empty. My system doesn't take very long to refill because I use the booster pump and run a 100GPD membrane. I would like to get a second membrane and run it parallel to get a faster refill rate... but I don't NEED it right now. :rolleyes: If I built one of these systems for someone I would be interested to know their misting habits to figure out if they'd have enough production to facilitate the usage they require. I took a shot in the dark and luckily wasn't far off. :eek:

You might be able to run another membrane off of your zero waste pump but you will need a few more valves and switches to make it work.
Looks like your not afraid of alot of valves and switches now so why not :D

You might be able to run another membrane off of your zero waste pump but you will need a few more valves and switches to make it work.
Looks like your not afraid of alot of valves and switches now so why not :D

What do I need valves and switches for?

I would have to see a schematic of your conglomeration to tell you.:D

This is from a post in the early part of the thread...

Hoselayoutlabel.jpg

the difference with how it is now vs. that photo, the "F" which is the feed valve, isn't in that spot, it's before the pump in the bathroom under the sink.

I really don't see why I would need valves for a second membrane to operate in parallel or series with my system.

why do you use a pump to run your misters? are you not getting enough pressure from the bladder tank?

Last edited:
Oh, I thought you were using a zero waste kit, where you could use the booster pump from the waste water to run a second membrane for more efficiency.

why do you use a pump to run your misters? are you not getting enough pressure from the bladder tank?

If an RO system operates at a higher pressure than the house pressure, it can be a zero waste system. IE: using a booster pump.

I operate too many nozzle to use tank pressure for more than 2 maybe 3 minutes worth of misting (if that). After that the tank pressure isn't high enough to drive the nozzles. I have anywhere from 4 nozzles to 16 going at once. :)

I redrew the system...

Here it is, as it operates today.

Hoselayout4-3-10.jpg

• 1 - misting valve, zone #1
  • 2 - misting valve, zone #2
  • 3 - misting valve, zone #3
  • 4 - misting valve, zone #4
  • MP - misting pump
  • BP - booster pump
  • ZD - ZipDrip valve
  • BP - bypass valve
  • R - pressure regulator

I change the filters out today. I am glad I finally did it :D

Looking ahead... I plan to change the membrane soon and maybe add a second membrane for giggles... :D

Back
Top Bottom